Why is Kucherov considered great personality and PK Subban a locker room cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I personally like both, so I'm no hypocrite. I mean I was annoyed with Subban as an opposing player, but within the normal bounds. I don't get why he got so much absurd hate.

Reactions: rumrokh

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am just basing this off of the articles I have read. Even here on Hfboards, we have "classless Subban" thing.

I've almost exclusively seen the "classless Subban" thing used ironically, at least on HF. But while you may be right skin color has something to do with it, Avery and Marchand are white and are seen as douchebags.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov is loved by his teammates. Hard to be a lockerroom cancer in that situation.

Not sure what went on in Subban's situation. Always thought the guy was great for the game on camera.

Reactions: Anahome and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I like when the guys show their personality.....that being said, I absolutely hate when they go full on arrogant....could care less if it's Subban, or Kuch, or Sean Avery or whoever......the arrogant BS spewing from these guys, gives them all a bad look......and that's wrong.
Kuch just seemed to lose his mind the other night, not sure how he could be drunk so quickly, so that's no excuse for bad behavior.....he was an absolute sore winner.....weird behavior.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After reading a shit ton of articles where they say Kucherov is a great personality, his post Stanley Cup win interview was epic and the leauge needs more of this this to sell the game and some people liking what he did.

But when PK Subban did showed the same personality and did some things like Kucherov (not to the level of Kucherov), he was considered a locker room cancer and this was "not something the leauge needed. And he was branded as being classless.

Why was this?

Was it because of his skin color and not many people with the same color of skin don't play hockey?
One has a cup, the other doesn't.

Winning changes people's perspective.

Look at Johnny Manzel... people praised his personality in college, then turned on him quickly in the NFL.

Why? Results matter.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think Subban's biggest problem was he at least had a few vocal people from his locker room that didn't like him. If tomorrow there was a headline that was like "Tampa players anonymously denounce Kuch's statements" the narrative would be different. But, from everything that's out there he's well liked by his teammates.

Reactions: Rob

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
After reading a shit ton of articles where they say Kucherov is a great personality, his post Stanley Cup win interview was epic and the leauge needs more of this this to sell the game and some people liking what he did.

But when PK Subban did showed the same personality and did some things like Kucherov (not to the level of Kucherov), he was considered a locker room cancer and this was "not something the leauge needed. And he was branded as being classless.

Why was this?

Was it because of his skin color and not many people with the same color of skin don't play hockey?
I don't like what Kucherov did, and I don't think it shows great personality. I think it shows a prick. I don't think a player should be trashing other team's fans like that, especially for something as silly as celebrating a win in the Finals.

However, what is done at a press conference doesn't equal what is done in the locker-room.

Subban may have been a "great personality" (subjective to one's opinion) at a press conference. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a team disruption behind closed doors.

I am not saying he was a team disruption, as I wasn't in that locker-room. But it has been implied by many people closer to the team than I am that he was a team disruption behind closed doors.

The front that one puts forward to the media and to the fans isn't always how one is like when the cameras are off.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I had great respect for Kuch right up until that presser. WOW NOT ANY MORE. very bad presser, very bad comments. Tampa fans have a right to party for ANY REASON, the habs made it all the way to the SC finals, habs ARE THE CONFERENCE CHAMPS, best year in years. Hab fans have the same rights as Tampa fans, to party for whatever reason they want.

I like when the guys show their personality.....that being said, I absolutely hate when they go full on arrogant....could care less if it's Subban, or Kuch, or Sean Avery or whoever......the arrogant BS spewing from these guys, gives them all a bad look......and that's wrong.
Kuch just seemed to lose his mind the other night, not sure how he could be drunk so quickly, so that's no excuse for bad behavior.....he was an absolute sore winner.....weird behavior.

I don't think what Kucherov did shows personality. I have said that in many threads.

I am not a fan of the Montreal Canadiens either, so nobody should be accusing me of bitterness. I am just trying to be objective.

Pretend you are at a party.

Who would you consider to have greater personality:

A) The guy who can tell interesting stories and mix in a lot of humor within the stories, without bashing anyone.

B) The guy who stands around drinking and bashing everyone (Kucherov bashed the Canadiens fans, the award voters, etc).

I know who I think has greater personality and who I would want to hang around at the party.

Reactions: BLONG7

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think what Kucherov did shows personality. I have said that in many threads.

I am not a fan of the Montreal Canadiens either, so nobody should be accusing me of bitterness. I am just trying to be objective.

Pretend you are at a party.

Who would you consider to have greater personality:

A) The guy who can tell interesting stories and mix in a lot of humor within the stories, without bashing anyone.

B) The guy who stands around drinking and bashing everyone (Kucherov bashed the Canadiens fans, the award voters, etc).

I know who I think has greater personality and who I would want to hang around at the party.
Man who cares. Hockey needs more trash talk. They all chirp the hell out of each other on the ice. Why the old white men insist that they turn into robots who give generic "respectful" answers because they're talking to the media is so silly. Hockey is not a gentleman's game, they still allow players to wail on each other with CTE-causing blows to the head in the middle of a game... no need to pretend it is. It's just a weird culture thing.

Reactions: Anahome

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I'm not sure people really understand why other teammates don't seem to like Subban. The impression I get is that he is like Jonah Hill from This is the End. Fake, and half his personality and niceness is his narcissism and calculated with ulterior motives like views and on social media etc.

Whereas Kucherov showing personality is just being honest and speaking his mind.

I don't know what I'm talking about...this is just the impression I get!

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Man who cares. Hockey needs more trash talk. They all chirp the hell out of each other on the ice. Why the old white men insist that they turn into robots who give generic "respectful" answers because they're talking to the media is so silly. Hockey is not a gentleman's game, they still allow players to wail on each other with CTE-causing blows to the head in the middle of a game... no need to pretend it is. It's just a weird culture thing.
I am perfectly fine with trash talk between players.

I played hockey for many years, and I have heard a lot of things between players that would make people gasp.

But trash talking an opponent's fans for celebrating a win? Especially after your team had just won the Stanley Cup?

What Kucherov did was weak. It is what a loser would do. Not loser as in "you lost the game", but loser as in "you have a loser's attitude and personality".

I probably would have found it funny when I was 15 years old. That right there tells you how low-brow his press conference was, since a 15 year old's standards aren't very high.

Reactions: TheBlob

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of it might also be the difference between Canadiens fans, or really any big market Canadian team, vs. smaller market southern team fans.

Kucherov isn't exactly pulling a Sean Avery here. He's a happy drunk Russian who only shows any glimpse of personality in the three or four days following a cup win. This is a guy whose former claim to fame was never smiling. ...But if he wins a cup, watch out.

Reactions: Hoek

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I am perfectly fine with trash talk between players.

I played hockey for many years, and I have heard a lot of things between players that would make people gasp.

But trash talking an opponent's fans for celebrating a win? Especially after your team had just won the Stanley Cup?

What Kucherov did was weak. It is what a loser would do. Not loser as in "you lost the game", but loser as in "you have a loser's attitude and personality".

I probably would have found it funny when I was 15 years old. That right there tells you how low-brow his press conference was, since a 15 year old's standards aren't very high.
So it's a "loser" thing to do because.... you say so?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
So it's a "loser" thing to do because.... you say so?
Two simple questions:

1) Do you think a player should be putting down another team's fans for celebrating winning a game in the Stanley Cup?

2) Do you think a player should be doing this moments after winning the Stanley Cup?

Reactions: byrath

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Two simple questions:

1) Do you think a player should be putting down another team's fans for celebrating winning a game in the Stanley Cup?

2) Do you think a player should be doing this moments after winning the Stanley Cup?
Sure why not? It's all part of sport. Do you get offended when fans boo opposing players?

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I think the difference is that teammates seem to genuinely love kucherov while Subban wore out his welcome on two consecutive teams. I don't have any real proof of this but i'm a huge believer that where there is smoke there is fire.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Such a weird thread. Before we won the Cup last year many Bolts fans wondered if Kucherov had even less personality than your typical NHL player. Boy were we wrong.

Reactions: Hoek

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Sure why not? It's all part of sport. Do you get offended when fans boo opposing players?
They pay money for the right to boo.

Just like they pay money to buy NHL merchandise, and have the right to celebrate a win in the Finals while wearing that merchandise.

Kucherov having a problem with this shows how immature, petty, and out-of-touch he is.

Reactions: PM88RU

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Two simple questions:

Does it hurt literally anybody? All it does is make Kucherov #1 bullshit in Montreal.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

Why was this?

Say what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad