Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Even though a Penguins "rebuild" was eventually going to happen, I've noticed that some people seem to have a hard time understanding and accepting that we may not be a contender for "awhile" (until 2030, which is my prediction)

However, sports fans aren't satisfied (during a rebuild) until their team becomes a contender again, which means that we'll just have to deal with it until we return to NHL relevance...

IMO, since the Penguins drafted Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, etc) our current generation of Penguin fans may have some issues accepting the fact that we may not be good for some time, even though this happens throughout the sports world:

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, LA Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, etc...

On an extra note, hopefully the Penguins will draft within the Top 5-10 (until they become contenders again) along with possibly winning the draft lottery as well...

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Even though a Penguins "rebuild" was eventually going to happen, I've noticed that some people seem to have a hard time understanding and accepting that we may not be a contender for "awhile" (until 2030, which is my prediction)

However, sports fans aren't satisfied (during a rebuild) until their team becomes a contender again, which means that we'll just have to deal with it until we return to NHL relevance...

IMO, since the Penguins drafted Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, etc) our current generation of Penguin fans may have some issues accepting the fact that we may not be good for some time, even though this happens throughout the sports world:

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, LA Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, etc...

On an extra note, hopefully the Penguins will draft within the Top 5-10 (until they become contenders again) along with possibly winning the draft lottery as well...
As the other posters have mentioned, the Penguins brass is still cosplaying as contenders and intimating that until Crosby retires they will not do a rebuild.

That increasingly seems divorced from reality. And cheering for a team whose management is divorced from reality is really tough.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They're not rebuilding yet. They're being held hostage by Sid's desire to keep playing until after the next Olympics.

So either we get more of this dogshit, or Sid asks to be dealt. I don't think they'd pull him into an office and tell him he's welcome to stick around but they're nuking the coaching staff and trading all assets with any value. They don't have the spine, or brains, for that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why has the FO not accepted the fact that they are rebuilding?

When they accept it, I will accept it.

Until then, apparently they are married to doing the whole one foot in and one-foot out thing.

You know what they say about those who walk in the middle of the road. They get hit by cars going both ways.

Hey, it will still sell tickets.

Given statements by the Core of late, especially Crosby, I wonder if the Core will continue to buy into this strategy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think deep down, we want a good ending to the Sid and Geno era, especially for Sid. Watching such a competitive guy wallow on a shitty team (that is shitty because of a shitty coach and poorly designed) is tough. We want him to squeeze every last bit out of the NHL before it's over.

Now, what I'm about to say is comical because the Penguins have had Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin, but you truly never know if we will ever get a generational talent ever again. We became accustomed to being perennial Stanley cup contenders. Now that those dreams are nearly the end...it's tough.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
if this guy was fired 2018/2019 as he should have...we would have different story here today, there would be way more success and this transition to rebuild would have been way less painless...This trying to squeeze the last drop out of Sid and Geno, all while complementing them with at best mediocrity and the system that produces the least amount of truly dangerous opportunity (kudos to your post @canadianguy77) and stubbornly employing obviously incompetent staff...what a shocker that it is falling apart now

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'm sure most people here were on board with blowing it all up after Malkin and Letang's respective contracts expired.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The team is actually more confused than the fanbase for once IMO.
man, just listening the press conference last night, they are totally confused...Nothing summirizes their clulessness better than Letang: We need more ugly goals! That has been Sully's mantra, throw pucks on the net and depend on lucky bounce, redirect, etc..Not like we have not been pointinig out the same stuff for the last 3+ years....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No way we are going full rebuild. I don't think FSG is interested in that. A retool yes while still trying to be competitive but focusing a lot more on picks and young players now to come in down the road compared to trading everything away like it's been for the last 20 years or so

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What some fans are not accepting is that the players simply are old. Except of course Crosby who made a deal with the Devil and never ages.

Not useless by any stretch, but no longer a core that can carry a team. Some still believe that a different coach and better support players would suddenly make this team cup favorites again. It is delusional.

People forget that except for one year when they did add some key players when the core was still in their prime, the Pens always had mediocre players in the bottom six and/or on lower pairing defense. The core was talented enough to win anyways. That no longer is the case. And some have a problem accepting that.

Management and ownership? They are not idiots. They know all of the above. But this play sells tickets.

The core players? They seemed to be buying into it until this last swoon and the trade of Jake. I actively wondered why competitive players would want to go out that way. Especially Crosby who would make any talented team a Cup favorite. Recent comments seem to show that he is much more conflicted about the idea.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3