Why is called an odd man rush when there can be an even number of players

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It's just the term used. It's typically called that when it's a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 2. So there's an extra attacker, or "the odd man".

I don't ever hear them call it an odd-man rush when it's a 3/4/5 on 1. Usually the commentary just calls it by the numbers at that point.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
It's just the term used. It's typically called that when it's a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 2. So there's an extra attacker, or "the odd man".

I don't ever hear them call it an odd-man rush when it's a 3/4/5 on 1. Usually the commentary just calls it by the numbers at that point.
You never hear 3 on 1 call an odd man rush?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You never hear 3 on 1 call an odd man rush?

So you're gripe is that a tiny fraction of 'odd-man rushes' are 'even-man rushes'?

I mean... you're right - but it probably doesn't bother enough people to even be considered. That's my best guess in terms of answering your original question.

Note: It could also reference the total number as well as the rushing team's players alone.
2 on 1 = Overall number is odd
3 on 1 = Rushing team has odd number of players

The only exception (which is exceedingly rare) would be a 4 on 2. You could also argue 6 on 4 and 6 on 2, but IDK if anyone would even call that an odd man rush, and it probably never happens in an actual game. lol

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The original odd man rush was recorded in an early match of the Lewiston Lumberjacks vs the Portland Preferred Pronouns.

Daryl "Odd" Rushinsky and Miguel "Man" Santos skated 2 against 1 against Otto Oddavarian "Rush "Manning (in addition to sucking as basic science like inventing AI and obscure cryptocurrencies they also sucked at nicknames back then).

No goal was scored on the play as an illegal forward pass was made. Back when they played the game like men. Odd men.

Back to the question at hand I have no idea how the term "odd man rush" came to be. My years and years of research on this subject in addition to the anecdote above have yielded no leads.

Edit - this really belongs in the By the Numbers forum. Delineating between even and odds is for those new age advanced stats pencil neck weirdos

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I've always thought of it like,

"odd man out"

aka, that poor guy is f'd because it's him skating backwards and there's 2 guys and maybe another about to join from the opposing team.

but, why is he out? he's the only one who's actually in position really.

I love a thread like this, I will sit back and hopefully learn something I don't need to know because an odd man rush is pretty easy to grasp yet maybe the phrase doesn't make sense.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Basically the attacking team has additional attackers relative to the defending team creating an imbalance, eg 3-1, 2-1, 3-2.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
And don't say its cause there is an odd man out when it can be 5 on 1 with multiple men totaling an even men not covered
But 5-1, while 6 players, and 6 is an even number, it’s not even on both sides, one has 5 and one has 1…even would be 3v3…so 5v1 is odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad