Why is Boston such a good organization?

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Scott Wheeler has Boston’s prospect Pool ranked at 30th.
He gave them a C+ as their post draft rating.
Prospecting has Boston dead last in NHL prospect Pool rankings.
Lindholm contract is awful. Guy hasn’t been “good” since 21-22 season when he had Tkachuk and Gaudreau on his wings.
He’s not a 1C and stats show his best years are behind him.
Jim Montgomery has never won 2 rounds and has a losing record in the playoffs.
Marchand only getting older and will leave a gaping hole once he’s gone. A hole your prospects can’t fill evidently.
Can you possibly address those issues via trade or FA? Sure. But they’ll eventually be a team with pasta swayman and Charlie surrounded by very average players.
Bruins prospect pool is always near the bottom. I don't really put much stock in those ratings. Usually teams with constant high picks are going to be near the top of a top prospects list compared to teams making playoffs.

Then they have guys who make massive jumps & come out of nowhere or were quite low on said prospect rankings.

Lohrei, Poitras, Swayman, etc

Reactions: Voight and PaulD

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I absolutely agree that not falling off a cliff is impressive and I find the Bruins impressive.

I also find it interesting that in many other discussions there seems to be a binary definition of success in team sports -- championships.

My question was, before we discuss WHY they have been so successful, should we fist define SUCCESS in this context.

Would Pittsburgh apply? They (barely) missed the playoffs twice now, but the Bruins did a couple of years ago too. The Penguins have more cups.

Now, we could argue that the Pens tanked and drafted high, won and are now about to bottom out and that would be a fair position, but it needs to start with an agreed upon definition of success.

So, what is it? Making the playoffs regularly? Being a "contender" (however that is defined)? Not being terrible ever?
Yes the Pens have been more successful, and like you stated have already started their decline and it’s not going to get any better any time soon.

Who’s going to replace Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson? They’re about to be a bottom feeder.

Boston lost all of Thomas, Rask, Bergeron, and Chara yet they were still right at the top of the standings.

That’s kind of the premise of the thread, how they keep going while losing all their star players

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Elite prospects has them at 7th in the league for 24-25 without taking into consideration players like Lysell and Swayman. Yes, they are one of the youngest teams in the league. They fixed their top six center hole, and now they just need 1-2 capable top six wingers to make them a powerhouse again. There are no holes anywhere in the lineup besides 1-2 wing spots in the top six.
Their top end center talent and depth are still not very good.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Yes the Pens have been more successful, and like you stated have already started their decline and it’s not going to get any better any time soon.

Who’s going to replace Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson? They’re about to be a bottom feeder.

Boston lost all of Thomas, Rask, Bergeron, and Chara yet they were still right at the top of the standings.

That’s kind of the premise of the thread, how they keep going while losing all their star players
Penguins were much more successful (could be from going for it all the time?).

Boston had more first rounds picks so higher chance of having the depth needed to remain competitive (although not win anything). Boston had 6 first round picks between 2014-2016. Penguins made 8 first round picks since 2010.

Boston also struck gold with Pasta at 25. Let’s be real, if that 25th pick in 2014 is the average of what normal 25th picks are, the Bruins aren’t nearly as competitive. (Obviously can’t fault them for making a good pick but more so having that fall into their laps is extreme luck)

Not very hard to assess why Boston is more competitive. Penguins best was much higher than Bostons and their willingness to get to the top of the mountain was much greater than Boston.

Which is 100% the reason why their fall back down the mountain is going to be especially rough. No denying that.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Thanks, I don't disagree with the assessment IF that is the definition of successful. Is that the definition? "Keeping it going?"

We consider teams successful if they make the playoffs ten out of 12 seasons without winning a cup?

You are also guessing that the Pittsburgh decline is starting to gain speed. They could swap out some vets and re-tool. I don't think that's the plan, but I do think that until they start to crater the argument could be made that they have had the better past dozen or 15 years.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Penguins were much more successful (could be from going for it all the time?).

Boston had more first rounds picks so higher chance of having the depth needed to remain competitive (although not win anything). Boston had 6 first round picks between 2014-2016. Penguins made 8 first round picks since 2010.

Boston also struck gold with Pasta at 25. Let’s be real, if that 25th pick in 2014 is the average of what normal 25th picks are, the Bruins aren’t nearly as competitive. (Obviously can’t fault them for making a good pick but more so having that fall into their laps is extreme luck)

Not very hard to assess why Boston is more competitive. Penguins best was much higher than Bostons and their willingness to get to the top of the mountain was much greater than Boston.

Which is 100% the reason why their fall back down the mountain is going to be especially rough. No denying that.
First round picks since 2008, when both teams really became relevant as top teams again:

Boston: 14, with like 5 of those coming from trading good players away for picks due to cap constraints

Pens: 9, only one coming from trading a good player

It’s really not the discrepancy that you think it is. Boston retooled for two seasons trading away players they identified as not part of their core, and now are continuing going strong.

Pens are about to enter some dark dark ages

Thanks, I don't disagree with the assessment IF that is the definition of successful. Is that the definition? "Keeping it going?"

We consider teams successful if they make the playoffs ten out of 12 seasons without winning a cup?

You are also guessing that the Pittsburgh decline is starting to gain speed. They could swap out some vets and re-tool. I don't think that's the plan, but I do think that until they start to crater the argument could be made that they have had the better past dozen or 15 years.
Who are they going to “swap out” that’s going to contribute as much as Crosby right away at that cap hit?

There’s absolutely no denying they’re going to collapse very shortly, especially if all of Crosby/Malkin/Letang decide to retire a Pen

Reactions: Bergyesque

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Who are they going to “swap out” that’s going to contribute as much as Crosby right away at that cap hit?

There’s absolutely no denying they’re going to collapse very shortly, especially if all of Crosby/Malkin/Letang decide to retire a Pen
You're right, they can't swap things out to avoid a period of decline. They could possible reduce the length of that decline by trading the star vets. That would only guarantee a quick decline and not a quick rebuild.

They are in a tough spot. Having said this, their past fifteen years have been better than the Bruins (cups) and we are assuming the future won't be as bright...which requires Pittsburgh to decline and Boston to at least maintain.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Clock is ticking for bruins.
Nothing in the pipeline of any real substance (No, Letourneau isn’t a top prospect), ageing players. Sus centre depth. Take away Pasta and Ouff, they’re super mid.
Swayman being young an essentially a top 5 goalie will keep them afloat for years (2012-2021 habs fans can relate) but bruins are on borrowed time to being “a top team”.
I can see them as a consistent wild card team but since their run in 2019, they haven’t won two rounds since.
People have been thinking this for YEARS.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You're right, they can't swap things out to avoid a period of decline. They could possible reduce the length of that decline by trading the star vets. That would only guarantee a quick decline and not a quick rebuild.

They are in a tough spot. Having said this, their past fifteen years have been better than the Bruins (cups) and we are assuming the future won't be as bright...which requires Pittsburgh to decline and Boston to at least maintain.
Yes, but I think this is kind of the point. They were supposed to be bad when they traded off Lucic, Hamilton and Chara declined but never happened.

Then we’re supposed to be bad this season when Bergeron/Krejci left but never happened.

I think the Bruins likely still have another 4-5 years left as is with the core they have. After that is a mystery

Reactions: wintersej

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yes, but I think this is kind of the point. They were supposed to be bad when they traded off Lucic, Hamilton and Chara declined but never happened.

Then we’re supposed to be bad this season when Bergeron/Krejci left but never happened.

I think the Bruins likely still have another 4-5 years left as is with the core they have. After that is a mystery
You nailed it. I have predicted their demise a few times only to be wrong. I don't bet against them anymore.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
One title in 53 years.

Only thing bruins organization is “good” at is staying just relevant enough year after to year to make Jacobs his money.

Reactions: BTO and Oneiro

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Their on ice leadership over the past decade has been good at holding themselves and others on the team accountable to each other. This promotes a winning culture.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
need to find the interview where ullmark said it but when he came to boston he said the level the team practices at is different

there are years where people (myself included) have thought oh boston has lost too much skill and will take a step back/miss the playoffs.

The organization seems to be good at having the next man up mentality and identifying players that fit that mentality.

They are going to have a random prospect break out or somehow be able to allow geekie to break out. As a fan of a team in their division its annoying but you have to respect it
I've seen a few interviews Ullmark has done since the trade. One was on Coming in Hot podcast with Brent Wallace and Jason York. Another with What Chaos! podcast. He also did radio interviews on TSN (Morning Show and The Drive). I'm a Sens fan so have watched/listened to all of his interviews. He also spoke about your goalie coach, Bob, and how much he helped him. As for the Boston culture, he said it was a different world compared to Buffalo, that even in practices, everyone played hard. So looking forward to seeing him in action this season especially now that Sens have a new coaching staff and a legit RD.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

and Krejci

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
good culture from strong leadership and a semi-recent history of winning. how lucky were the bruins to have both chara and bergeron.

i think they will falter this season tho. their goaltending and defense are very good but i dont think they have enough depth to their offense.
they can win low scoring games.
They'll be just fine again. Top 3 in Atlantic.

I've seen a few interviews Ullmark has done since the trade. One was on Coming in Hot podcast with Brent Wallace and Jason York. Another with What Chaos! podcast. He also did radio interviews on TSN (Morning Show and The Drive). I'm a Sens fan so have watched/listened to all of his interviews. He also spoke about your goalie coach, Bob, and how much he helped him. As for the Boston culture, he said it was a different world compared to Buffalo, that even in practices, everyone played hard. So looking forward to seeing him in action this season especially now that Sens a have a new coaching staff and a legit RD.
Sens get a Wild card spot this season.

Reactions: LiseL

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I've seen a few interviews Ullmark has done since the trade. One was on Coming in Hot podcast with Brent Wallace and Jason York. Another with What Chaos! podcast. He also did radio interviews on TSN (Morning Show and The Drive). I'm a Sens fan so have watched/listened to all of his interviews. He also spoke about your goalie coach, Bob, and how much he helped him. As for the Boston culture, he said it was a different world compared to Buffalo, that even in practices, everyone played hard. So looking forward to seeing him in action this season especially now that Sens a have a new coaching staff and a legit RD.
Sens - Wild Card spot in 25.

Reactions: LiseL

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m a lifelong Bruins fan with a huge soft spot for the Sens. I wish Ullmark absolutely nothing but success in Ottawa, and I don’t think you will be disappointed with him.

Good luck this season.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don’t really consider an irreplaceable piece like Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Thomas etc. just a very good player that you could theoretically replace in UFA
I disagree. Lead the play offs in scoring twice.
Look at the short list of players who have managed that.

Last game of career.
Game 7
4-3 OT loss to Panthers.
Krejci 1G 2A

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I disagree. Lead the play offs in scoring twice.
Look at the short list of players who have managed that.

Last game of career.
Game 7
4-3 OT loss to Panthers.
Krejci 1G 2A
Okay. He was still a 70pt player in his best years. Those are available every single season.

Picking out one game is very strange.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
David Krejci
I don’t really consider an irreplaceable piece like Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Thomas etc. just a very good player that you could theoretically replace in UFA

Krejci is tied 51st with Bergeron in all time playoff points. Tied with Kane at 42nd for most assists. Higher PPG than guys like Datsyuk, Forsberg, Stamkos, Thornton, the Sedins, etc. Led playoffs in points twice. The 7th player to lead the playoffs in points more than once in the last 30 years along with Sakic, Forsberg, Kopitar, Malkin, McDavid, and Kucherov. Only 6 players had more playoff points from 2007 to 2023. Easily the most underrated player on these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00