Why doesn't the NHL allow teams to dress up to 23 players?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I wonder where the nhlpa would sit here, does not change thing at first, but maybe it change salary distribution (and they must love their ice-time as well) and it is the player that vote, if those with the most votes and influence, the 20 have more votes than the 3.

There is number for who the bench lenght would be an issue, international hockey ice is bigger, some coach sit the replacement goaltender elsewhere to gain room and could as simple has that.

In intl hockey, one obvious strategy is to have an extra defenceman, a 5 minutes or injury, it is nice to be able to roll 3 pair or at least have the option and I suspect a common decision. 1 or 2 extra (a 7d, 1 goon), easy to see, a third become a lot.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You can't cut 4 players out of the lineup. I hate to use the old" have you played at all"? A couple injuries a fight or a misconduct and now you have guys sucking wind and susceptible to injuries. You know.... the guys you want to watch.

As dumb as expanding the skaters to 23/24 is.... cutting it down to 16 so a guy can watch McJesus and Pigman and McKinnon play 32 min a night is a horrific idea.
At least allow a team to dress 7D and 12F.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Making the benches longer would require the removal of several premium seats, which cuts into revenue.

Not if they chose the additional rostered players from those people purchasing the premium seats.

"Sure, these were $600 apiece but there's a 20% chance that I'll be the fifth-line center for Vegas tonight."

• Haha
Reactions: mattihp

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Not if they chose the additional rostered players from those people purchasing the premium seats.

"Sure, these were $600 apiece but there's a 20% chance that I'll be the fifth-line center for Vegas tonight."
5 x $600 games = $3000 for the chance to play one game
$750,000 league minimum/82 = $9146 payout for one game

no taxes in Vegas, no agent fees, 6% escrow = $6000 take home pay to play four shifts

easy money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad