Why doesn't Russia develop more elite defenseman?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It is mostly cyclical. The Russian percentage of NHL players has ranged from 3.6 % - 6.6 % since the 04/05 Lockout and then shortly thereafter the RSL was replaced by the KHL.

The type of the best player produced is going to come and go with relatively low numbers like that. At one point there were no goaltenders, then no defensemen, now no centers [although this one has a bit of an external factor, many Russian kids grow up playing Center/Wing interchangeably, and in Canada they put all the best kids as Centers, so at NHL level it makes more sense for the Russian Forwards that make it there to play Wing because there is a plethora of Canadians that played exclusively Center, compared to the Russian kid who played both].

Here are 18 Russian Defensemen that were drafted at some point in the first four rounds the last five drafts, which comes out to about 3-4 per year. It's a bit of a numbers game in terms of which and how many can turn into high level NHL D.

2024:
Anton Silayev - R1,P10
Matevi Shuravain - R3,P97
Alexander Siryatsky - R4,P124

2023:
Dmitry Simashev - R1,P6
Mikhail Gulyaev - R1,P31
Bogdan Konyushkov - R4,P110

2022:
Pavel Mintyukov - R1,P10
Artem Duda - R2,36
Daniil Orlov - R4,P110
Arseni Koromyslov - R4,P120

2021:
Daniil Chayka - R2P38
Artyom Grushnikov - R2P48
Kirill Kirsanov - R3P84
Dmitry Kostenko - R3P87
Vladislav Lukashevich - R4P120

2020:
Shakir Mukhamadullin - R1P20
Yan Kuznetsov - R2P50
Alexander Nikishin - R3P69

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
What ?

Russia has been producing some very good defensive prospects as of late, we soon might be looking at

Nikishin - Mintyukov
Simashev - Silayev
Gulyaev - Mukhamadullin

That’s without all of the current NHLers like Sergachev, Provorov, Zub, Gavrikov, Romanov, Miromanov etc

I think that’s easily on par with Sweden, Finland
C'mon you guys aren't in the same stratosphere as Sweden. And you're definitely behind Finland too.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What ?

Russia has been producing some very good defensive prospects as of late, we soon might be looking at

Nikishin - Mintyukov
Simashev - Silayev
Gulyaev - Mukhamadullin

That’s without all of the current NHLers like Sergachev, Provorov, Zub, Gavrikov, Romanov, Miromanov etc

Finland for sure, but Sweden has a canyon sized gap on them for established star D.

Forsling, Hedman, Dahlin, Ekholm, Brodin.

Perhaps with a bunch of high end prospects they finally have some breakout as franchise type players. Until that happens they can't be compared on par to Sweden.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Finland for sure, but Sweden has a canyon sized gap on them for established star D.

Forsling, Hedman, Dahlin, Ekholm, Brodin.

Perhaps with a bunch of high end prospects they finally have some breakout as franchise type players. Until that happens they can't be compared on par to Sweden.
Now compare the Swedish D from the last 4 drafts. Nikishin is the best player not in the NHL, Mintyukov looks like a top pair guy.

They project to have a better blueline than Sweden in the next 5 to 10 years, just a matter of when at this point. Already superior to Finland’s.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
All of those players are 22 and younger. Some of them will definitely make U22 team Canada / US / Sweden
That's because it's easier to make a U22 team. Really I was including current Russian NHLers.

What current Russian defencemen make Canada, USA or Sweden - Maybe Sergachev?

Russia doesn't have a single defenceman in any top 20 list I've seen.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
before my time, but Makarov was really good no? Kaprizov has been on quite a run himself.

Makarov was probably the best Russian forward ever. Better than Ovechkin and Kharlamov. Can you imagine Datsyuk with exceptional speed and acceleration?

Larionov was more of a great complementary player to Makarov and Krutov. A star for sure but not exceptional for Russian hockey style of those days.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
What ?

Nikishin - Mintyukov
Simashev - Silayev
Gulyaev - Mukhamadullin

The thread title clearly says "elite" and not "very good"

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
20 years ago people were asking why the Russians were not developing good goalkeepers, nowadays they are spamming the better and better goalkeepers. So it's only a matter of time before they do it to defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad