WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Nathan Mckinnon got a knee-on-knee collision from Ben Lovejoy. Most coaches would be furious if one of their top prospects got injured, even if they wouldn't go as far as Roy in their conduct.

The fans would certainly be, just look at how Habs fans reacted after Pacioretty got slammed into the stanchion.

Yo are being a crybaby.

Boby Orr was pretty much left on his own. And he had to deal with Howe.

McKinnon is not a baby. Stop treating him as such.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Paul Maurice: "You shouldn't say anything. It's the players on your own bench that it bothers. They hate it when the guy behind them is barking at opposing players on the ice."

Mackenzie: Coaches don't sound out against each other so it's unusual to hear them attack a coach in the press. Most coaches have said: "you should keep your mouth shut."

This guy is a clown. I'm glad he's not here. Day one and he's already a circus show. Yeah, we really needed this in Montreal. Hilarious that he does this and some people actually try to use this as evidence that we should've hired them. I guess these people live in Bizarro World.
LG well done.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So Scotty Bowman never screamed at Tiger Williams calling names I cant repeat.Pat Burns screaming at opposing players.Now it was not rampant but it did happen at times.Patrick just needs to tone down his act a bit.At the same time tv ratings were up during game and incident was talked about in usa sports shows

Scotty Bowman never, ever screamed at players from the bench. Or Refs.

FFS. TV ratings. As justification for a coach in the NHL.

You actually wrote that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We didn't offer a job to him 'cause it wasn't Bergevin's choice. It is possible that Roy wanted more than coaching to which Bergevin wanted no part of. And Bergevin didn't want a pure rookie to coach that team. As far as posters who keeps coming with his "tantrum".....it wasn't Bergevin's reason not to pick him as he was fairly quiet in that department in his 8-9 years of coaching. He had some events with Richard Martel but it's not like he had done that every game as well as much as some posters here would like it to believe.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The guy is a gong show and his antics are worthy of junior hockey so I am glad he is not coaching the Habs.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The guy is a gong show and his antics are worthy of junior hockey so I am glad he is not coaching the Habs.

Therrien was much worst than Roy in junior.

Therrien is basically a much more experienced Roy. No reason to go with the rookie. And yes as others have said Roy wanted to be more than HC.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
"Stuff de junior"...that cracks me up. Everytime there's a legal hit and somebody wants to fight 'cause they are not happy....that's "stuff de junior". When Julien whines and coaches whines about referees, that's "stuff de junior". Everybody, everywhere do their own version of "stuff de junior"...but for some odd reasons, only Roy is portrait as being a junior....At least, HE was humble enough to learn this job in the Junior. Not like others like Gretzky who thought they'd be great enough without it.

Roy wasn't doing his stuff de junior every single game. For 1 Roy who whines to the refs, there's another Roy who takes Cédric Desjardins by the shoulders during a timeout, speaks to him, and suddenly Desjardins was stopping everything. Most players that played for him, who doesn't play for him now have the utmost respect for him. And for whoever will say that they have no choice of saying that...I'll answer...why not? Can you just refuse to answer? Do refusing to answer or even saying that Roy didn't help you will shut down any chance you have in a NHL career? Is Roy already that powerful? Come on...

If he does that often, I'll come back here and say that he is going too far and has to refrain himself big time. But until proven he'd be like that everytime, I'm not going to portrait him as anything else than he is.....a players who won, who loves the competition, who is emotional and who was humble enough to learn his job at the Junior level.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Stuff de junior"...that cracks me up. Everytime there's a legal hit and somebody wants to fight 'cause they are not happy....that's "stuff de junior". When Julien whines and coaches whines about referees, that's "stuff de junior". Everybody, everywhere do their own version of "stuff de junior"...but for some odd reasons, only Roy is portrait as being a junior....At least, HE was humble enough to learn this job in the Junior. Not like others like Gretzky who thought they'd be great enough without it.
Other coaches don't weigh in like they did with Roy. Yapping at the players, freaking out... maybe it was by design. But I agree with the coaches who've weighed in that it was bush league.
Roy wasn't doing his stuff de junior every single game. For 1 Roy who whines to the refs, there's another Roy who takes Cédric Desjardins by the shoulders during a timeout, speaks to him, and suddenly Desjardins was stopping everything. Most players that played for him, who doesn't play for him now have the utmost respect for him. And for whoever will say that they have no choice of saying that...I'll answer...why not? Can you just refuse to answer? Do refusing to answer or even saying that Roy didn't help you will shut down any
chance you have in a NHL career? Is Roy already that powerful? Come on...
New coach, bunch of young players... hell no they aren't going to speak out on this.
If he does that often, I'll come back here and say that he is going too far and has to refrain himself big time. But until proven he'd be like that everytime, I'm not going to portrait him as anything else than he is.....a players who won, who loves the competition, who is emotional and who was humble enough to learn his job at the Junior level.
There was nothing humble about that display the other night.

Maybe he'll be a great coach, I don't know. He did take the time to pay his dues in the minors. But he also sent his son down the ice to go assault a guy who didn't want to fight. In my books this guy's an unpredictable freakshow. And who's to say this guy doesn't just quit on us in the middle of a game again? Seriously, think about that for a second... we hire him and he gets pissed off for some reason and quits in a huff.

I still think this guy's poison for us. Let him go to Colorado where they need a media circus to drum up the fans. We've got enough of a circus here already. We don't need a rodeo clown to make it any worse.

One thing is for certain though, if the Avs have a great season the media will keep coming back to this incident and play it up like this was THE turning point. And on the flipside if the Avs have a horrible season the media will say the opposite and paint Roy's tirade as setting them up for failure. The reality is that if this is the only time it happens it's probably not a huge deal anyway. But the truth never stopped the media from coming up with a good story. They need something to write about...

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
His players are now 100% entrenched in his corener and willing to follow his lead/direction as a coach. you don't think so give this a read.

http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories/avs-matt-duchene-says-roys-antics-exciting-for-everybody

Colorado Avalanche centre Matt Duchene saw flashes of his childhood Wednesday when a fired-up Patrick Roy stole the spotlight in his NHL coaching debut.

Duchene, 22, chatted with Hockey Night in Canada Radio on SiriusXM on Thursday about Roy's heated confrontation with his Ducks counterpart Bruce Boudreau after a 6-1 rout over Anaheim.

It was classic Roy, who was known for his feistiness as a goaltender during his 18-year NHL career.

"We got to see some vintage Patrick Roy which was pretty exciting for everybody, including myself," Duchene told hosts Rob Pizzo and Cassie Campbell-Pascal.

"I felt like a six, seven-year-old again sitting around my TV screen in late spring. It was pretty great."

Listen to Duchene's full audio interview above

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Other coaches don't weigh in like they did with Roy. Yapping at the players, freaking out... maybe it was by design. But I agree with the coaches who've weighed in that it was bush league.

Always easier to crap on the young guy that starts than on the vets. There were other incidents in the NHL when coaches wanted to fight other coaches or were mad at the refs or at other players....First, were other coaches asked to comment on that? And if they were or were not, what were their opinion? 'Cause it's Roy, it's always bigger. Why the heck would you ask other coaches opinions in that particular case compared to other cases?

New coach, bunch of young players... hell no they aren't going to speak out on this.

I'm obviously not talking about his present players...but players that he coached in Quebec.

And who's to say this guy doesn't just quit on us in the middle of a game again? Seriously, think about that for a second... we hire him and he gets pissed off for some reason and quits in a huff.

Tell me that's not what you really think 'cause that's agenda like. So the guy waits so many years and finally takes his job that sends him in the NHL so he'd pull a stunt that would signify the end of his NHL career job? You really think other GM's would hire him after that? Do people think he is really that dumb?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
His players are now 100% entrenched in his corener and willing to follow his lead/direction as a coach. you don't think so give this a read.

http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories/avs-matt-duchene-says-roys-antics-exciting-for-everybody

I'm all for Roy. Till he doesn't do it every night, I feel that people are exagering way too much here. But come on....do you really think his own players would blame him publicly? I will believe that they did like what they saw. But they won't like it if it's always like that. Drama is fun but not if it's always drama...

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
To me Roy just wanted to send a message in his first game to show his team that they were all-in from the start until the end. That is the same team that gave up at the end of last season and got called out by JS Giguère, their own teammate.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
To me Roy just wanted to send a message in his first game to show his team that they were all-in from the start until the end. That is the same team that gave up at the end of last season and got called out by JS Giguère, their own teammate.

On top of everything else....that's also what I think. Send a message from the start. It has to be, 'cause if it's like that often, he's not going to stay much longer. If he's that stupid to continue like that....he'll be out of there. Just don't believe he is that dumb.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
I stand by my question-- Why would the Habs offer him a job??

And again I admit I am biased but i think/thought that Capt Kirk would of been a great fit. AND knowing he is not French Canadian I think the fanbase absolutely loved/loves him and he could of been that 'exception' to the unwriiten rule.

I can never forget how he cried when he found out the Habs traded him and how at first he refused to report to the isles. The guy connected to the players under JM and he was that leader and voice the team needed. Every time the camera was on him he was in a players ear talking.. thats a leader and coach

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I stand by my question-- Why would the Habs offer him a job??

And again I admit I am biased but i think/thought that Capt Kirk would of been a great fit. AND knowing he is not French Canadian I think the fanbase absolutely loved/loves him and he could of been that 'exception' to the unwriiten rule.

I can never forget how he cried when he found out the Habs traded him and how at first he refused to report to the isles. The guy connected to the players under JM and he was that leader and voice the team needed. Every time the camera was on him he was in a players ear talking.. thats a leader and coach

We have no idea how it went between Martin and Muller but the "reports" from Martin McGuire and others more serious journalists/commentators were that it wasn't that pretty. Somehow, Muller might have been a candidate, but you also think that they talked to Martin to see what could have been the reasons between their "relation".

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Where Roy crossed the line was that he was chirping an opposing player, that player being Corey Perry.

As an NHL coach, that's a big no no. Chirp the opposing coach, that's fine. Same with the ref. But don't talk to the opposing team's players. That's what he did that was most considered "bush league."

Gretzky was guilty of this as well on several occasions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Always easier to crap on the young guy that starts than on the vets. There were other incidents in the NHL when coaches wanted to fight other coaches or were mad at the refs or at other players....First, were other coaches asked to comment on that? And if they were or were not, what were their opinion? 'Cause it's Roy, it's always bigger. Why the heck would you ask other coaches opinions in that particular case compared to other cases?
This isn't the first coaching meltdown nor will it be the last.

But coaches don't normally comment on other coaches. Coaching is a fraternity and I've never heard of coaches criticizing another coach the way it's happening here. You say it's because he's Patrick Roy... well okay. He's on the winning side of a 5-1 game and starts yapping at the players on the ice. And then he goes ******* and almost brings the partition down on Boudreau.

I don't think people are commenting because it's Patrick Roy. This was an over the top hissy fit. Like I said, maybe it was a calculated move and planned. But I think this was bush league. It's one thing to freak out, it's a whole other thing to boil over the way Roy did.

And this is game one.
I'm obviously not talking about his present players...but players that he coached in Quebec.
Okay. I don't see much of a difference though. I mean what benefit do you get by trashing your own coach even if he's a former coach? Better to just say... 'yeah he was great.'

That's what I'd do if I wanted a career in the NHL.

Tell me that's not what you really think 'cause that's agenda like. So the guy waits so many years and finally takes his job that sends him in the NHL so he'd pull a stunt that would signify the end of his NHL career job? You really think other GM's would hire him after that? Do people think he is really that dumb?
I think he lets his emotions get the best of him. I think that he's got a temper he can't control.

We're talking about a guy who sent his own son to fight and would belittle younger players in the minors. That's not only idiotic but it's classless.

I don't think he's a stupid man. But I think he's wildly unpredictable and I don't like that in a coach. People talk about 'passion'... well Mario Tremblay was passionate, look what happened there. And I'm sure we can find a passionate coach without the wildcard factor.

We'll see though. You might be right, maybe he'll be awesome. I don't know. But I'm not afraid to give you my opinion now at the beginning. If I turn out to be wrong that's fine I'll admit it.

It won't be the first time nor will it be the last. ;)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Where Roy crossed the line was that he was chirping an opposing player, that player being Corey Perry.

As an NHL coach, that's a big no no. Chirp the opposing coach, that's fine. Same with the ref. But don't talk to the opposing team's players. That's what he did that was most considered "bush league."

Gretzky was guilty of this as well on several occasions.
He was chirping at players on the ice even before chirping Perry.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We have no idea how it went between Martin and Muller but the "reports" from Martin McGuire and others more serious journalists/commentators were that it wasn't that pretty. Somehow, Muller might have been a candidate, but you also think that they talked to Martin to see what could have been the reasons between their "relation".
Pretty sure Muller was not an option after seeing the journalists go ******* when we took an anglo coach.
On top of everything else....that's also what I think. Send a message from the start. It has to be, 'cause if it's like that often, he's not going to stay much longer. If he's that stupid to continue like that....he'll be out of there. Just don't believe he is that dumb.
Very possible.

I think this was a dumb move no matter what but maybe it was calculated. And if it happens again over the next few months the players might start to wonder if they're playing for an idiot. So what happens if an incident occurs next game where it actually warrants a freak-out? He's kind of tied his own hands here by freaking out over something that really didn't need it. Freaking out like that for no reason just isn't a smart move.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Pretty sure Muller was not an option after seeing the journalists go ******* when we took an anglo coach.

Surely....but like the poster said, I wonder if it could not have been an option if there were really no interesting candidate. Would not have pleased the journalists...but maybe the people would have told them to go **** themselves....Not for the majority of anglo coaches but Muller? Maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad