Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
There’s nobody in Quebec that has step up and paid the 600 million expansion fee. It’s that simple

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Depends on how you define entitlement. I don't think it's entitlement to want to keep your team or to want another shot after your last team was cut short like Atlanta fans.

I think it is entitlement to want to see teams removed from their fans because it would benefit you, or for the schadenfreude of seeing American fans lose their team as some sort of "revenge" for Southern expansion.

Sarcasm man. I was a Canes STM till last year.
Bold -: at the end off the day.... it always benefit a fanbase when you move a team from one place to another.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
BS. Quebec is a poor man's Ottawa. Not enough money for any major sports team.
Ottawa is stuck between Toronto Leafs and Montreal Habs. Not that I disagree with Quèbec being smaller than Ottawa, but market wise and on a geographical POV, not sur your statement is correct. Discussion could be made.

But maybe I suspect the possibility that you simply don't know where Quebec City is located, just saying.

There’s nobody in Quebec that has step up and paid the 600 million expansion fee. It’s that simple
Not sur on this one. IMO' NHL did inform Quebec that they simply are not interested!

I vote yes, too. A Win-Win.
It definitely like the idea of having a Pan Canadien Hockey league.

Reactions: ORRFForever

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
With how vocal PKP has a tendency to be, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have let it drop a few hundred thousand times if the NHL outright rejected Quebec City regardless of expansion money offered had Bettman and Co. done so.

The simpler explanation to me is that he and Quebecor went along with the expansion process with Vegas fully wanting to get a team, and then just got dumbstruck by the asking price. And it's more than doubled since then.

I think they just got priced out.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
With how vocal PKP has a tendency to be, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have let it drop a few hundred thousand times if the NHL outright rejected Quebec City regardless of expansion money offered had Bettman and Co. done so.

The simpler explanation to me is that he and Quebecor went along with the expansion process with Vegas fully wanting to get a team, and then just got dumbstruck by the asking price. And it's more than doubled since then.

I think they just got priced out.
Everyone can beleive the the earth is flat or speculate on the fact that people are living on the moon.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Thats where the problem lies. Ya'll don't ask for an 8th team, you bleat and moan about teams in warm weather cities, most of which are doing fine in terms of finances and interest, and spit on the fans there like it should be the easiest decision to axe us from participating. I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for whiny Canadian hockey fans. Ya'll don't need 8 teams. Players don't like small Canadian markets. There is no money in QC to purchase a team.
intense post....

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Everyone can beleive the the earth is flat or speculate on the fact that people are living on the moon.

The simpler explanation is usually the correct one. Was it a conspiracy to prevent QC from getting a team ever again, and the aggrieved party is going along with it for reasons unspecified, or was the formerly vocal expansion candidate that's been quiet since the expansion fees were announced simply priced out?

If you think both are possible, sure. But the latter seems far more realistic.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Welcome in the real life… lol

To who… the Predators? Doubtful.
No current teams. But book it, one day it will happen.
Listen, if a MBL club can move from one place to another à la Oakland IS moving. .... I definitely believe one day it will again happen in the NHL

You really beleive that it will never happen again in the NHL?

Last edited:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
The simpler explanation is usually the correct one. Was it a conspiracy to prevent QC from getting a team ever again, and the aggrieved party is going along with it for reasons unspecified, or was the formerly vocal expansion candidate that's been quiet since the expansion fees were announced simply priced out?

If you think both are possible, sure. But the latter seems far more realistic.
I firmly beleive NHL has a développement plan, and it IS NOT in Canada.

I currently think on a math POV and on big numbers that NHL is currently correct IF they can repeat on a long term what they did in California and Florida, especially Tampa. It is business and on strictly that bases, I do understand .

On a culturel POV, I do think it stinks. Hockey's culturel importance is in Canada. Canada 7 teams currently bring almost the same TV revenues that the 24 US teams. I do think Canadian folks (fans) by their engagement and what they pay are one of the reason NHL CAN afford to have kept a team in Arizona and accept a 5000 seats barn TILL it work. So yes, I do understand Canadian fans.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
What? They moved a team because a 5000 seat barn didn't work.
No they moved the team because it didn't work. NHL did accept a pro team to play in a 5000 seats barn.

Call me when you see this in a Canada Arena...

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
If Quebec City was a guaranteed sellout and had the ability to rake in enough money over time to cover the billion dollar expansion fee in addition to the costs of a stadium and initial logistical costs then maybe someone would invest the money.

Regardless of Bettman’s Arizona fetish, I seriously doubt anyone is willing to take on that financial investment in QC when there are richer billionaires in larger cities with stadiums either existing or shovel ready.

Both things can be true, Quebec City can be a better hockey town with a better fanbase than any American city yet Houston, Atlanta, etc are better investments money-wise.

Reactions: Bradely

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
If Quebec City was a guaranteed sellout and had the ability to rake in enough money over time to cover the billion dollar expansion fee in addition to the costs of a stadium and initial logistical costs then maybe someone would invest the money.

Regardless of Bettman’s Arizona fetish, I seriously doubt anyone is willing to take on that financial investment in QC when there are richer billionaires in larger cities with stadiums either existing or shovel ready.

Both things can be true, Quebec City can be a better hockey town with a better fanbase than any American city yet Houston, Atlanta, etc are better investments money-wise.
Yep I do think it is what NHL is thinking. But at the same time, you will have to admit, that maybe current Canadian teams are financing alot of what is happening down south.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No they moved the team because it didn't work. NHL did accept a pro team to play in a 5000 seats barn.

Call me when you see this in a Canada Arena...

They let Ottawa play in a substandard, albeit larger than Mullett, barn for their first couple seasons. The NHL just wasn't willing to slam the door shut on a bad situation until it was clear it was a long-term rather than temp thing, and they then did shut the door.

And wait, what? You're complaining about concessions having reasonably priced items? How on earth is that bad?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Do you realise theres 3 canadian markets in the bottom 15 in terms of league revenue :laugh::laugh::laugh:

one of them is neck and neck with what used to be Arizona lmao.

But yeah let's put a team in a small city like Quebec because they like hockey even if it makes the league bleed money.

Kids barely even play the sport in our country its time to get off the Canadian high horse my friend
^^ What a stupid comment. ^^

Keep Canadian money in Canada and all 7 Canadian teams will be near the top of the league in terms of revenue.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
For now maybe.... but on a growth business perspective, not sure your point will be valid in 10 or 20 years from now. Like it or not, NHL is now an American thing and IMO, NHL and Bettman are targeting the biggest TV Contract on national USA network.

That is why you currently have some USA fans being a bit... cocky. USA has the size, the numbers and the money.

As I said, Canadian team have been paying and still are for the development of the sunbelt and USA NHL markets....and by extension, Canadian fans are also paying for this.

Never in any world would the NHL have accepted a Canadian team playing in a 5000 barn and supporting a bad hockey franchise over more than a decade.... like they did with the Coyotes and with other US franchise. That says it ALL for me.
We've been hearing that for 50+ years. Please don't pretend like you are doing us a favour. Again, keep ALL Canadian revenue in Canada and we'll live with the long term consequences.

P.S. We'll see what happens to the U.S. TV contracts, when U.S. teams start folding because there is no CDN $$$ to keep them afloat.

Yup, there seems to be some paranoia with some US fans in that they see things that aren't there.

When we say, "We would love another team in Canada." They seem to hear, "We demand less teams in the USA!"

Funny thing, the NHL just posted about our National Day of Reconciliation for first nation's kids that suffered in residential school on their Instagram page. And a bunch or US fans in the comments are randomly talking shit about Canada

But yup, it's the Canadian fans who are the most toxic. Logic.
The ONLY way it changes is if TSN / Rogers start demanding more Canadian teams. Shame on them for doing nothing.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Thats where the problem lies. Ya'll don't ask for an 8th team
So... We need to "ask" when it's our money keeping a bunch of U.S. franchises alive? And you think THAT will work? :rolleyes:

Just more condescension.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You think the frenglish media is bad in Montreal . .. imagine it in Quebec. Players don't wanna deal with that.

Nor do they want to get dirty looks when they try to buy a coffee in English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad