Why are NHL trades so complicated/disagreeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
It obviously takes a lot of effort to trade players in the NHL. There's also some criticism involved with several proposals on here as well. Here's my question:

Why can't teams just take a chance on something? You never know what can happen. Look what happened in the Seguin trade: The Bruins and Stars worked something out between 7 players. If I would've posted about the Seguin trade on here, who would've actually agreed with me?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
portrait-mixed-race-man-looking-confused-something-scratches-his-head-confusion-43412654.jpg

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Teams don’t just trade players for the sake of making a trade. Teams invest a lot of time and resources into drafting players and developing them.

Players are humans too. They have a wife or a girlfriend or kids. Trading them takes them away from their family and makes them relocate. Plus it looks really bad on a team if they are constantly trading players away. When it comes to signing UFAs players may shy away from that team. Also if a player has a list of teams to not get traded to then a team like that would likely be on their no trade list.

Teams have reputations to hold up.

Reactions: Viqsi

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
The NHL is too complicated to trade, here is a 7-item trade as something I think makes it easier? Well, we know you're not a bored GM, at least.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
idk but somehow it got a lot harder post-lockout. guess the salary cap makes things complicated. i was looking at top scorers from the 90s and like half of the top 20 from any given year weren't playing for the team they were drafted by. now it's like 4 or 5 out of 20.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In the early 90s, it seemed like superstars were traded like hockey cards every year.

There was a sudden influx of Eastern European talent, salaries were blowing up exponentially, there were a ton of small market sellers and it seemed like an endless supply of young, available talent was coming up every year. But there was also a real developmental drought between 1994 and 2002 where it seemed like we didn't quite have the same magnitude or quantity of elite players coming into the game anymore, compounded by the league expanding from 21 to 30 teams in a decade. I think that scarcity turned teams off of making as many big name trades as they used to, let alone cap management.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
It obviously takes a lot of effort to trade players in the NHL. There's also some criticism involved with several proposals on here as well. Here's my question:

Why can't teams just take a chance on something? You never know what can happen. Look what happened in the Seguin trade: The Bruins and Stars worked something out between 7 players. If I would've posted about the Seguin trade on here, who would've actually agreed with me?
Trade Seguin just to take a chance on someone else or trade him because the team didn't like his partying?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's hard to get rid of lemons. This isn't the NFL where you can cancel a contract no problem if you don't like the guy anymore.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Look what happened in the Seguin trade: The Bruins and Stars worked something out between 7 players. If I would've posted about the Seguin trade on here, who would've actually agreed with me?

You do realize if anybody posted the Bruins-Stars trade before it happened on the Trade board most would say how the Bruins are getting screwed and in hindsight they would be right

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The disagreeableness in trade proposals here is likely due to the endowment effect. People value what they have more than they'd pay to acquire it. It can be pretty bonkers. One poster on the habs board said he wouldn't accept Kopitar + Bishop for Carey Price during last off-season.

....yeah.

Feb 24, 2017
You do realize if anybody posted the Bruins-Stars trade before it happened on the Trade board most would say how the Bruins are getting screwed and in hindsight they would be right
And every so often the sun shines between a dog’s legs just under his or her tail.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
The disagreeableness in trade proposals here is likely due to the endowment effect. People value what they have more than they'd pay to acquire it. It can be pretty bonkers. One poster on the habs board said he wouldn't accept Kopitar + Bishop for Carey Price during last off-season.

....yeah.
It's true, I see some questionable proposals on here, especially with Dahlin.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
After death it become many trading include this summer 2 to 4 trades in average.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I have to make fun of my own team sometimes, and the thought actually came into my head as soon as I read it :laugh:
I understand lol.

No worries. I’m pretty sure Mr. Burns who owns my team has considered using death as a way of getting out of contracts. The unnatural kind

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
I understand lol.

No worries. I’m pretty sure Mr. Burns who owns my team has considered using death as a way of getting out of contracts. The unnatural kind

You did not understand english even you're begin from Canada or the US or something else ??

Jan 21, 2018
hfboards is wrong so many more times than it's right.

Had to listen to oilers fans claim hall for larsson was an easy win for Chiarelli, that if you factored in adding Lucic it becomes an even more landslide win for them. These same people were dead certain they were right and would not take no for an answer, calling everyone haters if you disagreed.

I'm not sure if someone from hfboards could do a better job at being a GM than Chiarelli/Bergevin to be honest. Sure there would be some trades we wouldn't screw up but I'm sure we would burn our team to the ground.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For the actual GM's, it's about the cap. It's not just talent for talent. Big money markets can't just take whoever they want. Small money markets have to pay guys at least a certain amount, so they can't just clean house. Everyone needs everything to fit together, which is why trades are done around the draft/free agency or the deadline, and basically nothing in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan