Who's the odd goalie out for Philly?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
IMO, it's a battle between the veterans (Elliott & Neuvirth) & the younger players (Stolarz & Lyon) for the starting & backup position before Carter Hart is ready for the NHL.

Now, considering the current status of their goaltending situation, who should stay and who should go? Who has more trade value ATM?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
IMO, it's a battle between the veterans (Elliott & Neuvirth) & the younger players (Stolarz & Lyon) for the starting & backup position before Carter Hart is ready for the NHL.

Now, considering the current status of their goaltending situation, who should stay and who should go? Who has more trade value ATM?
You know that game Yahtzee?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
1) acquire dartboard
2) throw dart
3) get rid of goalie where dart lands.

You just hit Neuvirth with a dart! He's out for 4 months.

Seriously, though, I am not nauseated by the prospect of Stolarz / Elliott as long as the latter returns to his level of play pre-injury and Stolarz keeps up the good work. Waive Neuvirth at the point when Elliott comes back and has played a couple of games to show he is healthy. Run Hart / Lyon on the Phantoms.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Nothing matters.
giphy (1).gif
UNTIL WE GET RID OF BEETBOY....TO ME.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Whoever Fletcher brings in won’t make a difference. Most goaltenders except the very elite are products of the system they’re in. No goalie would success behind the flurry of chances given up behind this defense

Reactions: Rebels57

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Umm, they all suck so it doesn't really matter who stays and who goes.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think it’s gotta be Stolarz and Elliott when healthy

As it should be. They're the only two who've shown themselves of mediocre performance.

I'd clean out in the summer. Keep Stolie as the backup if Hart isn't done yet and throw some real money at a short-term solution. Hart in as 1/2 in 20/21.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It will be stolie and Elliot. Even if Elliot becomes the next nuevy with injuries or sucking he will be with the team. They do owe him to an extent considering Hakstol broke him and he had an extra surgery to play in the playoffs. I am very happy for stolie though. Think he has earned starter for now and starter for next year with Hart as the back up to start and then maybe a split.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Neuvy.

Elliot is good enough, he doesnt have term on his contract.

Elliot
Stolarz
Lyon
Hart

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd rather have Semborski than Neuvirth.

I blame @Striiker for pumping his tires all summer and claiming he would go injury free and solidify the position :thumbu:

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I think Neuvirth is history, even if he played well for two weeks, it would just mean sitting Stolarz and getting him rusty before he has to step in for the inevitable injury.

Elliott just needs to get healthy, if Stolarz can split time with him, I think Elliott is as good as Howard or any other goalie that would be available, he's just a guy who should only start 30-40 games a year at this point.

If Hart isn't ready by April (i.e. I'd like to see a good Calder Cup showing), I'd bring Elliott back for one season at a rate that would make him affordable as the third goalie when Hart is promoted next season. He's not going to have much of a market in FA.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Elliott is a broken down old nag that is ready for the glue factory. Its a sad state of affairs when the Flyers are looking to him to be the savior of the season. Neuvirth fits into the same category; just not as old but finished just the same. Neither Stolarz or Lyon have given any indication that they can be even a successful back up in the NHL.
The Flyers have to decide how good Hart or any one the young prospects are going to be. If any of them have real starting potential then getting Quick or Crawford for a couple of seasons as a bridge is the move to make. If not, then go for Varlamov or Bob on a long term contract and end the goalie roulette that has been going on for far too long here.
I think that at least one of the young guys will be a winner. Could be Hart, Sandstrom, to one of the Russians. It might be worth it to get Quick or Crawford and bring up Hart right now and see how it goes. It can't be much worse.

Reactions: CNote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad