Who's the greatest player you've ever seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
arnie said:
Oops, forgot one - Valery Kharmalov. He was so great the the only way that the Canadians could beat the Russians in '72 was to have Bobby Clarke go out and break his leg.

Amazing, isn't it. The Canadians portray the '72 series as its great moment of victory when in reality it was moment of monumental national disgrace.

That's because the Russians only brought knives to a gun fight. :D
It was sad, but it does show the will to win.

Best player? Live, as a Canucks fan, there's not much to choose from. Bure wins, no competition on that front.

Live on tv? (highlights don't count, you gotta see the whole game)
As a kid in the 50's, I was really impressed by Terry Sawchuk. Best goalie *ever*.

Looking back now, I'd have to say it was Gretzky #1 and Orr #2.

Beakermania*

arnie said:
Oops, forgot one - Valery Kharmalov. He was so great the the only way that the Canadians could beat the Russians in '72 was to have Bobby Clarke go out and break his leg.

Amazing, isn't it. The Canadians portray the '72 series as its great moment of victory when in reality it was moment of monumental national disgrace.

You gotta remember that this was a different time, it was the height of the cold war. Today that would be unaccaptable, but back then it was do whatever it takes to beat the filthy stinking communists.

soulok*

wayne

Watching Gretzky was like watching kasparov play Chess while the rest of the players on the ice were stuck playing checkers. Mind you Sydney Crosby is not the first player to score from behind the net using the puck on the stick method. Gretzky used to do it all the time during Oiler practice sessions. I remember people didnt care at the time because they were far more amused at watching him be 10 steps ahead of everyone else on the ice. Just because of that Gretzky never really needed to make fancy moves all the time...hed just be in position all the time to make the play look so easy. I wish Glen sather actually gave wayne 25min of icetime per game instaed of his usual 19 or 20 cuz wayne would probably be closer to 300 points instead of 200. God did descend from the heavens to play hockey with mere mortals. And his name was The Great Gretzky :bow:

Macman

May 15, 2004
arnie said:

Let it go, arnie, it happened 33 years ago. Most of us weren't even alive then.

If that's Canada's moment of monumental national disgrace, then thank God I'm Canadian.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Steve Yzerman! Seems like he's the answer I give to a lot of questions around here! :bow:

KOVALEV10*

soulok said:
Watching Gretzky was like watching kasparov play Chess while the rest of the players on the ice were stuck playing checkers. Mind you Sydney Crosby is not the first player to score from behind the net using the puck on the stick method. Gretzky used to do it all the time during Oiler practice sessions. I remember people didnt care at the time because they were far more amused at watching him be 10 steps ahead of everyone else on the ice. Just because of that Gretzky never really needed to make fancy moves all the time...hed just be in position all the time to make the play look so easy. I wish Glen sather actually gave wayne 25min of icetime per game instaed of his usual 19 or 20 cuz wayne would probably be closer to 300 points instead of 200. God did descend from the heavens to play hockey with mere mortals. And his name was The Great Gretzky :bow:

Hm.. ya right.. Glen Sather said that he used to always double or triple shift Gretzky in games.. So saying he only played 20 minutes a game is wrong buddy. Also even if he did play 20 ginutes sometimes, that doesnt mean that he would have scored 100 more points you know. Maybe 30 more points but never would he reach 300 points.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gretzky as a Blues...
Saw the goal where he danced around the whole team, faked out Mclean and wrapped around to score...amazing goal...

soulok*

Kovalev10. Sather would only double or triple shift him only when he knew Wayne had that extra somethin that night. Which for wayne back then was about a 5 point night or more. Sometimes even 8. It would be a robbery to triple shift Gretzky when u had players like Messier,Anderson,Tikkanen and co just sitting on the bench every game. Wayne would average about 20 min a game on at least 65 of the 80 games he would play. And let me tell you somethin else. There were nights when Wayne looked like he could get 10 or more points. If Wayne Gretzky averaged 30 min a game for 65 games of the year Im sure he would have more then 30 points like your stating. Maybe you were blind to the fact that hes Greater then any Russian player in any era. So if i was your "BUDDY" cuz i aint ur buddy
Id change thaT screen name. Before you start telling us that Alexie Kovolev is the second coming of christ. Better yet go watch the ultimate Gretzky DVD and litsen to what he tells John davidson. Goof. :dunce:

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Wayne Gretzky

I saw him play live 2 times in Montreal. Once at the Forum and twice at the Bell/Molson Centre.

I took him for granted. I knew at the time that he was the greatest but I wish today that I could see him again. I really miss him at the all-star game, skills competition. I can see him flying, with no helmet on, during the fastest skater contest.

I know that I'll tell my kids and my grand children that I saw Gretzky play, live. It's something I'm very proud to have been able to have done.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
PecaFan said:
That's because the Russians only brought knives to a gun fight. :D
It was sad, but it does show the will to win.

Best player? Live, as a Canucks fan, there's not much to choose from. Bure wins, no competition on that front.

Live on tv? (highlights don't count, you gotta see the whole game)
As a kid in the 50's, I was really impressed by Terry Sawchuk. Best goalie *ever*.

Looking back now, I'd have to say it was Gretzky #1 and Orr #2.
He didnt break Kharlamovs leg, He played again in that series. The Canadians beat them plain and simple. It just took them a while to get into shape. All this other crap is BS.

Boilers*

Jacques Plante said:
Wayne Gretzky

I saw him play live 2 times in Montreal. Once at the Forum and twice at the Bell/Molson Centre.

I took him for granted. I knew at the time that he was the greatest but I wish today that I could see him again. I really miss him at the all-star game, skills competition. I can see him flying, with no helmet on, during the fastest skater contest.

I know that I'll tell my kids and my grand children that I saw Gretzky play, live. It's something I'm very proud to have been able to have done.

I know exactly what you mean. It'd be nice to go back and see it all over again with a new perspective.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Pangolin said:
Gretzky as a Blues...
Saw the goal where he danced around the whole team, faked out Mclean and wrapped around to score...amazing goal...
I enjoyed that time as well as a Blues fan. Even at that age he was the best player on the ice most nights.

KariyaIsGod*

arnie said:

Oh c'mon now. Sure it was a terrible act on Clarke's part but the outcome wouldn't have changed. He still played later on in the series anyway.

Imagine if Orr and Hull had played, then it wouldn't have even been close...

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I saw Jagr play against the Nordiques, I remeber I was very young. Mario did not play that year because of his cancer. I saw 4 Habs game and 1 Nordiques game in my life I think, but the best player I ever saw is definitely Jagr.

KOVALEV10*

soulok said:
Kovalev10. Sather would only double or triple shift him only when he knew Wayne had that extra somethin that night. Which for wayne back then was about a 5 point night or more. Sometimes even 8. It would be a robbery to triple shift Gretzky when u had players like Messier,Anderson,Tikkanen and co just sitting on the bench every game. Wayne would average about 20 min a game on at least 65 of the 80 games he would play. And let me tell you somethin else. There were nights when Wayne looked like he could get 10 or more points. If Wayne Gretzky averaged 30 min a game for 65 games of the year Im sure he would have more then 30 points like your stating. Maybe you were blind to the fact that hes Greater then any Russian player in any era. So if i was your "BUDDY" cuz i aint ur buddy
Id change thaT screen name. Before you start telling us that Alexie Kovolev is the second coming of christ. Better yet go watch the ultimate Gretzky DVD and litsen to what he tells John davidson. Goof. :dunce:

Um.. for your information I do own the Gretzky dvd my friend. I have also seen his hall of fame spotlight video as well as numerous interviews of his. Have watched him play in games and yeah he was great. He wasnt the greatest though for me. Top 3 for sure but I would rank him after Orr and Lemieux. And second of all if you think that Gretzky would've hit the 10 points a game then why are you stating that its robbery as if Gretzky had indeed scored that many points then his team would've won or at least be so high on the scoreboard right? Also its not like playing more necessarly means more points. It could mean being tired, coughing up the puck and instead of letting his team put the puck into the other net, making the oppoisite happen. And when did I ever state that Kovalev is the next coming of christ. Are you a little drunk or something?

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I saw Lemieux and Gretzky head-to-head when I was around 7.
I was at a few Mario vs. Gretzky face offs at the then Civic Arena. Classics. Seeing them both on the ice at the same time, opposing each other.......I'm not sure if you can get a better head to head matchup anywhere in hockey!

soulok*

^^^And when did I ever state that Kovalev is the next coming of christ. Are you a little drunk or something?

I think you must be drunk by saying Gretzky is the 3rd best. Im sure 99 percent of the people in here can contest to that. If Wayne never showed Mario how to play at a level higher then anyone else in Canada Cup 87. We would be comparing Mario to Sakics and Yzermans. not Gretzky. Oh well ur entitled to your opinion. Even though Wayne has played nearly 500 more games in his career than Mario. He STILL owns the best PPG average between the two.

END OF DEBATE: theres nothing you can say to bring a better fact to the table. Period! :banghead:

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Lemieux

I was lucky enough to be at his first game out of retirement. Its impossible to describe the feeling everyone had walking into the building that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad