Who's in, whos out this offseason?

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
In : Someone to replace Vanek + a youngster like Andrighetto or De La Rose if possible (consider Beaulieu and Tinordi already in the line-up)
Out : Bouillon, Murray, Parros, Vanek, Gionta
Re-sign : Eller, Subban, Weaver, Weise, Markov
Trade : Bourque, White, Budaj or Tokarski

SherbrookeW

Nov 20, 2007
Trade Borque? RIght, that makes sense: a scintillating power forward who comes up big in the playoffs. Those guys you can find anywhere. ( Would it be better if he didn't lose focus in the regular season? You bet. It would be better if he scored sixty goals. You have to focus not on what a player might do, but on what he does do.) And Emelin: hard hitting durable defensemen who irritate the hell out of your most potent rival--you find those everywhere.( Of course, it would be better if he were faster and less mistake prone. But you judge players by what they're good at, not what you wish they were good at.)

Sword

May 26, 2014
Trading Bourque would be a mistake, there are players that get you to the the playoffs and those who help you win them, he's part of the latter, there aren't that many players that can do both, including the high paid ones. Look at Bickell, he's average at best during the regular season, his playoff performances earned him that contract.

Bourque is cheap, he was our best forward against the Sens in the playoffs last year and he's our most productive one this year. Getting rid of him or replacing him shouldn't be one of our main priorities.

I'd also keep Eller and let Pleks go, he's younger and more physical, he actually showed up when it mattered the most unlike Pleks, we shouldn't make the mistake of holding on too long to a player, trade him when he still has a decent value. Time to give more responsibility to both Eller and Galchenyuk, we're packed in the middle, what we need is a solid winger capable of scoring 20+ goals.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Trading Emelin and Bourque??????????? :shakehead

Out: Parros,Murray,Bouillon,Gionta,White

In: Eller,Weise,Subban,Markov,Weaver

Trade: Budaj,Moen,Briere

Sign: 1 big UFA forward + John Scott

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Chucky-Plekanec-Gaborik
Bourque-Eller-Andrighetto
Bournival-Prust-Weise
Scott

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver
/Tinordi

Price
Tokarski

Last edited:

techn9ne

May 28, 2014
IN
-------
Niskanen (in replacement of Markov, if not, keep Markov, see below)
Iginla /Stastny (if he can play on wing) / Callahnan (not a big fan but CH need an offensive guy)

OUT
-------
Bouillon
Murray
Parros
Markov (if Niskanen is signed)

KEEP
-------
Subban
Weaver
Weise
Eller
White (back up guy)

CALL-UP
--------
Tokarski
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Pateryn (7th-8th D, back up in case of Tinordi/Beaulieu not meeting expectation)
De La Rose (training camp will give us answers)

TRADE
------
Gorges
Budaj
Plekanec (See below)

Defense
----------
Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Niskanen (or Markov)
Beaulieu - Weaver
Pateryn

The reason I want Niskanen is because he play Right side, it will bring back Emelin on the left, where he has been more efficience. We can also sign another veteran in case of injuries or a young defensive playing really bad.

It's time to give Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn some ice time...

Offense
----------
Pacioretty - DD - gallagher
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Iginla (or an offensive player being responsable defensively)
bournival - eller - weise
prust - briere - moen

I did not take in account that we can receive an offensive player for plekanec/gorges since we mostly get a prospect and a draft pick.

Eller can now step in Plekanec shoes and play against the top players. He does not have the vision and hockey sense to play on top-2 lines. But he is rapid, defensively responsible, good size, good puck control and not afraid of contact.

An offensive player need to be bring via trade of free agency since there is no real top-6 offense prospect for the near future.

Goalie
---------
Tokarski
Price

Price has shown this year that he is the goaler that we wanted to be. I think that he can now have a kid as back-up.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
In my dream we get rid of DD and Chucky is finally playing center!!!!

Patches-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gaborik
Bournival-Plekanec-Weise
Moen-White-Prust

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I've seen the John Scott idea a few times and I don't get it.. He's a terrible hockey player.. :laugh:

Obviously it's good to have an enforcer type guy but I'd go after Shawn Thornton.. A lot of reports out of Boston they aren't resigning him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
3. Callahan: A beast of a leader, one of the hardest working players in the league. We paid Gionta, this guy is a better younger version who provides amazing leadership ability.

I like Callahan, I really do, but the price is way too high. Even the Rangers balked and decided to trade him though he was their captain.

With his play style, he'll be going the way of Gionta too. He'll be good his first two seasons then it will be a huge drop.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Bourque is having great series wich is perfect cause now someone will take the bait and take him off our hands for sure, even if its only for a pick.

K1ng0fthecastl3

May 16, 2014
NY
I've seen the John Scott idea a few times and I don't get it.. He's a terrible hockey player.. :laugh:

Obviously it's good to have an enforcer type guy but I'd go after Shawn Thornton.. A lot of reports out of Boston they aren't resigning him.

Why do we want to invest in someone like Scott or Thorton. There are other "fighters" out there that can also play and we do not need to waste our time with the failed experiments like we have had in the past of getting pure enforcers. Its a dying breed in the NHL

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I don't think everyone should be dismissing Budaj so quickly. Young gaolies need to play, not sit on the bench 90% of the time. Despite is sometimes heroic efforts,I think the Habs will leave Tokaraski in Hamilton. A developping goalie will be much better off starting the majority of games in the AHL rather than watching most games from the bench in the NHL.

Now that I've said that piece, back to the question at hand.

Resigned - Eller/Weise/Subban/Markov/Weaver and they'll make an offer to Vanek

Out - White/Parros/Bouillion/Murray/Gionta

Called up - Beaulieu

Shopped - Prust/Briere

This is a team that is in game six of the Eastern final without Carey Price. There will only be minor tweaks, unless they can't or don't resign Vanek, then that money will get spent. Likely on a RW. The defence will be largely the same unit we are seeing now unless someone like Tinordi or Pateryn really shine in camp. Do or die time for Leblanc, he could squeak into either the bottom 6 or 13th Forward range.

Pacioretty | DD | Gallagher
Galchenyuk | Plekanec | Vanek or Free Agent
Bournival | Eller | Bourque
Weise | Briere | Moen
Prust

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Beaulieu - Weaver

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Trading Bourque would be a mistake, there are players that get you to the the playoffs and those who help you win them, he's part of the latter, there aren't that many players that can do both, including the high paid ones. Look at Bickell, he's average at best during the regular season, his playoff performances earned him that contract.

Bourque is cheap, he was our best forward against the Sens in the playoffs last year and he's our most productive one this year. Getting rid of him or replacing him shouldn't be one of our main priorities.

I'd also keep Eller and let Pleks go, he's younger and more physical, he actually showed up when it mattered the most unlike Pleks, we shouldn't make the mistake of holding on too long to a player, trade him when he still has a decent value. Time to give more responsibility to both Eller and Galchenyuk, we're packed in the middle, what we need is a solid winger capable of scoring 20+ goals.

Agreed with all of this. Bolded line sounds like what Bergevin said during his pre-NYR-series presser.

Plus, letting go of Bourque on a team as small as ours, is ludicrous. Most teams will not easily part with skilled assets who can both skate and have a physical presence. And while I don't care about fighting, Bourque is one mean mofo, if he ever has to drop them. Call it an incidental advantage, if you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad