Whom would you draft in 2023 with our first pick ?

Whom would you pick in 2023 ?

• Reinbacher

Votes: 86 49.4%
  • Michkov

Votes: 58 33.3%
  • Leonard

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Danielson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dvorsky

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Wallinder (D)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Benson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sandin-Pellika (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I still wouldn't reach for a guy who's #10 on my list, so even if Michkov was off the table I'd go Leonard
You mean that Reinbacher is ranked 10th in your list ? In your list, do you rank Bedard, Carlsson, Fantalli and Smith on top or you exclude them because they were already picked before us ?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
You mean that Reinbacher is ranked 10th in your list ? In your list, do you rank Bedard, Carlsson, Fantalli and Smith on top or you exclude them because they were already picked before us ?
I'm including them, so of players remaining, he would be 6th

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Now that we made our 2024 pick, the answer has to be Reinbacher. Or we would have drafted three wingers in a row.

Had we drafted Leonard, who would we have drafted at D in 2024? Are the D picked after 5th any more interesting than Reinbacher? It's arguable, but I'm not so sure I would flip them.

The answer is Reinbacher.

Reactions: electron58

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
I wanted Michkov but I had no clue honestly who was Reinbacher besides being a D and had not followed him previously.

So when I learned about him in the following days I realized that this was probably the best pick fitting our needs and at the same time being one of the best D's of the draft if not the best one.

And I trust the management plan and vision they're trying to accomplish.

Les jours de misères sont bientôt terminés! 🤗😀

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
People keep glazing over the fact that Reinbacher put up better numbers than Dahlin did in his draft year. D+1 season "regression" is the result of an absolutely terrible team. He looked great in camp in September 2023. He was very good in Laval to finish the season.

That Michkov may well be the 2nd best player in the draft doesn't enter into it for me. Whatever the list of reasons Montreal had for not taking him, just like 4 other teams after Bedard/Hawks, I'm comfortable with it.

I'm good with Reinbacher.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
People keep glazing over the fact that Reinbacher put up better numbers than Dahlin did in his draft year. D+1 season "regression" is the result of an absolutely terrible team. He looked great in camp in September 2023. He was very good in Laval to finish the season.

That Michkov may well be the 2nd best player in the draft doesn't enter into it for me. Whatever the list of reasons Montreal had for not taking him, just like 4 other teams after Bedard/Hawks, I'm comfortable with it.

I'm good with Reinbacher.
You can't compare numbers straight across between the SHL and NL, they're on completely different levels as leagues.

Reactions: montreal

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You can't compare numbers straight across between the SHL and NL, they're on completely different levels as leagues.
I don't disagree. He was compared to someone selected very high going into draft, and based on his numbers. I had Dahlin in my mind when posted, but I may be misremember the name that was thrown out as a comparable.

Apr 28, 2010
Benson was actually my choice but wasn't disappointed with Reinbacher. Having a future top 4 RD is also important. Look at the Leafs, they have the "core four" but they were always missing a legit RD to pair with Reilly.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Benson, a sure value. Excellent 2 way game. This would have cancelled the Newhook trade and would have allowed us to draft a really good late 1st and early 2nd

He had a really good rookie year, he finished 11th in points amongst rookies, only -3 despite being one of the shortest and lightest player out there and only averaging 14.31 mins a game.

This is impressive and he's one of the only 4 players from the 2023 draft that played in the NHL the same season.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
With Demidov, Ill trust the team and go with Reinbacher.
Without Demidov, i go with Michkov. You can win a Cup without a 2-3 D. It’s too difficult without an elite forward.

Reactions: themilosh

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I wanted Leonard, I'd still pick him, and maybe that would have changed the pick in 2024 to Yakemchuck or Parekh.

why? Leonard-Dach-Demidov would make a great trio. Leonard play like a power forward and is not afraid to battle for the puck. I can see it being a good trio.

With or with out RB, our D core is still good. Leonard or Michkov selection would have impacted our second first round. We don't draft Hage with Michkov and Leonard. We probably draft Solberg.

Reactions: mdk

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
why? Leonard-Dach-Demidov would make a great trio. Leonard play like a power forward and is not afraid to battle for the puck. I can see it being a good trio.

With or with out RB, our D core is still good. Leonard or Michkov selection would have impacted our second first round. We don't draft Hage with Michkov and Leonard. We probably draft Solberg.
Because the pool would have a bigger hole at RD, forcing that trio to play more defensively probably.

Not a lot of good RDs on the UFA market either.

Was never impressed with Solberg, we'll see how he develops.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Demidov and Michkov on the same line would've been fun to watch, but that wouldve left us with a big hole at RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad