Who Would You Rather Have Going Forward? Drai or Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Would You Rather Have Going Forward?

• Neutral fan voting Drai

Votes: 92 40.4%
  • Neutral fan voting Matthews

Votes: 86 37.7%
  • Oilers fan voting Drai

Votes: 31 13.6%
  • Oilers fan voting Matthews

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Leafs fan voting Drai

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Leafs fan voting Matthews

Votes: 16 7.0%

• Total voters

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I think you honing in on a Stanley Cup win as the only way a player “gets it done” is disingenuous and the only way you can favour your player. Once again, ignoring the whole team sport aspect of the game.

Again - it’s a pathetic argument.
That's such a pathetic argument so why did you have to make up all your other pathetic arguments to attribute to me?

Also I never mentioned 'my player' (yeah, youre definitely not taking it personally :laugh:) but you seem to think the only reason I say Drai didnt get it done is because somehow that looks better for Matthews? It doesn't, why would you even pretend it does? If that were even the case (its not) it doesn't change the core concept of what I said, which is that he didnt get it done.

There is 0 professional athletes in the world that think they got it done while watching another team win the championship.

Give it your best, have an incredibile season, be a better player, etc are all things that are achievable without winning but that's not getting it done.

What is getting it done to you?

Edit: Why do you keep making up things and pretending I say them? LOL when did I say I didnt like you saying its an argument? I literally said "my only argument" in the quote you replied to. The f*** are you even talking about, man?:laugh:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I’m pretty sure it’s because he is useless in the playoffs but sure

Also “one of the best defensive forwards in the league” is too funny
Got completely clamped by Danault , also completely clamped in columbus play in. God knows who their C was , Probably a mix of PLD/Boone Jenner , clamped by whatever Boston was running at Center last year , Zacha or Coyle , pick the 60 point center you want it doesn't even matter :laugh: to be fair last playoffs his tum tum really hurt so I get it

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
That's such a pathetic argument so why did you have to make up all your other pathetic arguments to attribute to me?

Also I never mentioned 'my player' (yeah, youre definitely not taking it personally :laugh:) but you seem to think the only reason I say Drai didnt get it done is because somehow that looks better for Matthews? It doesn't, why would you even pretend it does? If that were even the case (its not) it doesn't change the core concept of what I said, which is that he didnt get it done.

There is 0 professional athletes in the world that think they got it done while watching another team win the championship.

Give it your best, have an incredibile season, be a better player, etc are all things that are achievable without winning but that's not getting it done.

What is getting it done to you?

Edit: Why do you keep making up things and pretending I say them? LOL when did I say I didnt like you saying it’s an argument? The f*** are you even talking about man?:laugh:
Lots of drivel about me taking it personally or what is what argument which there is no point in addressing.

Getting it done, quite simply, is pulling your weight when you’re supposed to (in the context of a team sport). Something Draisaitl has done year after year in the regular season and especially in the playoffs.

Honing in on a Stanley Cup win as the only way to measure success or “getting the job done” is disingenuous. Especially in the context of a team sport with 5 other players on the ice. And especially when this thread is a clear comparison of two players.

Anyways - back to the topic at hand…

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Drai is two years older then Matthews and will cost an extra 750 k per year on the cap, after this year. That can't be ignored.

Drai has a better playoffs history but his teams have been better with McDavid in a weaker conference.

I think Drai is better one season and Matthews is better the next season.

Who do I want going forward though?

It's a very tough question, honestly.

It's about as even as it gets IMO although both fan bases will try to up their guy.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Lots of drivel about me taking it personally or what is what argument which there is no point in addressing.

Getting it done, quite simply, is pulling your weight when you’re supposed to (in the context of a team sport). Something Draisaitl has done year after year in the regular season and especially in the playoffs.

Honing in on a Stanley Cup win as the only way to measure success or “getting the job done” is disingenuous. Especially in the context of a team sport with 5 other players on the ice. And especially when this thread is a clear comparison of two players.

Anyways - back to the topic at hand…
You can’t argue with people who pretend there’s no difference between multiple 30+ point playoffs and being a major reason your team can’t get past the first round

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Is that what I argued? Care to show me where I said that?
You're equating both as equals for *not getting it done* .

Meanwhile one guy has top 5 all time playoff numbers in the history of the game over a decent timeframe with an acceptable sample size.

The other guy simply folds when the going gets tough and every single regular season stat you can come up with for him comes down in the playoffs

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You're equating both as equals for *not getting done* .

Meanwhile one guy has top 5 all time playoff numbers in the history of the game over a decent timeframe with an acceptable sample size.

The other guy simply folds when the going gets tough and every single regular season stat you can come up with comes down when the going gets tough

No, I am not.

I am saying Draisaitl didnt get it done, so saying "he gets it done" is false.

That has nothing to do with Matthews or the poll or whatever weird little arguments you people are concocting in your heads that I didn't say.

Did he get it done?
No.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No, I am not.

I am saying Draisaitl didnt get it done, so saying "he gets it done" is false.

That has nothing to do with Matthews or the poll or whatever weird little arguments you people are concocting in your heads that I didn't say.

Did he get it done?
No.
So Phil Kessel is a better player than Draisaitl and Matthews? Got it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think you honing in on a Stanley Cup win as the only way a player “gets it done” is disingenuous and the only way you can favour your player. Once again, ignoring the whole team sport aspect of the game.

Again - it’s a pathetic argument.

Edit: since you don’t like me saying it’s an argument, consider it a poor extrapolation or point to bridge the gap between the two players.
This entire argument seems more based on semantics rather than the general point. Swap "gets it done" to "performs in the playoffs" and suddenly I don't think there's any leg to stand on.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
This entire argument seems more based on semantics rather than the general point. Swap "gets it done" to "performs in the playoffs" and suddenly I don't think there's any leg to stand on.
100%, if you make a different statement it means different things.

Draisaitl has always performed better than Matthews in the playoffs and he has done it consistently while going longer on more occasions and that has never been in question from my perspective.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
We did, and he won a Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay trophy.

Do peoples memories on this board erase after 12 months?

And in addition, why is it even necessary if one has watched hockey for more than ten years? I didn’t need to see Crosby go down to know that Malkin was elite. People shouldn’t need to see McDavid miss most of a season to get a good read on what kind of player Draisaitl is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad