Who Would You Rather Have Going Forward? Drai or Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Would You Rather Have Going Forward?

• Neutral fan voting Drai

Votes: 78 40.2%
  • Neutral fan voting Matthews

Votes: 72 37.1%
  • Oilers fan voting Drai

Votes: 27 13.9%
  • Oilers fan voting Matthews

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Leafs fan voting Drai

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Leafs fan voting Matthews

Votes: 13 6.7%

• Total voters

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have to stick with Draisaitl for right now due to having five 100 point seasons in the last 6 years and his playoff performances. He if had a teams first line prime 5 on 5 ice time with their best wingers every night it would be interesting to see what he could do. If Matthews can continue what he did last season and have some impactful playoff performances, it could change my mind.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Draisaitl. Easy decision.

Matthews is one dimensional offensively, average defensively and disappears in the playoffs. There's no argument to taking him over Draisaitl.

Reactions: PuckG

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
People are calling Draisaitl this great playoff player when he's been terrible defensively. Why doesn't that get taken into account. Just look at his on ice goals for % and compare to Mcdavid or Matthews.

Both are similar players offensive well even then Draisaitl plays with Mcdavid so he has a massive advantage.

But defensively....it's not close.

Matthews is closer to Mcdavid than Draisaitl is to Matthews.
Sorry but Draisaitl is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Draisaitl this great playoff player when he's been terrible defensively. Just look at his on ice goals for % and compare to Mcdavid or Matthews.
OIGF% (all strengths) in playoffs.

- Draisaitl: 156-90 (63%).

- McDavid: 167-81 (67%)

- Matthews: 64-43 (60%)

OIGF% (5v5)

- Draisaitl: 79-64 (55%)

- McDavid: 87-57 (60%)

- Matthews: 36-32 (53%)

Looks like Matthews is the worst of the bunch. The vast majority of his is in the 1st round as well.
Both are similar players offensive well even then Draisaitl plays with Mcdavid so he has a massive advantage.

Matthews is closer to Mcdavid than Draisaitl is to Matthews.

Draisaitl is at 1.46 PPG over the last 5 years, 2nd in that time. Matthews at 1.27, good for 6th. McDavid at 1.70. And the gulf is even wider in the playoffs.

Draisaitl is closer to McDavid than Matthews is to Draisaitl.

Reactions: Kerberos and PuckG

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

OIGF% (5v5)

Looks like Matthews is the worst of the bunch. The vast majority of his is in the 1st round as well.

Draisaitl is at 1.46 PPG over the last 5 years, 2nd in that time. Matthews at 1.27, good for 6th. McDavid at 1.70. And the gulf is even wider in the playoffs.

Aside from goalscoring, I guess the only argument in Matthew’s favour is to blatantly lie about his defensive prowess and goals for percentage now.

If you removed names/teams and just posted stats, this poll is a landslide in Draisaitl’s favour.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don’t like either team but I’d take Matthews.
I think if he had a generational player like McDavid to play with it would take a lot of the pressure off of him. Both are obviously superstars I just see more attention to the defensive side of the game from Matthews too. As I said One guy has McDavid and the other guy doesn’t so it’s a tough comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG and Kerberos

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Draisaitl. Easy decision.

Matthews is one dimensional offensively, average defensively and disappears in the playoffs. There's no argument to taking him over Draisaitl.
You listed 3 things and 2 of them were made up :laugh:

There are so many reasons why somebody could prefer Draisaitl, why not just copy somebody else's homework instead of blatantly lying?

Even if you pretend he is one dimensional offensively... I have to assume that one dimension is goal scoring? Are you using being the best goal scorer in the league, the hardest thing to do, as a negative now?

Also he is a finalist for the Selke so I don't think you understand what 'average' means.:help::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

OIGF% (5v5)

Absolutely smoked

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's close but it's the playoff track record that makes the difference.

If Matthews can put together a couple of great runs, it could easily swing the other way.

They're in the same tier.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I'm telling you this is not close. Any gm, player, scout, twitter/x analyst will tell you this is Matthews AINEC.

The only reason Matthews gets underrated is because he plays for Toronto. That's it. One of the best goal scorers of all time who is also currently one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

I don't even like Matthews that much as a person but even I can respect the talent.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I'm telling you this is not close. Any gm, player, scout, twitter/x analyst will tell you this is Matthews AINEC.

The only reason Matthews gets underrated is because he plays for Toronto. That's it. One of the best goal scorers of all time who is also currently one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

I don't even like Matthews that much as a person but even I can respect the talent.
I’m pretty sure it’s because he is useless in the playoffs but sure

Also “one of the best defensive forwards in the league” is too funny

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
IMG_0821.jpeg

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He got less votes than Sam Reinhart lmfao why would you post this
Let's pretend sam reinhart should have finished ahead of him, that still makes him the 4th place selke finalist, which still makes him "one of the best defensive forwards in the league".

I posted it because it proves you wrong, I just didnt realize you couldnt understand it. :laugh:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Let's pretend sam reinhart should have finished ahead of him, that still makes him the 4th place selke finalist, which still makes him "one of the best defensive forwards in the league".

I posted it because it proves you wrong, I just didnt realize you couldnt understand it. :laugh:
Voting doesn’t prove me wrong actually, it is subjective and nobody outside of Toronto agrees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad