Who would you pick 1OA, Lemieux or McDavid?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lemieux or McDavid

• Lemieux

Votes: 197 88.7%
  • McDavid

Votes: 25 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Lemieux,

Modern day medicine, better research around the sport and less smoking hed have a healthier career
Lemieux didn't smoke much...he quit entirely in his very early 20s.

Very little compared to Lafleur, Bossy, Denis Savard [and many other players], who smoked liked chimneys for most or all of their careers.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll assume this is about them as prospects. I'd go with Lemieux. Better iq than McDavid and bigger, and with even better puck skills than McDavid has despite being elite there. McDavid is comfortably the better skater but Lemieux was fast when healthy and you can improve skating to some degree. The size and skill gap is too tempting, plus Lemieux is the smarter player.

Reactions: blundluntman

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
With modern nutrition and training, no two line pass, and a very soft unphysical league, Mario would dominate even more in today's league compared to the 90s.

Part of what made Mario Mario was being arrogant enough to disregard those types of things.

The phenomena you cite would likely only reduce his separation seeing as how the rest of the league adopted it while Mario wouldn't.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Even with injuries, Mario. As great as McDavid is, has chance to finish 4th all time IMO. Mario is in that 3. The 3 that everyone knows. Him, Wayne and Orr. I wouldn't take anyone in a 1v1 poll against 1 of those 3. No disrespect to McDavid.
That's not the 3 everyone knows.

Howe over Lemieux is very common.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Is the assumption their careers are the same or that things can change? I think if Lemieux still misses the time he did and retires initially at 31 again, McDavid might make sense as I have a feeling he’s going to be far more valuable after age 27. Lemieux is the better talent though so as players coming in today at the same level they were relative to the league, I think Lemieux might stay healthier and play longer from being in better shape in a league that’s less violent/physical.

Lemieux is the better player but it’s debatable if he’s better enough that despite the missed time, he would lead to a better chance of winning
This is how I voted as well and for this type of reasoning ( the knowing what we know part).

I've said it other places but Mario is all about numbers, if one breaks down his career and does the same critique for every player historically he isn't in the Big 4 any more.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Part of what made Mario Mario was being arrogant enough to disregard those types of things.

The phenomena you cite would likely only reduce his separation seeing as how the rest of the league adopted it while Mario wouldn't.

But is that also a product of the times because he was able to do what he did without having to work as hard? He put in the work as he got older and it was necessary. It’s possible he’d be more committed to that in todays environment where even junior players take their training and nutrition pretty seriously

Reactions: wetcoast

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
But is that also a product of the times because he was able to do what he did without having to work as hard? He put in the work as he got older and it was necessary. It’s possible he’d be more committed to that in todays environment where even junior players take their training and nutrition pretty seriously
Doesn't that just make this a case of take McDavid for how he is, but we can imagine a bunch of different scenarios for how Mario can improve?

Can we assume that either player gets drafted by better run teams than Edmonton or Pittsburgh?

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
1719779908937.png

Lemieux would be the #1 pick against anybody and everybody in the history of hockey.

He had it all, and he was improving greatly every year in junior (and continued to do so every year in the NHL), which is exactly what you want in a prospect.

As perfect a prospect as can be.

maybe not Lindros?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It depends if McDavid ages like Crosby or not. If he does, he may have the argument for the better career and being the better pick.

Right now though - it's Lemieux.

Reactions: WalterLundy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: