Who would you pick 1OA, Lemieux or McDavid?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lemieux or McDavid

• Lemieux

Votes: 197 88.7%
  • McDavid

Votes: 25 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Even with injuries, Mario. As great as McDavid is, has chance to finish 4th all time IMO. Mario is in that 3. The 3 that everyone knows. Him, Wayne and Orr. I wouldn't take anyone in a 1v1 poll against 1 of those 3. No disrespect to McDavid.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
McDavid. As a prospect he showed he was willing to work to be great. Mario was historically lazy and a lot his health issues were self inflicted.
Lazy enough to play through cancer and bad back injuries. I think health is a bigger question than laziness, I also think with modern dieting and medicine, Mario would be laughing.

Reactions: dukeofjive

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lazy enough to play through cancer and bad back injuries. I think health is a bigger question than laziness, I also think with modern dieting and medicine, Mario would be laughing.
All those things were available then. He just didn't care enough to take care of his body.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t think it’s fair or even useful to compare eras. With that said, I think Lemieux was more dominant relative to his peers, although I could be wrong. One thing I can’t wrap my head around though is just how incredibly slow and uncoordinated Lemieux looks in early footage. A player operating the way Lemieux did at that speed would NEVER fly in today’s league. But like I said, comparisons like that aren’t really fair, and I don’t think that should be held against Lemieux.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
All those things were available then. He just didn't care enough to take care of his body.
He did enough to win 2 Cups, and put up Gretzky numbers, carving through entire teams. He didn't have a Draisaitl or Messier/Kurrt until like 1993. Stooping to calling Mario lazy is funny. He was better than McDavid.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Is the assumption their careers are the same or that things can change? I think if Lemieux still misses the time he did and retires initially at 31 again, McDavid might make sense as I have a feeling he’s going to be far more valuable after age 27. Lemieux is the better talent though so as players coming in today at the same level they were relative to the league, I think Lemieux might stay healthier and play longer from being in better shape in a league that’s less violent/physical.

Lemieux is the better player but it’s debatable if he’s better enough that despite the missed time, he would lead to a better chance of winning

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Connor McDavid is a legendary player who might cement himself as the consensus 5th best of all time

But it's f***ing Mario lmao

1719772435685.png

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Mario. No hesitation. McDavid is making a case to have a better career, but peak play (assuming we've seen the best of McDavid) and I still give it to Lemieux.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Lemieux would be the #1 pick against anybody and everybody in the history of hockey.

He had it all, and he was improving greatly every year in junior (and continued to do so every year in the NHL), which is exactly what you want in a prospect.

As perfect a prospect as can be.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Lemieux very easily

That frame and talent with modern nutrition and training would be literally unstoppable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad