Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Using HW's forwards, who is in their "prime" up front?

* Mc David, McKinnon, Marner, Point.

As for the rest...

* TBH, I'm not sure what Hyman is.

* Stamkos, Sid, Marchand, Bergeron, Stone are past their "Best Before" date.

* Not ready for prime time : Suzuki, Cozens, Dubois (is close).

If you want to see Canada win EVERY Best On Best, and most of us do, having a few more years to put Humpty Dumpty together may be a blessing.

Note : The 2016 Team Europe proved a lot of "older" players could be great in a "Best On Best" so... maybe there is something to be said for experience.
Elite Canadian players in their mid(-ish) 20's (aka prime):

McDavid, Marner, Mackinnon, Makar. (Thank god for "M" last names).

Elite American players in the mid(-ish) 20's (aka prime):

Matthews, Hughes, Thompson, Robertson, M. Tkachuk, B. Tkachuk, Fox, Eichel, Mcavoy

We're in trouble. We are at best even with the US right now and every year the NHL waits for best-on-best the worse it gets for Canada.

Until the new generation (Bedard, Power etc) are ready the USA has us beat.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Fair enough on the Gretzky comparison.

If you look at the list of "high end prospects" for Canada since 2019, it's astounding. Even if half (a third?) reached their potential, we'd be flooded with great players.

I am guessing you are thinking about some high end draft picks over the last 3-4 years that haven't quite panned out yet, but might?

If so, that could be Lafreniere, Byfield, Perfetti, Power, Wright, Cossa, Drysdale, McTavish, Guenther, Savoie, etc.

Because that would be some good talent if they turn into stars. But right now the 2020 draft is lame, the 2022 draft is perhaps too early to judge but doesn't look great and the 2021 draft is alright so far.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
McDavid - Crosby - Stamkos
Marchand - Bergeron - MacKinnon
Horvat - Point - Marner
Dubois - Scheifele - Stone
Kyrou, Nugent-Hopkins

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Doughty
Pelech, Hamilton

Jarry
Hart
Kuemper

I'd love to see Crosby play on a line with McDavid. In the context of constructing Team Canada, it would make Hyman redundant, and would free up space in the lineup to bring more offensively gifted players. Stamkos usually slots in as a winger now (LW or RW...providing optionality), and is a player that can play with pace and can still finish what others create. Stamkos presents a very strong RHS option for faceoffs.

Assuming everyone is healthy, and the Olympics were held in February/March 2023. Overall, I'd lean heavily towards bringing players who are playing well this season and look to start integrating some younger talent where possible. Admittedly, this team is a little on the older side but I would think of it as a transitional team with younger players taking more prominent role next time (if/when)..

I'd swap Nuge and Hornet (mainly because Nuge has played a lot more at LW), but I like the overall look of this.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I'd swap Nuge and Hornet (mainly because Nuge has played a lot more at LW), but I like the overall look of this.

That would be a viable option. Overall, at the best-on-best level I'm not sold on Horvat at center as he's unappealing from a puck carrying/distribution perspective, and more importantly he's not good enough defensively to play down the middle at that level. I'd want to get his goal-scoring ability (particularly on the PP), physicality and LHS faceoff capability on the roster but think he's better suited to the wing. If this were real life, I could see Horvat being passed over for a roster spot in favour of someone like Tavares as brings what Horvat does offensively, is a much better puck distributor and defensive player than Horvat, and has best-on-best experience.

Having Nuge play the left side with Point and Marner would add to the creativity and puck skill on the line. He would likely benefit the line defensively as well, though of course the line would lose a lot of physicality which perhaps isn't a big deal given the other bodies in the lineup that can be shifted around if it becomes an issue.

Reactions: ujju2

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I am guessing you are thinking about some high end draft picks over the last 3-4 years that haven't quite panned out yet, but might?

If so, that could be Lafreniere, Byfield, Perfetti, Power, Wright, Cossa, Drysdale, McTavish, Guenther, Savoie, etc.

Because that would be some good talent if they turn into stars. But right now the 2020 draft is lame, the 2022 draft is perhaps too early to judge but doesn't look great and the 2021 draft is alright so far.

I'd consider Power for a depth role on a best-on-best team right now, and I think McTavish and Drysdale could be feasible candidates in the not-too-distant future. But aside from them and the more obvious prospects, we have players such Quinn, Johnston, Mercer, Cozens, Byram, and Dobson who are still developing and could become stars in the NHL, and a large group of young players who are already stars and could push their way onto a best-on-best roster depending on need (Suzuki, Thomas, Kyrou, Konecny, Cirelli, Batherson, Chycrun, Barzal, Nurse, etc.).

Overall, with McDavid, Makar and MacKinnon all around for another few cycles, we'll be in reasonable shape. Perhaps not the gold medal favourites like we were from ~2010 to 2016, but in the upper tier of contenders nonetheless.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I’ve mentioned him! Anyone who watched the playoffs last year knows he can be productive at this level
He's still a kid and, as someone else mentioned, injury prone. Hopefully everything will come together and he will take his place on the national team.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Point - MacKinnon - Marner
Scheifele - Horvat - McDavid
Marchand - Crosby - Burgeron
Doobie - Couture - McDavid 2

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You have to feel for the 92-96 births that probably forever missed their chance to play in an NHL Olympics due to greed and selfishness.

Reactions: Crosby2010

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Why the no love for Sean couturier?

I’m disappointed in Quinton Byfield and lafreniere

They can still surprise in 2 years from now.

Seriously? Do you not follow anything? He hasn't played a NHL game since Dec. 18 2021. To make Canada's NT. you actually need to be playing and not rehabbing chronic career threatening injuries.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I'd consider Power for a depth role on a best-on-best team right now, and I think McTavish and Drysdale could be feasible candidates in the not-too-distant future. But aside from them and the more obvious prospects, we have players such Quinn, Johnston, Mercer, Cozens, Byram, and Dobson who are still developing and could become stars in the NHL, and a large group of young players who are already stars and could push their way onto a best-on-best roster depending on need (Suzuki, Thomas, Kyrou, Konecny, Cirelli, Batherson, Chycrun, Barzal, Nurse, etc.).

Overall, with McDavid, Makar and MacKinnon all around for another few cycles, we'll be in reasonable shape. Perhaps not the gold medal favourites like we were from ~2010 to 2016, but in the upper tier of contenders nonetheless.

I just don't see how Canada still won't be the favourite. Perhaps the gap is narrowed from the years you are talking about, but I don't think any country would pass up trading their roster for ours. Today or in 2 years

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I just don't see how Canada still won't be the favourite. Perhaps the gap is narrowed from the years you are talking about, but I don't think any country would pass up trading their roster for ours. Today or in 2 years
Canada would be the favourite because of McDavid. However, this is the weakest Team Canada most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Canada would be the favourite because of McDavid. However, this is the weakest Team Canada most of us have seen in our lifetimes.
Hard to say to what extent it is Canada getting weaker and to what extent it is other countries stepping it up.

Percentage of top point 50 producers by decade that were Canadian

1950s: 100 %
1960s: 98 % (Tom Williams)
1970s: 100 %
1980s: 78 %
1990s: 58 %
2000s: 44 %
2010s: 52 %
2020s: 30 %

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hard to say to what extent it is Canada getting weaker and to what extent it is other countries stepping it up.

Percentage of top point 50 producers by decade that were Canadian

1950s: 100 %
1960s: 98 % (Tom Williams)
1970s: 100 %
1980s: 78 %
1990s: 58 %
2000s: 44 %
2010s: 52 %
2020s: 30 %
Canada had a bunch of weak drafts in a row - we have no young players pushing out the old. When the average NHL career length is 4.5 years, even a few weak drafts will take its toll.

On the plus side, Canada is currently having a bunch of terrific drafts while other countries "lull" so, in a few years, Canada will widen the gap.... hopefully. ;)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Canada had a bunch of weak drafts in a row - we have no young players pushing out the old. When the average NHL career length is 4.5 years, even a few weak drafts will take its toll.

On the plus side, we're currently having a bunch of terrific drafts so, in a few years, Canada will widen the gap.... hopefully. ;)
Probably, 30 % is obviously far too low given the overall player numbers, so that is not sustainable just like sub-50 % wasn't sustainable back in the 2000s. Bedard and Fantilli will certainly put up points and both can likely be pencilled in for future Team Canadas (hopefully real, not hypothetical ones). Can likely count on Owen Power as a future Team Canada Top 4 guy as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Probably, 30 % is obviously far too low given the overall player numbers, so that is not sustainable just like sub-50 % wasn't sustainable back in the 2000s. Bedard and Fantilli will certainly put up points and both can likely be pencilled in for future Team Canadas (hopefully real, not hypothetical ones). Can likely count on Owen Power as a future Team Canada Top 4 guy as well.
There are so many top end Canadian players under the age of 22, even if a third develop as hoped, Canada will be set for a decade (plus). We just need them to step up - attention "Laf" and QB.

During the late "teen" drafts, the U.S. excelled at producing terrific players while Canada <bleeped> the bed, so we have no one to blame but ourselves for the current disappointing Best On Best team.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There are so many top end Canadian players under the age of 22, even if a third develop as hoped, Canada will be set for a decade (plus). We just need them to step up - attention "Laf" and QB.

During the late "teen" drafts, the U.S. excelled at producing terrific players while Canada <bleeped> the bed, so we have no one to blame but ourselves for the current disappointing Best On Best team.
Yeah, 2016-2019 drafts feel like a bit of an anomaly in that regard, for the U.S. sake, they probably need a best on best tournament quick before Bedard comes into his own. If he lives up to his potential, then the two Connors make Canada a bit too OP up front.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, 2016-2019 drafts feel like a bit of an anomaly in that regard, for the U.S. sake, they probably need a best on best tournament quick before Bedard comes into his own. If he lives up to his potential, then the two Connors make Canada a bit too OP up front.
I agree, 100%.

A U.S. team in 2023 - 2026 would be YOUNG, FAST and EXPLOSIVE while a Canadian team would be "experienced". If we didn't have McDavid, the U.S. would be favoured.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Yeah, two generational talents will be almost impossible to overcome. McDavid is already a massive defensive challenge with stars surrounding him.

The US needs a World Cup to happen in 2025.

To be fair, it might already be too late if Bedard follows McDavid's path.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, two generational talents will be almost impossible to overcome. McDavid is already a massive defensive challenge with stars surrounding him.

The US needs a World Cup to happen in 2025.

To be fair, it might already be too late if Bedard follows McDavid's path.
2025 would be a perfect year for the U.S. because Crosby, Bergeron, Marchand and Stamkos will have aged out and almost all of the U.S.'s best players will be in the peak 25-29 zone.

In 2025, you'll likely see a Canadian team that is "too young".

I'm disappointed to have never seen McDavid play at a Best On Best in a Canadian uniform. It would have been a treat at the last World Cup.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
McDavid - Crosby - Stamkos
Marchand - Bergeron - MacKinnon
Horvat - Point - Marner
Dubois - Scheifele - Stone
Kyrou, Nugent-Hopkins

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Doughty
Pelech, Hamilton

Jarry
Hart
Kuemper

I'd love to see Crosby play on a line with McDavid. In the context of constructing Team Canada, it would make Hyman redundant, and would free up space in the lineup to bring more offensively gifted players. Stamkos usually slots in as a winger now (LW or RW...providing optionality), and is a player that can play with pace and can still finish what others create. Stamkos presents a very strong RHS option for faceoffs.

Assuming everyone is healthy, and the Olympics were held in February/March 2023. Overall, I'd lean heavily towards bringing players who are playing well this season and look to start integrating some younger talent where possible. Admittedly, this team is a little on the older side but I would think of it as a transitional team with younger players taking more prominent role next time (if/when)..

I like it, but I would have

Mackinnon-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Nuge-Point-Stone
Dubois-Horvat-Sheifele

Stamkos,Tavares

Toews-Makar
Pelech-Doughty
Thoedore-Hamilton

Morrissey,Pie

Ad

Upcoming events