Speculation: Who would be a good value 3C or an older 2C

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
...Eric Staal? No need to give up any assets to acquire him.

He still has the heart but at this point, he's slowed down to a 4C and a downgrade to Evans/Poehling.

Looking for more of a full timer in case Evans gets another concussion or Poehling fails to step up. Right now, Evans is a real 3C with high quality defense but limited scoring. Strome would be the opposite in more scoring but less of a hard core 200ft. player.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not many new names arose out of this conversation.

Kadri is the top of my list but the Avs need him too so unlikely to be available.

Strome....good candidate but i thought the Rangers were now trying to move up on the standings.

Getz...i dreamed that Getz and Perry would adopt the Habs and give us a shot. Getz doesn't want to move and Perry moved on. I'm pretty sure Bbinz knocked on Getz door to sign with us....but got the polite no. Who knows though at the trade deadline. Less time commitment.

Bozak hasn't been signed by anyone for a reason. On paper he looks good but, unlike Kadri or Strome, it's a pure one year rental with no future.

To fellow Hab fans...i like Evans/ Poehling and of course i want them to turn out to be diamonds, but i wouldn't bet the season on them.....and the need for back-up.

we can't afford Strome long term.
That's why a late 1st will suffice.

...Eric Staal? No need to give up any assets to acquire him.
You get what you pay for/what you don't pay for.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
we can't afford Strome long term.
That's why a late 1st will suffice.

Any indication on what he wants? At 4.5 million, that's already too much for a 3C.

Chances are that Bbinz has already contacted about him but that cap makes it smarter to see where Poehling is heading.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
what would need to be added to drouin for monohan . i'm just saying drouin because there salaries are similar
hoffman monohan gallagher
toffoli suzuki caufield
anderson dvorak armia
perreault evans lehkonen

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I was going to say Getzlaf. Perry one year, Getzlaf the next. I have no idea what the Habs are doing now. Maybe they can try Drouin at centre again? Since the wings are stacked. Honestly I could see a Drouin for Kadri trade, if Newhook or Bowers emerge in Colorado.
Not likely. We don't want or need Drouin. If Bowers makes the league it's as 4c. Dude has no offence. If Newhook thrives as a centre then we have three good centres. No need to change that.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
What's the detail with Zajac, is he still planning on playing or is he retiring?

He could be a decent bottom six option to help defensively, on the PK and on faceoffs.. allowing Suzuki and Dvorak to play more offensively.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
No, your mistake is back peddling...

So now it's Dvorak isn't an upgrade over a 3overall who has potential to be much better, but isn't there yet? It's an upgrade this year, whether the trade would have made sense for the organization or not. They were handcuffed and traded for Dvorak, who is currently a much better play. Rolling Dvorak as their 2c over KK is an upgrade this year whether you like the trade or don't like the trade. The initial post your responded to had the poster just saying they feel better about the 2c spot going into this season. Stop turning this into Dvorak isn't worth a 3rd overall pick. That's not what this is.
Don't argue with silly stuff. Draft position means nothing. That mistake is in the past.

I can see Habs fans feeling Dvorak is an upgrade over Kotkaniemi, I agree wit that. But do you think overall the Habs are better this year than last year overall at centre With Danault gone?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't argue with silly stuff. Draft position means nothing. That mistake is in the past.

I can see Habs fans feeling Dvorak is an upgrade over Kotkaniemi, I agree wit that. But do you think overall the Habs are better this year than last year overall at centre With Danault gone?
No, I don't. But from the original poster point, the feeling of having an upgrade was done after what the Habs initially had going into this season. But, no, I don't think you can lose a player like Danault and come out better off.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No, I don't. But from the original poster point, the feeling of having an upgrade was done after what the Habs initially had going into this season. But, no, I don't think you can lose a player like Danault and come out better off.

True but within limits...

Danault was playing on a team that was fully focused on the 200ft game. It wasn't like Danault was superman playing one type of game while the rest of the team played run and gun. Evans plays the exact same game and probably 80-90% as effective. Lehky-Evans-Armia are going to be a biiiaaatch to play against. Although I prefer 4 interchangeable lines.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Any indication on what he wants? At 4.5 million, that's already too much for a 3C.

Chances are that Bbinz has already contacted about him but that cap makes it smarter to see where Poehling is heading.

your thread says 2C or 3C
on certain teams he may get bumped down to 3C
but on most he is 2C pushing 1C who has played well w/first line Ws.

"Any indication on what he wants? At 4.5 million, that's already too much for a 3C."
Have no idea but guess he wants term 4-5 yrs
that + covid impact bad timing now will push him from well over 6 to closer to 6 MAX is my guess and a club he wants/is comfy with, price could drop.

I'm thinking Leafs first b'c he's from TOR + grew up a Leafs fan.
But if he's a better fit in MON and recognizes that, I could see ballpark of 5.25 x 4.

You get what you pay for and that's reasonable.

We need that $ for zib, so first taker gets him

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What's the detail with Zajac, is he still planning on playing or is he retiring?

He could be a decent bottom six option to help defensively, on the PK and on faceoffs.. allowing Suzuki and Dvorak to play more offensively.
Not too sure. I’m guessing he is waiting on what the Islanders are wanting to do but I can’t see them signing him with still needing to replace Leddy. Unless Aho is their replacement for him?
Anyways , I dot think Zajac has that much left in the tank. Maybe as a 3c and PK guy he is till good defensively but I’m not sure if he can maintain the level of play all season to be effective anymore.
I hope he does find a NHL gig but it’s not looking good for him so far.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
your thread says 2C or 3C
on certain teams he may get bumped down to 3C
but on most he is 2C pushing 1C who has played well w/first line Ws.

"Any indication on what he wants? At 4.5 million, that's already too much for a 3C."
Have no idea but guess he wants term 4-5 yrs
that + covid impact bad timing now will push him from well over 6 to closer to 6 MAX is my guess and a club he wants/is comfy with, price could drop.

I'm thinking Leafs first b'c he's from TOR + grew up a Leafs fan.
But if he's a better fit in MON and recognizes that, I could see ballpark of 5.25 x 4.

You get what you pay for and that's reasonable.

We need that $ for zib, so first taker gets him

5.25x4...is going to be a bit expensive. May well represent decent value, but Suzuki needs to be signed and Drouin will be still in the books next year. Hoffman is the wrong player for us, but he's going nowhere.

I can't see space for another 5 plus million. Now the argument may be that from 4 to 5 million is not a lot of jump, but that's enough to package Byron with one year left.

Our weakest player is Byron at 3.5. It would be a nice upgrade to add Strome...but we also have to add a 3rd to move Byron out.

I suspect that Strome may have been Plan B if Dv wasn't available.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
5.25x4...is going to be a bit expensive. May well represent decent value, but Suzuki needs to be signed and Drouin will be still in the books next year. Hoffman is the wrong player for us, but he's going nowhere.

I can't see space for another 5 plus million. Now the argument may be that from 4 to 5 million is not a lot of jump, but that's enough to package Byron with one year left.

Our weakest player is Byron at 3.5. It would be a nice upgrade to add Strome...but we also have to add a 3rd to move Byron out.

I suspect that Strome may have been Plan B if Dv wasn't available.

fair enuf
but there is a cost to add and a cost to standing pat.

ideally you could handle this internally and we are happy with a late 1st

we are gonna go with best offer wherever it comes from

that said,
if you were willing to provide significant add
maybe we could help facilitate by taking a cap dump
now before everyone goes nuts,
after I have preached how NY needs to make moves w/cap in mind,
what I am referring to here is an instant juggling, nothing impacting even into short term.

Like for example.
You give us a 1st for Strome currently at 4.5
You gives us a 1st + for 2 yrs of Drouin at 5.5 who we do not want.
If we can retain and dump him with the cost defraying what we got from you,
great.
If not we can buy him out.
That is not smooth next season and possibly a bit of snafu next season,
but
it achieves the objective of getting value for Strome and not adding long term cap.

Sending us Drouin may not be an exact match given what we'd want for taking him off your hands, but something much cheaper is prob doable.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We're not getting a 1st for Strome unless it's the trade deadline and Strome is already on pace for another 60 point season with Panarin missing games.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Offer sheet Robert Thomas for $4M/1 but just make sure you have Suzuki under wraps because Army will retaliate. Blues would have to dump Sanford or another player plus a pick to clear space. Only have $2.3m available right now.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Jesus man. Listen to yourself. How about improving your team? Cause hey when you face the Jets this year, we're gonna attack you with more than one line of speed and skill. And you better be ready to match us. I don't think the Avs are that deep on forward, that Burakovsky gets knocked out of the top 6. Kadri is in his last year, getting someone with term, who is potentially a talent upgrade makes sense, especially with good young ELC level centres in the pipeline, unless you are trying to make every possible argument against it, for whatever reason. Especially when the very player you are arguing about being traded has been suspended 3 times in the 1st round of the playoffs. But the kind of guy who I think fits Montreal.

Anyways I don't care that much, to argue about this.
Drouin is negative value. Deeply. His contract is garbage. Keep it away from the Avs. You don’t make your team better by making it significantly worse.

Unless the Avs are unloading the also bad JT Compher contract on Montreal, no other way to swap bad players on bad contracts. hardly a ringing endorsement for either player.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
fair enuf
but there is a cost to add and a cost to standing pat.

ideally you could handle this internally and we are happy with a late 1st

we are gonna go with best offer wherever it comes from

that said,
if you were willing to provide significant add
maybe we could help facilitate by taking a cap dump
now before everyone goes nuts,
after I have preached how NY needs to make moves w/cap in mind,
what I am referring to here is an instant juggling, nothing impacting even into short term.

Like for example.
You give us a 1st for Strome currently at 4.5
You gives us a 1st + for 2 yrs of Drouin at 5.5 who we do not want.
If we can retain and dump him with the cost defraying what we got from you,
great.
If not we can buy him out.
That is not smooth next season and possibly a bit of snafu next season,
but
it achieves the objective of getting value for Strome and not adding long term cap.

Sending us Drouin may not be an exact match given what we'd want for taking him off your hands, but something much cheaper is prob doable.
Every keeps dumping on Drouin but in reality, he's a usefull plauer.

Ideally i preffer to move Byron. At 3.5, he was a value before covid....but now the team has moved to another level.

When i said late 1st, it overlaps with a high second. Statistically, 25 and 37 is all about drafting, not position.

The risk is that the Habs were not "lucky" as too many want to babble about. They may have another run and technically, with CC and Suzuki moving forward, they are better then last years team. So that late pick is REALLY late.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
3B: Drouin / Perreault or Paquette or Poehling / Armia
No matter who is center, it's an above average 4th line.

Just a comment on Mathieu Perreault because this idea of him as a center keeps coming up.

There was talk already when he was in Jets that due to his persistent wrist problems he doesn't like taking face-offs. He's defensively responsible and plays a center-like game, but he's best penned in as a winger.

Nothing wrong with good old Paquette holding the fort until Poehling is ready.

(Obviously it's not that clear-cut as that. You can have wingers handling the face-offs, and overall it's nowadays F1-F2-F3 rather than LW-C-RW anyway.

That said, I assume you too gave up on the "Drouin as center" idea. Great tools, questionable toolbox.)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just a comment on Mathieu Perreault because this idea of him as a center keeps coming up.

There was talk already when he was in Jets that due to his persistent wrist problems he doesn't like taking face-offs. He's defensively responsible and plays a center-like game, but he's best penned in as a winger.

Nothing wrong with good old Paquette holding the fort until Poehling is ready.

(Obviously it's not that clear-cut as that. You can have wingers handling the face-offs, and overall it's nowadays F1-F2-F3 rather than LW-C-RW anyway.

That said, I assume you too gave up on the "Drouin as center" idea. Great tools, questionable toolbox.)

I have various different possible line-ups and I've seen others with different ones too. I think we tinker with several options.

* Paquette could hold the fort. I agree there.

* Perreault has not played center in a while but reports say that he still can. I believe he had back issues and the Jets moved him to wing and it stayed. Can he play an effective center role years later? Not sure. He's probably there in case of injuries.

* Drouin at center? No idea if Ducharme is willing to go back to that idea. Personally, I'm willing to tinker with a few different variations and the Habs should in camp and pre-season. That's what it's for.

* Poehling is an interesting option if he is ready. I do feel he is coming into camp with a ton of energy and he will push to steal a spot.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I have various different possible line-ups and I've seen others with different ones too. I think we tinker with several options.

* Paquette could hold the fort. I agree there.

* Perreault has not played center in a while but reports say that he still can. I believe he had back issues and the Jets moved him to wing and it stayed. Can he play an effective center role years later? Not sure. He's probably there in case of injuries.

* Drouin at center? No idea if Ducharme is willing to go back to that idea. Personally, I'm willing to tinker with a few different variations and the Habs should in camp and pre-season. That's what it's for.

* Poehling is an interesting option if he is ready. I do feel he is coming into camp with a ton of energy and he will push to steal a spot.
Ah, maybe it was back issues instead with Perreault, memory fails me.

In an earlier post you seemed to entertain the idea of Drouin at center. Perhaps it's safe to say that ship has sailed, or sank, rather.

Certainly nothing wrong with Paquette/Poehling. The kiddo doesn't even need to steal the spot right away, I expect Ducharme wants to try to ease him in there as the season progresses. Good setup.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

In an earlier post you seemed to entertain the idea of Drouin at center. Perhaps it's safe to say that ship has sailed, or sank, rather.

Certainly nothing wrong with Paquette/Poehling. The kiddo doesn't even need to steal the spot right away, I expect Ducharme wants to try to ease him in there as the season progresses. Good setup.

I'm open to the idea of tinkering with what Drouin can do at center but not desperate for it. A lot of different combos can be tried in camp and preseason with this roster.

IMO, Paquette has the inside job at the last center spot. But we will see what happens in camp/preseason cause that where you tinker with it and you see who wants it more based on energy and performance.

Reactions: Stubu

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

MP hasn’t played centre for years due to back injuries and the extra stress it adds on his back. He can take the odd FO sure, maybe even play a game as a injury fill in…..but don’t count him as a centre at this stage he’s purely a winger due to his back.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014

A Jet fan. Yeah Perreault had back problems, said he didn’t like taking face offs if he didn’t have to. But still fills in when necessary. Haven’t heard anything for awhile yet though so not sure if it’s still bothering him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is negative value. Deeply. His contract is garbage. Keep it away from the Avs. You don’t make your team better by making it significantly worse.

Unless the Avs are unloading the also bad JT Compher contract on Montreal, no other way to swap bad players on bad contracts. hardly a ringing endorsement for either player.

We can't trust anything you say about the Habs. You thought we would be forced to trade a 1st, Guhle, and Poehling for Dvorak. And you are on record at saying you are a Habs hater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad