Who won the the PLD/Laine trade?

Who won the PLD/Laine trade?

• Total voters

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
For me this makes Winnipeg better today and Columbus gets the player with the higher ceiling, I'm not sure how they sort out center longterm but Laine is only 22 obviously we don't know how future contract negotiations go but if they make him happy they have ample time. I think this hurts CBJ positionally and may hurt the Jets down the line if Laine becomes the player he's shown the ability to be. That said WPG isn't hurting for skilled wingers even now with Ehlers and Connor so it's probably a risk worth taking, Schief/Connor/Ehlers/PLD is a great balanced top 4 forwards for years to come(obviously Wheeler too but thinking longer term).

Overall it's a pretty good trade, slight win to CBJ for me mostly because I thought they were going to get fleeced for PLD. But despite all the hot takes I think it looks pretty good for both teams.

Voted CBJ.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Shouldn't the players in this trade play even a single game before anyone can even think about who won the trade?

There's 2 ways to evaluate a trade

1) at the moment it is made

2) with the benefit of hindsight down the road (you can evaluate, then re-evaluate again and again)

Personally I don't really see a trade as a "Win/Loss" but usually more like teams deal from a position of strenght to fill a position of need. That's what they always say anyway, rather than try to "win trades". Yes there is a gambling aspect for GMs as they hope the part they acquire will gain more value than the part they traded away.

The actual trade is a bit different though, it involves 3 players that wanted out

So for me :

1) Columbus for now.

2) Could see the Jets win this down the road, if it makes their team better and if they struck gold with that 3rd rounder!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
*Looks at username and avatar*
Yeah, exactly. I should know from experience :laugh:

Caps couldn’t get over the hump until they filled their center issues with Kuzy who played at a Conn Smythe level and Eller who was a 2/3C playing at the top of his game centering the third line. Beagle was also terrific.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Depends on how you look at it. Columbus wins in value, but Winnipeg is a more balanced team because of it.

The Jackets have successfully replaced Panarin, but now need to replace PLD. It's more of a shifting of needs, but this is about as good as anyone imagined they could have done. Nice for both imo.

If Texier turns out to be a legit center, this swings heavily in favor of the Jackets.

I voted even.

Reactions: BHD

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Definitely like it better for Winnipeg. Have no idea how we'll be able to tell who "won" for a long time yet.

Reactions: BHD

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Seems like I'm in the minority but I'm taking the team that just picked up a 22-year old 1C. It's much harder to build a winner when your best forwards are not centers. Columbus now has Texier and Domi as their top two centers which to me looks suboptimal.
A lot of people assume he is a #1C; I disagree. He made the step in his playoff appearances and shows flashes of it during the regular seasons. But hasn't really committed to it. Even when he was lined up with Panarin. Hope he just needs a change in scenery. I would call him #1 to #3C right now, but he will definitely be top 6 for sure.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Both these guys have come off as lollies to me recently. Laine's last game, however he fought and scored and showed a lot of heart. PLD is my pick for Lolly of the year. Whoever stays past their contract wins. I think PLD is a better fit in WPG, than Laine in CBJ, for what it's worth.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Laine was trending toward NHL superstar status a couple of years ago. If he comes even remotely close to the potential that he displayed, and he stays in Columbus more or less injury free, they should come out ahead in the trade. I see PLD as a solid-to-very good pick up, but not necessarily a game changing player with a high upside.

Reactions: La Bamba

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think Winnipeg will see better improvements for their team. Defense is a still a tire fire but their top 6 is set now.

Ehlers, Connor, and Wheeler are all wingers. Ya Laine is great but Scheifele/Dubois is great center depth and the team will be better balanced.

Meanwhile Laine was complaining about center depth on Winnipeg and he's now going to Columbus with questionable center depth.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
PLD is scoring at a higher rate 5v5 over the last 2 years than Laine
That is a potent 1-2 punch in winnipeg if they can fix that trash defensive core.
Laine on the PP is almost unfair though. should be interesting to see

18-19
PLD = 1.01
Laine = 0.73
19/20
PLD= 0.91
Laine= 0.87

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Shouldn't the players in this trade play even a single game before anyone can even think about who won the trade?

Laine is 9rh in goals scoring last 5 seasons. They've played more than enough games lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad