• Kings fan saying Los Angeles

• Leafs fan saying Toronto

• Neutral fan saying even

• Kings/Leafs fan saying even

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Standard three quarters for a dollar trade. These generally favour the team getting the dollar, but who knows how it plays out.

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
#2 dman (least on the Leafs) for a solid prospect in Grundstrom, bit of a crapshoot in Durzi, and a late 1st.

I like this trade for both teams.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty even overall.

From a value perspective, its a nice coup for LA. You get a late 1st and a likely middle-six goal scorer in Grundstrom (Durzi is an afterthought IMO) as you move in to your rebuild.

When you consider the context of this trade from Toronto's POV, its hard not to love it. Dubas acquires a physical top2/3 two-way defender who will compliment Rielly perfectly, and do so without giving up a single roster player or top 3 prospect....

This move also comes a month in advance of the TDL and gives Muzzin more time to acclimate. That's valuable in itself considering the pairings will now be shuffled and guys who were previously in over their heads (e.g. Hainsey, Zaitsev, etc.) will be bumped down in to move suitable roles. This is the exact mould of player the Leafs need going against a team like Tampa/Boston in the playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The last time the Leafs traded a first round pick it turned out to be Sam Steel. I think before that is was Seguin and Hamilton.

The Leafs have been getting burned trading the first round pick, like the Oilers (Barzal)
You do remember that the Sam Steel selection was in the same draft Toronto selected Auston Matthews 1st overall. Plus that 1st round pick used to select Steel originally was Pittsburgh's and Toronto got it in the Phil Kessel trade and turned it into Frederik Andersen. So that's one trade where Toronto did not get burned for trading away a 1st round pick, especially one that was the 30th overall section.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think it is pretty even value-wise.

My only concern is that Toronto wasted assets on the wrong target: a LHD instead of a RHD.

They can still trade for one though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Hfboards loves our b level prospects, they must love our core and a-level prospects even more.

Hahhah
Our B and C prospects are all going to play like McDavid and Lidstorm while always signing team friendly 2mil/yr contract with any teams but the Leafs.
While even if the whole Team Canada plays for the Leafs, they will all be overpaid, already reached their peak, overrated and whatever.

Reactions: TopCheese

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Win-win. Leafs get a top pairing dman who will help them out big time this year and next with a reasonable chance of re-signing and the Kings get a really good prospect in Grunny, a late first, and another prospect with potential in Durzi.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Leafs fan saying even.

Leafs got something they need to help now. Kings got something they need to help later.

Win/win imo.

Pretty much.

LA has been through the other end of this to some degree before recently-ish with Richards for Schenn-Simmonds-Pick.

I thought the consensus was win-win, but at worst LA can't lose that trade since they won a Cup. I'd say the same thing here for TO if they were to win a Cup. Yet for LA, Muzzin doesn't help their inevitable rebuild in any way, so getting three young lottery-ticket assets is a jump start for the future, that's also a win. I mean, even if all three were to bust, Muzzin isn't helping 2024-2025 LA any more than those 3 are...

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Grundstrom is a good prospect, Kings got a beauty with him. Sucks to lose him but Muzzin is a legit top 4 defensemen, and allows Hainsey to go down to the third pair.

This deals a win-win, both teams got some good pieces

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Leafs fan, even.

Leafs get a guy with cup experience who instantly becomes their second best D, and is signed for another year.

Kings get a 1st and two 'B' prospects for their rebuild.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I voted LA but it's close. There's a premium paid on solid defencemen. Especially those with cup rings.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Looks about even to me. I'm not crazy about Muzzin. I would have preferred a natural right side defender, and maybe a tad younger. I'm also not sure how he'll fit in to Toronto's defensive "system" and their love of the hail mary pass. But he's a smart player with a bit of sandpaper to his game. He can skate, he can move the puck. Not a bad pickup.

I don't mind losing what the Leafs gave up. Grundstrom and Durzi are fine prospects but Toronto holds on to Liljegren and Sandin so that's nice. LA restocks the cupboards a bit.

Decent trade all around I suppose.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
In the short term, Toronto almost surely.

In the long term, to be determined.

We have to wait and see what the prospects and pick turns into for LA.

And we also have to wait and see how Muzzin does in Toronto, how much he helps them this season and next. As well as whether or not he sticks around after next season.

IMo we will better be able to judge this trade in 2-3 years, as is almost always the case with futures based trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad