Who wins the Rocket this year? Ovechkin or the field

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
seriously. he finished 45th in goal-scoring this past year.
there's like 6-7 guys I'd take over Laine

Laine is much better goal scorer than a 30g season. That was probably his worst season that he will ever have goal scoring wise. Didnt he score 18 In 1 month? Pretty sure he is the only active player to do that, season before he also had similar streak, I think he had 17 In 1 month back then.

Once he finds consistency he will easily have 50g seasons, peak Laine is going to be next 60 goal scorer

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Laine is much better goal scorer than a 30g season. That was probably his worst season that he will ever have goal scoring wise. Didnt he score 18 In 1 month? Pretty sure he is the only active player to do that, season before he also had similar streak, I think he had 17 In 1 month back then.

Once he finds consistency he will easily have 50g seasons, peak Laine is going to be next 60 goal scorer
he's shown so far to be extremely (and I mean extremely) streaky. he'll look like the GOAT goal-scorer for a month, and then one of the worst.

we'll just have to see

razor8

Nov 28, 2017

You think it's good to be extremely streaky?

Yeah, he did score 18 in november, but get his, the rest of the season he scored a total of 12 goals. 12 goals in about 5 months. That's just f***ing great, I'm sure the Winnipeg office is creaming their pants right about now. :naughty:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Ovechkin has 10 seasons of 46 goals or more (not to mention his 32 in 48 in the strike-shortened 2012-13)

There's all of 9 other active players with at least one 46 goal season:
Stamkos (2x)
Kovalchuk (2x)
Crosby (1x)
Perry (1x)
Draisaitl (1x)
Malkin (2x)
Tavares (1x)
Carter (1x)
Kane (1x)

The "Field" hasn't proven diddly-squat.
Draisaitl is the first 50 goal scorer since 2012 not named Ovechkin

It's truly amazing how head-and-shoulders above everyone OV is
Of course time will catch up sometime, but no signs yet

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
You think it's good to be extremely streaky?

Yeah, he did score 18 in november, but get his, the rest of the season he scored a total of 12 goals. 12 goals in about 5 months. That's just ****ing great, I'm sure the Winnipeg office is creaming their pants right about now. :naughty:

That shows that there is insane potential, imagine If he has similar streak and rest of the season even like 50% of month like that.

Before entering NHL, Laine was being marketed exactly as the player he has been. I think his potential is just too good for him to be only a 30g scorer.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
That shows that there is insane potential, imagine If he has similar streak and rest of the season even like 50% of month like that.

Before entering NHL, Laine was being marketed exactly as the player he has been. I think his potential is just too good for him to be only a 30g scorer.

He's not a 30g scorer. He scored 44.

Let's take another Winnipegger Selänne. He scored the most goals and points in his first season. Maybe Laine is Selänne #2?

Maybe Laine never scores more than 44 goals and 70 points? You never know. :D

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
He's not a 30g scorer. He scored 44.

Let's take another Winnipegger Selänne. He scored the most goals and points in his first season. Maybe Laine is Selänne #2?

Maybe Laine never scores more than 44 goals and 70 points? You never know. :D

He is also a 30g scorer, but what I mean was when someone said that hed take 6-7 players over him to score more next season.. Clearly implying that In his mind Laine is not a 40g guy even tho he has done that

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
alex-ovechkin-island.jpg

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
All but a couple of the players mentioned as contenders have the same problem. Their next 50 goal season will be their first. So far I see a bunch of players that had career seasons while Ovi just had his 8th 50 + season.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
"The field is the logical choice."
"Ovi isn't getting younger."
"______ is younger and gifted and generational and can easily surpass Ovi this season."

All the above may be entirely true.
I still pick Ovi. :cool:

Reactions: nothingbeatshockey

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I'm guessing If Matthew's stays healthy he has it
In my opinion he likely can challenge if healthy a full season.

The one thing which makes me uncertain is that matthews historically scores at insane paces when he has recently "rested" ie start of the season or when coming back from injuries. Now this doesnt mean he will keep that trend thats not what im saying but historically this seems to be the case as he tends to slow down when he plays many games without interruption.

I would love to see what numbers he can put up in a full season.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I’m not gonna quote every reply to my post but I’m gonna give Laine the benefit of the doubt for last season yes I know he played like shit.

And he still scored 30.

Next year I think he is gonna pot at least 40, there is lot’s of guys with 50 goal potential these days but Laine’s shooting ability is off the charts, one bad season isn’t going to change that and he is still in the very veginning of his career, he is only going to get better.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
In my opinion he likely can challenge if healthy a full season.

The one thing which makes me uncertain is that matthews historically scores at insane paces when he has recently "rested" ie start of the season or when coming back from injuries.

That's not uncommon. Hockey is a grind and a marathon. Skipping the first 13 miles has some advantages relative to the players who are piling up nagging injuries.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I remember when he scored 33 in 2017, he was done according to most, the decline was beginning. Two Rockets later here we sit asking the same question.

One of these seasons, heck maybe it's this upcoming one, everyone who says the decline is coming will be correct and say "see I told you".

For the record if Matthews plays the entire season I can see him winning it.
That's my bet if I had to choose someone from the field. Better pp n willy ft n injury free I can see it happen but still gonna be a battle to do so. OV is just not right when it comes to goal scoring dudes cheat mode. Auston really needs to use the one timer more n score more from rushes imo to be fully optimal. Two weapons that I believe can put him at the top of goal scoring.

Reactions: Sam Spade

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
As a Leafs fan, I gotta say, you sound like you think it's locked up. "Gotta think"???

he stands a shot, I'd say, but so do 4 or 5 other guys.
If I was to make a bet yeah I would say it AM too if I couldn't choose OV. Not locked up but he is as close as they come to winning it, just needs to be injury free n pp time

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have only 2 candidates: Leon Draisaitl & Alex DeBrincat.

- it would be foolish to believe Leon wouldn't repeat, or not improve for that matter
its not like his season was a fluke or anything, he has worked hard to get to the point where he is.
Also, Leon's goal total wont effect much if he plays or doesn't play a lot with McDavid,
who thinks that, didn't watch Draisaitl play last season

- Alex scored 41 goals as a 20-21 year old sophomore, it would be also foolish to believe he is any near
his peak, ceiling, faaaaaar from it, or that his season was a fluke, he will improve each season for many many years.
Alex is one year older, stronger and more experienced, while still learning/improving, Alex has finally learned how to
play in the NHL, only upwards from this moment on

Alex DeBrincat #1 favorite, Leon Draisaitl #2 favorite

You mean Draisaitl who shot at the incredibly sustainable 21.6% last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad