Who will win the Calder this season?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
EP with a goal and an assist so far tonight, scoring an ugly goal to tie the game with 2 minutes left, 32 points and 16 goals

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't see how since he's so far behind in points, goals etc. Unless Pettersson misses a whole bunch of games. Which leads me to the next point: The Calder is definitely Pettersson's to lose at this point. The youngster has been absolutely insane and judging by eye test, it's not a fluke. Unless he goes down on a serious injury, I absolutely expect him to finish the season as a PPG player and snatching the Calder with no one even close.

On top of that, I can see a case for both Heiskanen and Dahlin being bigger threats to Pettersson than Tkachuk, though I fully expect both of 'em not to finish anywhere close to him for it be a real competition.

Look at the date of the post.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Pretty quiet game from petterson .. and the whole team but great players find a way to get on the board .. made a good pass for a second assist and was in the right spot at the right time to get a puck off his skate.

Great players just find a way.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I still can’t believe the guy has 32 points after 27 games

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the season continues as is, are we thinking:

1. Pettersson
2. Dahlin
3. Heiskanen/Tkachuk

?

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Anything can happen over the course of the season, lots of games left.

I think one of the D will make this a tight race, both Dahlin and Heiskanen are absolutely sick. They gotta put up points tho, the Calder is a numbers game.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Myers won with 48 points in his rookie year.

Who do you give the Calder to if Dahlin puts up fifty as 18 year old?

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Myers won with 48 points in his rookie year.

Who do you give the Calder to if Dahlin puts up fifty as 18 year old?

That depends - what do you project for Pettersson's totals? Given his current pace, 70 points seems both conservative and probable, so let's go with that for now.

There have been four times in NHL history that the Calder was won by a defender or goaltender in a season during which a rookie forward has posted 70 or more points: '94 (Brodeur over Renberg with 82 points), '91 (Belfour over Fedorov with 79 points), '90 (Tom Barrasso over Steve Yzerman with 87 points), and '80 (Ray Bourque (65) over Foligno with 71 points).

Even in your Myers example, Matt Duchene only put up 55 to be named the other finalist alongside Jimmy Howard. In Aaron Ekblad's year, he came closest to besting two legit top-line forwards, as both Gaudreau and Stone finished with 64points .

So, in summation, assuming Pettersson doesn't completely fall off pace, I would say it's a near mortal lock that the voters go his way unless Dahlin gets within 10 points of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad