Speculation: Who will replace Rimer in the booth?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
FWIW, I was driving and listening to pregame of Game 1 tonight on Sirius. They were interviewing Bettman and while he pretty much gave a non answer to the question. They question was posted on the Diamond Sports/Bally Sports network issue. I was not aware of this but the final court ruling on this is due in late July. If Bally Sports shuts dow due to that, teams will have a short time to figure it out.

I think teams do have a plan B but Bettman wasn't saying anything. They'd be stupid not to be negotiating options at this point. I would guess we don't have a new TV guy named until after that happens.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
FWIW, I was driving and listening to pregame of Game 1 tonight on Sirius. They were interviewing Bettman and while he pretty much gave a non answer to the question. They question was posted on the Diamond Sports/Bally Sports network issue. I was not aware of this but the final court ruling on this is due in late July. If Bally Sports shuts dow due to that, teams will have a short time to figure it out.

I think teams do have a plan B but Bettman wasn't saying anything. They'd be stupid not to be negotiating options at this point. I would guess we don't have a new TV guy named until after that happens.
What I don't understand is that I thought Amazon bought into Diamond Sports giving them the lifeline to honor their contracts with teams and keep those broadcasting assets into the future. In addition I heard the new naming rights are likely to be FanDuel.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What I don't understand is that I thought Amazon bought into Diamond Sports giving them the lifeline to honor their contracts with teams and keep those broadcasting assets into the future. In addition I heard the new naming rights are likely to be FanDuel.
This talks about it a bit. Maybe the Amazon lifeline helps but it sounds like they still have not established a formal reorganization plan that need to be approved by the court. I think Amazon just bought in a minority stake in order to be able to soak up the broadcast rights easier if Diamond Sports goes belly up.

It is my understanding that the NHL teams were free to negotiate new deals this summer once the league year ends as well. I feel like the odds are the CBJ find a new home but what that home is will be unclear. I just hope it is easily accessbile and ends up being the same service for Reds/Guardians games too.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Blue Jackets are looking for a TV play-by-play voice to replace Jeff Rimer, who retired after the season. Three candidates have emerged, per industry sources: Bob McElligott, the Blue Jackets’ current radio voice; Steve Mears, currently the Pittsburgh Penguins’ radio voice; and Alan Fuehring, who covers the New York Islanders for Madison Square Garden network and is radio play-by-play voice of AHL Bridgeport, the Islanders’ top minor-league affiliate.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Fuehring is my choice.. Bob is perfect for the radio and should stay there..

and f*** Pittsburgh so no thank you.

Also

Pens Radio Booth: Reverse Jinx | Pittsburgh Penguins

Very meh. Id take Bob over him, no real excitement in his voice almost has that fake excited feel to it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'd like to roll back the clock 40 years and hire Sam Rosen and JD.

I've been watching 70's and 80's hockey highlights recently and they were amazing
I grew up in NY listening to Sam and JD, they were fantastic. I was spoiled by them for sure! Two guys at the peak of their profession with lots of chemistry.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I have heard some posters say no to BobbyMac as the TV Play By Play announcer because they don't like his cliches and schtick. There were also quite a few people in The Athletic comments say the same thing.

Can anyone here find a link to one of the games over the last couple years when BobbyMac filled in for Rims on the TV broadcast (and I don't mean the simulcast when he filled both roles during a few games during the pandemic).

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I have heard some posters say no to BobbyMac as the TV Play By Play announcer because they don't like his cliches and schtick. There were also quite a few people in The Athletic comments say the same thing.

Can anyone here find a link to one of the games over the last couple years when BobbyMac filled in for Rims on the TV broadcast (and I don't mean the simulcast when he filled both roles during a few games during the pandemic).
I don’t have as much of an issue with McElligott as others here, frankly anything would be an improvement on Rimer at this point. That said, Fuehring would be some cool “new blood” so to speak.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don’t have as much of an issue with McElligott as others here, frankly anything would be an improvement on Rimer at this point.
Counterpoint: If McElligott gets the job and he continues with those damned cliches, I might have to stop watching altogether. I could put up with Rimer's foibles - when necessary I could tune him out - but I have less than zero available tolerance for McElligott's forced fakery garbage.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I like Bob. Seems like a good dude and he does a lot for the team. And I don’t mean this as an insult or a slap in the face, but I just think the team needs a new voice for the team. And I feel bad in saying that because Bob has cut his teeth here and he has waited his turn, but idk.

The penguins guy I know has done world juniors games before he was the PBP voice, but he’s kinda bland. Idk. He’s not awful. But I think I like Isles guy the best.

I’ll learn the names when I have to

Reactions: Doggy and CBJx614

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
This by far is the lowest priority on the list of items to be solved by the CBJ before training camp. Better items to talk about before this.

1. Possible trades (Laine, 4OV Pick - joking, Bean, Boqvist, Glutton of Wings) all before or during draft.
2. Draft
3. Coach (structured not Galant)
4. Free Agents (upgrades or filling holes)
5. Contracts
6. Assistant Coaches (Replace McCarthy - please)
7. Front Office personnel retention?
8. Training Staff retention
9. Scouts and scouting staff retention
10. Bally’s contract
11. Outdoor Game
12. Play by Play Announcer

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This by far is the lowest priority on the list of items to be solved by the CBJ before training camp. Better items to talk about before this.

1. Possible trades (Laine, 4OV Pick - joking, Bean, Boqvist, Glutton of Wings) all before or during draft.
2. Draft
3. Coach (structured not Galant)
4. Free Agents (upgrades or filling holes)
5. Contracts
6. Assistant Coaches (Replace McCarthy - please)
7. Front Office personnel retention?
8. Training Staff retention
9. Scouts and scouting staff retention
10. Bally’s contract
11. Outdoor Game
12. Play by Play Announcer
The good news is that there is an entirely independent group of people deciding the moves you stated above (the last 3, actually) and the ones who are picking the PBP announcer.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The good news is that there is an entirely independent group of people deciding the moves you stated above (the last 3, actually) and the ones who are picking the PBP announcer.
PBP won’t be rectified until bankruptcy and court proceedings later this summer if memory serves me correctly.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Counterpoint: If McElligott gets the job and he continues with those damned cliches, I might have to stop watching altogether. I could put up with Rimer's foibles - when necessary I could tune him out - but I have less than zero available tolerance for McElligott's forced fakery garbage.
I’m not sure why but I don’t mind the cliches that much. Maybe it’s because I grew up listening to him? Not sure. But I always preferred him to Rimer.

I watch 95% of games without sound on my phone anyways though, so I don’t really have much of a horse in the race either way.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I feel the same way about the Monsters PBP guy...I'd have to stop watching the CBJ broadcasts (and I know you are a fan of his). Obviously my issue is not cliches with him but I find his voice grinding on my ears and brain like fingernails on a chalkboard. Of course I didn't like Rick Jenerette either and he's a legend in Buffalo.

Again, this is why I asked if anyone can find a link to a TV broadcast BobbyMac did. I remember watching that game he handled and have no memory of any of the cliches you dislike so much. I just think he uses them for radio but doesn't need them for television.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I feel the same way about the Monsters PBP guy...I'd have to stop watching the CBJ broadcasts (and I know you are a fan of his). Obviously my issue is not cliches with him but I find his voice grinding on my ears and brain like fingernails on a chalkboard. Of course I didn't like Rick Jenerette either and he's a legend in Buffalo.

Again, this is why I asked if anyone can find a link to a TV broadcast BobbyMac did. I remember watching that game he handled and have no memory of any of the cliches you dislike so much. I just think he uses them for radio but doesn't need them for television.
I'll grant that probably 80-90% of why I like Tony Brown is because his voice, to my ear, sounds superficially similar to that of George Matthews and so I'm giving him far more credit than he deserves.

If McElligott dispenses with the forced cliches, he'd not only be listenable, he'd be pretty damn awesome. But that one thing alone just so completely kills it for me. It's got all the same "how do you do, fellow kids fans" energy as a 60-year-old trying to use current high school slang or similar. Total record scratch moment. Forced bad acting, like he knows he's supposed to sound excited and witty, and seriously can't pull it off, yet somehow thinks he does.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What?!?!? it's not Waddell's fault if I have to listen to Bob and his weird goal calls on TV?:sarcasm:

PBP won’t be rectified until bankruptcy and court proceedings later this summer if memory serves me correctly.
I believe that hearing is late July.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I've got four words for ya: prepare to be disappointed! ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Almost as if an organization of people can accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously, given their assigned responsibilities.

If I had a quarter for every time a pro sports team's social media post about guys' haircuts or suits or Volunteer Month or some such garnered the "why don't you focus on winning games" comment, I could probably retire from moderating.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I will say this, comparing anyone's work on the radio to their potential TV work is difficult. Describing hockey on the radio where the viewer doesn't see the action and there is no analyst vs describing the action on TV while the viewer is actually seeing the play unfold and having an analyst to work with are two different skills. Matthews was great on the radio, not sure how well he would have translated to TV.

Listening to BobbyMac, Tony Brown or Matthews on the radio the pace sounds frenetic. But listen to some of the best TV play by play announcers and the pace is slowed way down plus being able to cue your analyst to get them engaged in the broadcast.

Reactions: MAHJ71

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I don’t enjoy any announcers, so I watch all sports with the sound off and music playing. I do miss the sounds of the games, but I’ve watched sports all my life and have no trouble following the action. If I need more CBJ commentary during a game, I can always come here!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad