Who will have the better year? Chychrun or Chabot?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you think will have the better season this year?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I still can't understand why Ott got rid of Chychrun with that price
Basic team building. The ridiculous thing was trading for him… trading him away was correcting a mistake
In a vacuum, I think so.

Doesn’t necessarily mean he will have the better season.

Both guys are injury prone but surprisingly Jakob played a full season last year.
OP said assume they play the same amount of games

Chychrun could score more, but there is no chance he outperforms Chabot on a night to night basis

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Although Chychrun has some bat-sh)t crazy beliefs on clothing and testosterone

I don’t think he is as bad as some people have made him out to be hockey wise.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chabot has more and better tools and has a toolbox. Chychrun has physical gifts but lacks hockey iq.

Chabot skates slower, shoots softer, stick handles around the same.

Physical play wise, at best for Chabot you could say they are even. Both Chabot and Chychrun can be a bit of a spectator at times as well in terms of lacking intensity and both guys are gaffe-prone during these periods of play.

The toolbox and hockey IQ is the real difference. Chychrun can make some very bizarre on-ice decisions. He'll try some very ill-advised moves at the worst possible times in the worst possible areas of the ice.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I still can't understand why Ott got rid of Chychrun with that price
Because he's not that good. Coyotes fans knew this. Pierre Dorion didn't.

Offensively, when he is "on", Chych is a good player. He is never going to be a good defensive player. He's soft on the puck, spends a lot of time watching and has poor decision making.

The more you look at the cup contenders in this league you understand why they are where they are. Guys like Chychrun are probably not going to be in the top 4 d of a serious contender. You need hard, competitive, at least average in their own zone defenders.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Chabot skates slower, shoots softer, stick handles around the same.

Physical play wise, at best for Chabot you could say they are even. Both Chabot and Chychrun can be a bit of a spectator at times as well in terms of lacking intensity and both guys are gaffe-prone during these periods of play.

The toolbox and hockey IQ is the real difference. Chychrun can make some very bizarre on-ice decisions. He'll try some very ill-advised moves at the worst possible times in the worst possible areas of the ice.

Did you just say Chabot skates slower than chychrun?

Surely that is a typo as you know your sens...

Chabots biggest strength is his ability to skate up and down the ice quickly and effortlessly. Not as good, but similar to a Niedermayer...or let's say Bouwmeester.

Chychruns least effective physical tool is his ability to skate and get up and down the ice. He's lumbering in a sense. Once he's in the offensive zone he's got a good shot and all, but he struggles to get up and down the ice at times... especially compared to Chabot. More similar to a Heatley playing on D.

I'm going to chalk it off as a typo on your part.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did you just say Chabot skates slower than chychrun?

Surely that is a typo as you know your sens...

Chabots biggest strength is his ability to skate up and down the ice quickly and effortlessly.

Chychruns least effective physical tool is his ability to skate and get up and down the ice. He's lumbering in a sense. Once he's in the offensive zone he's got a good shot and all, but he struggles to get up and down the ice at times... especially compared to Chabot.

I'm going to chalk it off as a typo on your part.

He's capable of skating faster but most of the time, Chabot seemingly skates at one speed.

I've seen a few experts point that out - since his icetime rocketed up to among the league leaders for season after season, he seemingly paces himself over the entire game.

I'm pretty sure Methot identified this as an issue but I can't find the tweet.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ignore their contracts and assume they will both play the same number of games.
Simply vote for who you think will have the better season this year.
This is one thing for sure that will not happen haha.

Although Chychrun has some bat-sh)t crazy beliefs on clothing and testosterone

I don’t think he is as bad as some people have made him out to be hockey wise.
Then you probably dont watch him consistently. The highlites are nice he will play well for spirts but this guy mails it in the moment it gets hard or he thinks he could get hurt or has a minor injury. Softest 6'2 220 pound player I have ever watched. He does not initiate contact and rarely wins one on one battles he could destroy other players in.

He has all the tools to be a superstar in this league but its as simple as him not being tough mentally at all. I dunno if he can overcome this but a friend who was in the organization with Arizona explained to me how this would go in Ottawa and it was to a T. He came in on fire showed tons of promise then the issues start popping up. I hope for his sake he can figure it out but man he was frustrating to watch the last 40 games of the season last year.

As for Chabot, you see glimpses of what we hoped he would be at times but as Nyquil mentioned he seems to have one speed. I know he has had a wrist injury he inexplicably didnt take care of the last two seasons but that doesnt really effect his biggest issue which is playing with urgency. Very talented effortless player that takes the word effortless too far some games. His hockey IQ is much higher than Chychrun his shots not close he doyesnt have the same level raw physical gifts but he can handle the puck and when he is at his best appears to float on the ice but in a good way where he is just everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur and NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's capable of skating faster but most of the time, Chabot seemingly skates at one speed.

I've seen a few experts point that out - since his icetime rocketed up to among the league leaders for season after season, he seemingly paces himself over the entire game.

I'm pretty sure Methot identified this as an issue but I can't find the tweet.

But surely in any type of skating competition, Chabot wins over chychrun 10 times out of 10...be it straight line speed, a lap around the rink, or a in and out cone competition...

Pacing himself is a different argument as I would argue the slower chychrun would look even slower pacing himself for 28 minutes a night regularly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But surely in any type of skating competition, Chabot wins over chychrun 10 times out of 10...be it straight line speed, a lap around the rink, or a in and out cone competition...

Pacing himself is a different argument as I would argue the slower chychrun would look even slower pacing himself for 28 minutes a night regularly.

It's one of my major criticisms of Chabot as his game has developed over the past few years, that's all.

For all of his skating skill, he's putting around out there a lot.

Who cares how fast he can skate if he doesn't?

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's one of my major criticisms of Chabot as his game has developed over the past few years, that's all.

For all of his skating skill, he's putting around out there a lot.

Who cares how fast he can skate if he doesn't?

Well you were comparing him to chychrun who also doesn't move around much out there and putting around a lot.

So I just thought it was strange to rank the guy who can't and doesn't skate fast as a better skater than the one who can but doesn't skate fast.

One can, and one can't. The one who can, is the better skater... It's that simple.

Not saying your assessment of chabots game the last few years is wrong. It's your ranking of chychrun vs Chabot that is wrong. That's it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So I just thought it was strange to rank the guy who can't and doesn't skate fast as a better skater than the one who can but doesn't skate fast.

One can, and one can't. The one who can, is the better skater... It's that simple.

Not saying your assessment of chabots game the last few years is wrong. It's your ranking of chychrun vs Chabot that is wrong. That's it.

As I said, I don't care how well you CAN skate if you don't.

Chabot is the bigger disappointment in that area because he has more potential that remains unused.

It's also why I'm not big on "pace" arguments because you aren't helping your team when you're injured and sitting in the press box.

If you want to say that Chabot is the better skater but the actual outcome on the ice is a negligible difference I'm fine with that.

Reactions: Sting

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Chabot is the bigger disappointment in that area because he has more potential that remains unused.

It's also why I'm not big on "pace" arguments because you aren't helping your team when you're injured and sitting in the press box.

If you want to say that Chabot is the better skater but the actual outcome on the ice is a negligible difference I'm fine with that.
The most frustrating aspect of Chabot as a player is he has all the physical attributes to completely take over a game. I have been left questioning what happened to those attributes for a few years now.

I'm convinced it's psychological more than anything.

Reactions: NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Ok, I'll ignore potential abilities. I'll just use results.

I still have Chabot>chychrun and it's not even close.

Yes, Chabot paces himself. Yes, Chabot gets caught watching the play. Yes Chabot gets walked.

But I saw chychrun standing around and getting walked even more than Chabot last year. Maybe it's because chychrun played more, I admit, however I'm still fairly confident chychrun got walked more on a game by game basis. So skating ability for defense, I would still rank Chabot over chychrun as he got caught flat footed more than Chabot. But let's say I grant you it being a wash.

Then we have to look at skating ability to create offense. I can show you plenty of highlights of Chabot using his superior skating to either create offense, bring the puck up ice, or finish the play.

With chychrun, I have no examples of this, as he doesn't have superior skating ability. All of his offensive highlights will come from mostly having a wicked shot, or making a creative pass. It's never from him speeding around anyone.

Go look at game day threads. What you say about Chabot pacing himself is true, however, he still has glimpses of great skating. Plenty of times, posters said things like "see, this is what Chabot is capable. He can skate really well. Why doesn't he do this every game?" Which shows you're right that he's pacing himself, but also shows I'm right that he still occasionally shows ability to skate around the other team. Chychrun, however, never does this because he does not possess that ability.

So Chabot who occasionally skates great is still infinitely better than chychrun who can't skate great.

So even if you give their defensive skating a wash, I don't know how anyone can give their offensive skating a wash, or a win to chychrun. Chychrun simply can't do some of the stuff Chabot does when it comes to skating. Chabot had a few highlight reel goals the last year or two just walking in from the point with speed to get into a scoring position before the opposition can block it off. Chychrun doesn't. He just blasts it through the goalie.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
one of them is paid and one of them is going into a contract year which will set him up for the next 4-7 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad