Who will have more points next year: Connor Bedard or Jack Hughes?

Who will have more points next year: Connor Bedard or Jack Hughes?

• Bedard

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 155 80.7%
  • Cant decide

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Should be Hughes by a landslide, he's better right now and has a much better supporting cast. Probably a year too early to think about this imo

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Curious if people have bedard in the matthews tier rather than the Crosby tier of player now

When the Blackhawks drafted Bedard, I expected him to have a development curve similar to Jack Hughes.

He’s about 40 points per season ahead of that curve so far.

He’s still Crosby-tier, he’s just got a different strengths and weaknesses profile. Way better shot, but smaller and hit edge-work isn't as good.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
He obviously has the talent and is only 22, but thats pretty optimistic considering Hughes has never paced for higher than 104 points.

His pace last season up to and including the Jan 5 injury game was 115 (45 in 32).

His pace obviously slowed after he was barely healthy enough to return but operating far below 100%. But his early pace wasn’t just a beneficiary of a small sample size - it was the pace he would have sustained if not for injury.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Curious if people have bedard in the matthews tier rather than the Crosby tier of player/prospect now
My gut feeling is that he will fall in between....mainly because I think Bedard will have a better playoff resume than AM.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I'll go with Hughes for next season. Bedard may end up better, but I don't think it'll be horrible if he ends up in Hughes' tier.

Hughes should have some 100 point seasons if he's healthy. People hyped the hell out of Tavares as well and he was basically a Hughes-tier player in his prime himself. He wasn't quite as good as prime MacKinnon, let alone McDavid.
Hughes will average 100 a season if hes healthy; not a few 100 seasons

He scored 99 at 20 years old

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
They both look so frail on the ice, it comes down to availability. I consulted the magic 8-ball, read some tea leaves, and cast some runes. Results were mixed, so i said “f*** the devils anyway” and voted bedard.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Curious if people have bedard in the matthews tier rather than the Crosby tier of player/prospect now
This next season will give us all a better idea. He has some NHL talent to play with now even if it's just top-9 level guys. The Hawks didn't have much of anything to work with last season, they were painful to watch even with Connor out there. So many guys not handling his passes or getting open. Tremendous lack of talent and offensive awareness last season so hopefully that all changes and we see a huge year out of Bedard.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Hughes stays healthy it's probably him, but in the 2nd half of this season I think Bedard will start closing in on best non McDavid player territory

Reactions: Video Nasty

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
If Hughes stays healthy it's probably him, but in the 2nd half of this season I think Bedard will start closing in on best non McDavid player territory
I think we can wait until he turns 21 to start claiming things like that; there are a lot of very high end players right now

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
When the Blackhawks drafted Bedard, I expected him to have a development curve similar to Jack Hughes.

He’s about 40 points per season ahead of that curve so far.

He’s still Crosby-tier, he’s just got a different strengths and weaknesses profile. Way better shot, but smaller and hit edge-work isn't as good.
Crosby was a top 5 forward as a rookie...

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hughes has a far superior supporting cast to help him. So I have to take Hughes here

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You expected him to score at a 30 point pace as a rookie?
He has a better shot, and that's where it ends. Crosby was bigger, faster, quicker, stronger on the puck, better around the net, and sees the ice better (though Bedard's vision is right there).

Crosby was already a top 5 player in the league by the time his rookie season was over.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Probably Hughes if he's able to play at 100% most of the season. Early last year he was on an insane tear. Bedard should flirt with 100 next season but his supporting cast is way too weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad