Who will be a fulltime Leaf next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Forwards: Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Gauthier, Panik, Hyman, Soshnikov, Carrik

Defence: Percy, Loov, Granberg, Corrado, Valiev

Goalies: Bibeau, Sparks

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leivo, Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Panik, Percy would be the ones I would be surprised not to make it. But who knows how Babcock wants it to go.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Forwards: Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Gauthier, Panik, Hyman, Soshnikov, Carrik

I don't think the entire team will change over the course of the year. That's a lot of prospects graduating to the Leafs.

And Bibeau AND Sparks? That's a bit bold.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I don't think the entire team will change over the course of the year. That's a lot of prospects graduating to the Leafs.

And Bibeau AND Sparks? That's a bit bold.

uhh, I think it was more of a pick-em laid out for you to pick...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nylander soshnikov loov brown
Side question: how many prospect do you think they will inject into the line up at once?

finnbalor*

Wouldn't mind seeing Nylander moved up to the bigs and A.Nylander move up to the Marlies (either pick him with or trade up to pick with Pitt's pick).

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
My predictions for making the team out of camp: Nylander, Marner, Brown and Percy.

Kapanen is also possible. Can't see anyone else making it out of camp next year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I honestly think they leave Marner down again. At least at the beginning. And it's no slight on him being ready or his ceiling either. They are serious I think about bringing these guys when they are over ready and not yo-yoing them

Brown, Nylander, Leivo, Hyman, Leipsic, Loov, Percy, Bibeau make the team next year out of camp

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

(Bolded make it if you don't want to read my opinions.... I wouldn't)

Nylander: Would be utterly shocked if he didn't make the Leafs next year. He could make the team after the TDL (I selfishly hope not because he's the prospect with the best chance at the calder, something we haven't had a shot at in a long time).

Marner: He's not going back to the OHL for a second year. He'll follow Rielly's progression (1 year in OHL, then 3rd line minutes), not Giroux's progression.

Kapanen: Another year in the minors

Brown: Heavily depends on camp and how he does later in the year when he gets called up (I think he'll be called up a few times late in the year). He'll be on the team by the end of next year, not sure about the start though.

Leivo: He'll have the opportunity, but he likely won't start in the NHL.

Carrick: See Leivo.

Percy: He'll get a shot and likely make it. He might even get a call up after the TDL this year if we get rid of a Dman or two.

Corrado: He'll be on the team this year and I doubt will be traded which will make him likely to be on the team next year too.

Bibeau: If one of Reimer/Bernier are traded, he'll be the back-up. In a scenario where we trade one of those two and the other doesn't have a good season this year, he'll be competing with a PTO goalie next camp IMO and likely win the battle.

Everybody else, very slim chance IMO. I'm hoping for a (positive) surprise or two though.

We'll see a lot of turn-over with new kids if our team keeps playing like this. Yes, Babcock was very slow with rookies, but Detroit didn't have as many high picks as us (Marner and Nylander in particular) and they were a much harder team to crack.

Something like this next year is conceivable:

JVR - Kadri - Marner/Nylander
PTO/1year - Nylander/Marner - Lupul/Komarov
who knows - who knows - who knows
Winnik - who knows - who knows

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Harrington
Percy - Corrado
Marincin

Bernier
Bibeau
If we get Chychrun or Matthews, I think they'll be in the NHL... Anybody else and they won't be.

I hope our roster isn't this bad heading into next year...

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Forwards: Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Gauthier, Panik, Hyman, Soshnikov, Carrik, Matthews:naughty:

Bolded the players I think will be full time Leafs next year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I honestly think they leave Marner down again. At least at the beginning. And it's no slight on him being ready or his ceiling either. They are serious I think about bringing these guys when they are over ready and not yo-yoing them

Brown, Nylander, Leivo, Hyman, Leipsic, Loov, Percy, Bibeau make the team next year out of camp
They can't send Marner down then call him up mid-year. Most likely he's on the team barring a disastrous camp, very rare for a top 5 pick to stay in the CHL 2 years post draft, in the last 5 years the only guys who have are Brayden Scehnn (5th 2009), Ryan Strome (5th 2011), Griffin Reinhart (4th 2012), and Dal Colle (5th 2014).

In comparison guys who made the NHL there first year Tavares (1st 2009), Duchene (3rd 2009), E. Kane (4th 2009), Hall (1st 2010), Seguin (2nd 2010), RNH (1st 2011), Landeskog (2nd 2011), Yakupov (1st 2012), Galchenyuk (3rd 2012), Mackinnon (1st 2013), Jones (4th 2013), Ekblad (1st 2014), Draisaitl (3rd 2014,Burned year off ELC but sent back down) and Bennett (4th 2014-Injured in camp kept with team for rehab til Feb then sent down but called back up after Kingstons season was over and burned ELC year).

Guys who were up after 1 year, Gudbranson(3rd 2010), Johansen (4th 2010), Niedreiter (5th 2010, up most of this year, sent to AHL at points due to late birthday), Huberdeau (3rd 2011-played half this year in JR's due to lock out, made team out of camp), Ryan Murray (2nd 2012), Rielly (5th 2012), Drouin (3rd 2013), and Sam Reinhart (2nd 2014).

Marner has shown offensively he is above junior. This year he can round out his game while playing center and add weight during the off-season. Marner compared to all the guys I listed is probably closest to Drouin (also RNH, Bennett and Huberdeau who both needed to put on weight but are slightly bigger) in the issues that needed addressing, which are rounding out their game to complement their elite offence, get reps at center, and be the leader of their team. Most of the guys who stay the full 2 are guys who either don't have the speed to adjust to the pro game (Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Strome), are blocked by stacked teams (Dal Colle) or have yet to dominate the Jr level and are projections (Griffin Reinhart).

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I can't see them sending Marner back to the CHL for a 4th season in 2016-17. Don't see that doing anything for his development. I'd be pretty shocked if he wasn't in the opening lineup next year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR - Stamkos - Komarov
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
Winnik - Nylander - Brown
Leipsic - Froese - Hyman
Holland - Carrick

Rielly - Gardiner
Phaneuf - Percy
Loov - Harrington
Hunwick

Bernier
Bibeau

of course, Stamkos probably won't be here then just slot all the centers 1 spot up, and move Carrick to the final line. If we draft Matthews he could be here, so could Chychrun on D. Who knows is Marner will be ready. Phaneuf could be traded. There will be a lot of turnover but I'll be happy to see the influx of young guys

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Forwards: Nylander, Marner*, Kapanen, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Panik and Carrick.

Defence: Percy, Loov and Granberg

Goalies: None

*If physically ready otherwise back to juniors or perhaps they try something orthodox and send him to Europe and have him playing against men for a season.

Edit: I think we will see Nylander, Kapanen, Percy and perhaps a couple of others up after the TDL only to return to the Marlies for the Calder.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Before you graduate any of the Marlies or Prospects you have to determine what players now on the team will be replaced.

Who will stay and who will go in Maple Leafs' rebuild?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...y-and-who-will-go-in-maple-leafs-rebuild.html

But there’s a bigger question: Which of these current Maple Leafs will be on the roster in two season’s time when the franchise is turning the corner?

This year is close to being a lost year. With 11 players on the roster making their Leafs debut — none of them draft picks — the one-win-in-10-games team has the feel of an expansion franchise.

Next year, some prospects will finally make the leap. You can start with Mitch Marner, who in a year’s time ought to be too good for the OHL and still not eligible to play in the AHL. Once the prospects dam bursts and one makes it, the rest — William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Connor Brown — will follow.

But a year of young players could mean another spinning wheels.

So mark 2018-19 down on your calendar as the first in the turnaround and ask yourselves which of the current Leafs are actually part of the long-term solution. Which of these players will still be around?

BETTER THAN 90 PER CENT

Morgan Rielly

A gifted young skater who seems more able to take control of the game as he takes control of the puck. In a future Leaf world, it could be a thing of beauty to see how he interacts with the likes of Marner. Rielly might be the only current player who could outlast Babcock with the Leafs.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Gone this year: Bozak, Matthias, Spaling, Boyes, Polak, Marincin, Parenteau
Making it this year: Nylander, Leivo, Corrado, Granberg, Panik, Arcobello

JVR Kadri Komaorv
Leivo Nylander Lupul
Winnik Holland Panik
Clune Arcobello Grabner

Gardiner Rielly
Hunwick Phanuef
Harrington Granberg
Robidas Corrado

Bernier
Reimer

Making it next year: Marner, Brown, Percy, Bibeau

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Gone this year: Bozak, Matthias, Spaling, Boyes, Polak, Marincin, Parenteau
Making it this year: Nylander, Leivo, Corrado, Granberg, Panik, Arcobello

JVR Kadri Komaorv
Leivo Nylander Lupul
Winnik Holland Panik
Clune Arcobello Grabner

Gardiner Rielly
Hunwick Phanuef
Harrington Granberg
Robidas Corrado

Bernier
Reimer

Making it next year: Marner, Brown, Percy, Bibeau

You do know Kapanen almost made the Pens, last year. He would probably made the Leafs this season if not management wanted to keep as many of the young ones together as a group.
Percy, like Granberg was also ready last year and will most likely get a chance to stick this year at some point.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I like Kapanen, they may want him to develop a little more though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad