Who was your most entertaining, yet least talented player?

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Probably two who stand out to me are Keith Magnuson and Brad Smith (Motor City Smitty).

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Obviously a good player with a couple of 50 pt seasons from the blueline, but when I think of Dennis Wideman I only see two of the most ridiculous “career highlights” fathomable.

Tomas Holmström’s 1000 GP for a powerhouse baffles the mind, all things considered.

Mikael Tellqvist didn’t seem to pick up a damn thing since starting out in the 90s, was still flopping around the crease like a fish in the SHL pushing 40. I guess he did make the saves however.

Zdeno Chara on the other hand was a great student of the game, early on his on-ice presence felt more like a spectacle than “future HoFer”.

I don’t know how talented he was, but per my recollections Johan Hedberg seemed to have learned his position playing soccer.

Favorites of mine who barely played in the NHL are Jonatan Hedström and Per Ledin.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Probably two who stand out to me are Keith Magnuson and Brad Smith (Motor City Smitty).
Curious why you say Magnuson. He was pretty solid defender, 2 time all star. When I think of guys with minimal talent, people like Nick Fotiu come to mind. I thought Magnuson was pretty good

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Broken down now, but Brendan Gallagher. Small, average skater, not much of a shot, but somehow peaked as a 30+ goalscorer, a leader and the heart and soul of the team

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Adam McQuaid.

Really underrated shut down bottom 4 guy. But the entertainment factor was big hits and he made a habit of wrecking people when dropping the gloves.

Plus he rocked the Jagr mullet in the playoffs.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Jarko Ruutu. Made me laugh constantly, got in fights and did well, and had a knack for the shootout.... i think just due to not having the ability to feel nervous.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Curious why you say Magnuson. He was pretty solid defender, 2 time all star. When I think of guys with minimal talent, people like Nick Fotiu come to mind. I thought Magnuson was pretty good
Thanks, I guess that Magnuson immediately came to mind in response to my interpretation of the original question, because my recollected impressions of him were those of a guy not blessed with great natural talent who was a lunchpail-type team guy who wore his heart on his sleeve, suffered a fair amount of significant injuries, fearlessly blocked shots and wouldn't back down from opponents, even when he was overmatched. The enthusiasm with which he'd run out onto the ice leading the Blackhawks up the stairs from the dressing room in the old Chicago Stadium was always a memorable sight...

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Thanks, I guess that Magnuson immediately came to mind in response to my interpretation of the original question, because my recollected impressions of him were those of a guy not blessed with great natural talent who was a lunchpail-type team guy who wore his heart on his sleeve, suffered a fair amount of significant injuries, fearlessly blocked shots and wouldn't back down from opponents, even when he was overmatched. The enthusiasm with which he'd run out onto the ice leading the Blackhawks up the stairs from the dressing room in the old Chicago Stadium was always a memorable sight...
one of my all time favorites!....tragic ending to his life.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The only redeeming aspect of Adam Oates's last year as Capitals HC was the 3rd line of Jason Chimera - Eric Fehr - Joel Ward. Shift after shift of just cycling along the boards and generating chances. Wish they'd had a line like that in any of the years they actually made the playoffs...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
depends what you mean by talent

if you don’t count motor and hockey IQ, both of which he possessed at an all-time scale, then alex burrows?

he wasn’t big, he wasn’t strong, he wasn’t really that fast, didn’t have a great shot, only knew one deke, but i could watch that guy kill a 5-on-3 by himself all day.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
For me it was Sergio Momesso, a lumbering limited puck-skilled winger who had heart and grit.

Here's his most significant goal (but by no means his most memorable moment):

Reactions: DitchMarner

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jarko Ruutu. Made me laugh constantly, got in fights and did well, and had a knack for the shootout.... i think just due to not having the ability to feel nervous.

I was also going to pick Jarko Ruutu.

Ridley Greig has sort of inherited the crown.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What's entertaining or not is quite personal. Some people are entertained by Alexander Skarsgård and Rihanna in Battleship whereas other people are not.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ridley Greig has sort of inherited the crown.
I dunno who "Ridley Greig" is, but 5-time Stanley Cup dman Randy Gregg would be HHOF material but he became a doctor and bailed on pro sports.

Crown?

Randy Gregg covered many Paul Coffey defensive gaffs, so maybe Gregg deserves a crown.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I dunno who "Ridley Greig" is, but 5-time Stanley Cup dman Randy Gregg would be HHOF material but he became a doctor and bailed on pro sports.

Crown?

Randy Gregg covered many Paul Coffey defensive gaffs, so maybe Gregg deserves a crown.

Ridly Greig is a 21 year old rookie forward on the Ottawa Senators.

Reactions: VanIslander

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Does Ron Hextall count? Always on the entertaining side, but was he a skilled goalie? I don't know. Had a stand up style, was big and tall, but allowed a lot of softies. Never looked like he was good at stopping the puck, but he did seem to at times get the job done. Has a Vezina and a Conn Smythe.

Reactions: MadLuke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad