Who was hockey's Pete Rose in relation to effort?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Probably no one in baseball history played the game with so much heart and effort 100% of the time as Pete Rose. Known as "Charlie Hustle" he played as if it was his last. Probably would have bowled over his grandmother for a run. And in reality 10 years apart he did bowl over two catchers just for a run. 1970 All-Star game he ran over Ray Fosse who was blocking the plate. Everyone blames Rose for playing too hard in an All-Star game, but I always asked why was Fosse blocking the plate then? Can't blame Rose. Fosse is said to have never been the same after that. Perhaps, as he hit .307 that year and didn't do that again. But he did play until 1979 and still won two World Series. I don't know how good he may or may not have been, but either way his batting average was good in 1970 before and after the all-star break. The other time Rose bowled over a catcher was the 1980 NLCS when he elbowed Bruce Bochy to score the winning run in Game 4 as Bochy was bobbling the ball. Not to mention the way Rose slid into bases hands first. Maybe Ty Cobb played with more intensity, who knows, but Cobb had more talent than Rose. Rose did what he did based mostly on hard nosed playing and never quitting.

So who is hockey's version of this? Would it be Rocket Richard? Someone who is an all-time great but perhaps had less talent than others at the top but got by more on sheer tenacity and determination? Would it be Messier who would also elbow his own grandmother to win a game? For me I think Richard is the closest to Rose in this respect.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby Clarke came to mind for me, both for high motor game to game and the do anything to win mentality. Not an ultra athletic player. Even the odd scandal in the post-playing career.

I am not totally certain of how Rose played, though I know his nickname is Charlie Hustle and I have heard about the running over catchers things. Messier would take cheap shots to win, but he wasn't a player who went all out every game. It's possible that I misunderstand how Rose played, I'm not a baseball fan and just have a general understanding of the sport's history. Richard was known for his will but I'm not really sure how he was day to day as opposed to the big moments, where he is a legend.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Bobby Clarke came to mind for me, both for high motor game to game and the do anything to win mentality. Not an ultra athletic player. Even the odd scandal in the post-playing career.

I am not totally certain of how Rose player, though I know his nickname is Charlie Hustle and I have heard about the running over catchers things. Messier would take cheap shots to win, but he wasn't a player who went all out every game. It's possible that I misunderstand how Rose played, I'm not a baseball fan and just have a general understanding of the sport's history. Richard was known for his will but I'm not really sure how he was day to day as opposed to the big moments, were he is a legend.

The big moments for sure Richard is right there with Rose. In fact, outside of Gretzky you can argue there isn't a more clutch forward in the history of the NHL. On a day to day basis I don't know if Richard is there with Rose. I am not sure who is. Rose got the nickname "Charlie Hustle" because even when the pitcher would walk him he would still run or jog hard to 1st base. Everything he did had a motor attached to it. Clarke is good with the winner take all mentality. Ironically the Broad Street Bullies and the Big Red Machine were both the cream of their sport's crop at the same time.

I'll throw another name out there, John Tonelli? Not as physical as Rose per se, but definitely did as much as he did because of effort and will to win.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe some combination of Maurice Richard's or Bobby Clarke's driven competitiveness and borderline dirtyness and Bryan Trottier's unrelenting hustle ... but probably a slightly less skilled player at his sport than any of those guys at their peak levels.

Hard to draw exact comparisons across sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad