OT: WHO MADE THIS CITY!!!! Montreal Traffic Rant

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The only thing I hate worse than Traffic is cyclists.

Also, there is heavy traffic in any major city. Montreal is no exception.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only thing I hate worse than Traffic is cyclists.

Also, there is heavy traffic in any major city. Montreal is no exception.

Agreed, but the difference here is you feel much of it could be avoided if some people would get the heads out of their aersses.

Signalization for one is joke, completely closing highways should never happen, contingency planning is a farce...I can go on and on. They had a worse problem in Boston a few years back, and I mention that city because it is very similar to ours in population, size and age, and they've addressed the right way. They made sure they completely revamped the whole road infrastructure. Here, it's patch work, eliminating one problem by creating 2 more...honestly, it's a pretty embarrassing really.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Montreal is has the worst traffic of any city in Canada. Only LA & SF have worse traffic in the entire North America.

http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/default.asp

That site shows that Montreal is comparable to Vancouver and Toronto. It's not like Canada is swimming in economical successful urban centres.

Calgary has had the benefit of having a late econ development during a time where urban planning taken much more seriously.

In regards to the U.S, the stats are comparable to New York, Boston L.A and a host of american cities.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That site shows that Montreal is comparable to Vancouver and Toronto. It's not like Canada is swimming in economical successful urban centres.

Calgary has had the benefit of having a late econ development during a time where urban planning taken much more seriously.

In regards to the U.S, the stats are comparable to New York, Boston L.A and a host of american cities.

2014 average has Montreal leading Toronto by 3.5 points and Vancouver by 5.5. I wouldn't call that comparable.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
2014 average has Montreal leading Toronto by 3.5 points and Vancouver by 5.5. I wouldn't call that comparable.

Yet hours spent in congestion is. Also, the data doesn't mean much without historical context of the city's development.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yet hours spent in congestion is. Also, the data doesn't mean much without historical context of the city's development.

Time spent in congestion doesn't include several factors INRIX index does. It also doesn't depend on average travel time that hours spent in congestion does.

http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/methodology.asp

Regardless, my only point was to illustrate that Montreal doesn't have it peachy when it comes to traffic. I don't drive around with "Surviving 3rd worst traffic in NA" sticker. :laugh:

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
You act like we're safe now... There WILL be another overpass collapse, or worse, a bridge collapse. It's a matter of time. There's only so much that patchwork can fix.

I wouldn't say we're safe. I drive on turcot and under other overpasses everyday (lachine to downtown) and I still see exposed steel and crumbling concrete. I guess I'm hoping that with the corruption/neglect problem more out in the open, that the work will actually be done properly.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
The guy in this video sounds like he's from St-Leonard. It's so funny how most of those people can speak three languages, yet they have an accent in all three languages.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
When I'm driving, I hate people on foot.
When I'm on foot, I hate people driving.
But no matter what, I hate people on bikes.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
My guess is you've never driven in Toronto ? They have the prettiest roads I've seen...

that would be inaccurate. You obviously have not driven here in a long time. I have lived in both cities and while I thought Montreal had the worst roads and construction issues, I think Toronto is at least 1B. Toronto has zero planning ability and it seems they forget how many people actually live in and around the city. They close major roads without having adequate alternatives. This would be acceptable except the ublic transportation in the city is laughable at best. Getting in and out of either Montreal or Toronto is bad, but once in the city Montreal is a lot easier to move around in. The metro system is a lot more efficient and covers most of the core.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
that would be inaccurate. You obviously have not driven here in a long time. I have lived in both cities and while I thought Montreal had the worst roads and construction issues, I think Toronto is at least 1B. Toronto has zero planning ability and it seems they forget how many people actually live in and around the city. They close major roads without having adequate alternatives. This would be acceptable except the ublic transportation in the city is laughable at best. Getting in and out of either Montreal or Toronto is bad, but once in the city Montreal is a lot easier to move around in. The metro system is a lot more efficient and covers most of the core.

Nothing beats the "Montreal Classic"

ie: Road is torn up all spring long to replace a broken water pipe. They rebuild everything, start re-paving the roads, and everything is re-opened for 3 weeks.

All of a sudden, the same exact stretch of road is closed, again, and ripped up, again, this time because while they were doing everything the first time, they identified another problem and have to start all over, even though the road was already ripped up before and was just re-paved. That, or the original company went bankrupt at some point in the process and they need to start all over from the beginning because nobody knows at which point in the construction they were when they suddenly stopped. Even though in all likelyhood the new company is actually the old company under a new incorporation.

This isn't an exaggeration. I have lived in St-Henri for almost 6 years now and they have done this on St-Antoine 3 times and St-Jacques 4 times. Go see St-Jacques right now, it's bloody fantastic.

Bonus points if they shut down the water with 12 hours notice for a total of 3 days.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
waffledave, you should see the cluster-**** that is Monk & Allard now in Ville Emard. I don't know how long they've been at it by now (a while) but progress seems nearly non-existent.

"Hey, there a new guy with a shovel here this morning. Looks like he's eating something tasty. Wait, is it lunch time already at 9:30AM?"

That's about as much as I can report on a day to day basis. :laugh:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
NO wonder I am in no hurry to get my licence... I just take public and it makes things so much easier.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
i have to drive, take a bus & metro to work every day

i can speak to the hell that is montreal traffic.

this rant speaks to me

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
NO wonder I am in no hurry to get my licence... I just take public and it makes things so much easier.

LOL it's easier till you actually drive and see the difference. Unless you go metro to metro or go downtown driving is the boss.

I go against traffic to work now and it's awesome.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nothing beats the "Montreal Classic"

ie: Road is torn up all spring long to replace a broken water pipe. They rebuild everything, start re-paving the roads, and everything is re-opened for 3 weeks.

All of a sudden, the same exact stretch of road is closed, again, and ripped up, again, this time because while they were doing everything the first time, they identified another problem and have to start all over, even though the road was already ripped up before and was just re-paved. That, or the original company went bankrupt at some point in the process and they need to start all over from the beginning because nobody knows at which point in the construction they were when they suddenly stopped. Even though in all likelyhood the new company is actually the old company under a new incorporation.

This isn't an exaggeration. I have lived in St-Henri for almost 6 years now and they have done this on St-Antoine 3 times and St-Jacques 4 times. Go see St-Jacques right now, it's bloody fantastic.

Bonus points if they shut down the water with 12 hours notice for a total of 3 days.
I was going to rant on Ville-emard but Goodkiwi started it.

waffledave, you should see the cluster-**** that is Monk & Allard now in Ville Emard. I don't know how long they've been at it by now (a while) but progress seems nearly non-existent.

"Hey, there a new guy with a shovel here this morning. Looks like he's eating something tasty. Wait, is it lunch time already at 9:30AM?"

That's about as much as I can report on a day to day basis. :laugh:

I can tell you how long it's been now... IT'S BEEN FREAKING 4 MONTHS. 4 FREAKING MONTHS OF TUN-TUN-TUN, TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK AT 7 IN THE MORNING AND EATING THE REST OF THE ****ING DAY.

I can't even leave my windows open because it's too ****ing loud and it makes too much dust. AND THEN THERE'S THE ****ING PARKING!!!!!!!!!! On an already disgusting street for parking... I just can't do it man. They're supposed to be done in september. Yeah right.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
LOL it's easier till you actually drive and see the difference. Unless you go metro to metro or go downtown driving is the boss.

I go against traffic to work now and it's awesome.

I have to trade 1:30 each way to get to school.

If I would drive it would cost me a fortune !

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Have to take the car on mondays and fridays for deliveries, otherwise I take my bike. This summer was plain awful for me with all the constructions around my area (ville-Marie). Rachel, Ontario and Sherbrooke all had their share of constructions (especially Rachel from Papineau to St-Laurent, which is usually my favourite route). Mont-Royal is alway dumb. So everyone is taking St-Joseph.

I love my bike. But as a driver and a biker, let me tell you, the worse are the bikers. Pedestrians aren't much better but bikers rely on drivers to not get killed, I swear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad