Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thoughts on using Raffl as the 3C? He's been a winger here but has played center in international play. Then there's Veccione; he'll be 26 years old next season. If he has a future in the organization he needs to be up next season.
Giroux-Coots-Konecny
?????-Patrick-Simmonds
Lindblom-Raffl-Voracek
Laughton-Veccione-Weiss or NAK

It would have been tried by now if the organization though it was a viable option. Probably has to do with the system we play.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
  • Jack Johnson 3 years x $5 mil. Veteran top 4 d-man.
  • Jay Beagle 3 years x $2.5 mil. Veteran bottom 6 center and PK dynamo.
  • Ryan Reaves 2 years x $2 mil. Veteran bottom 6 winger, adds heaviness.
It would be a dream come true.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Jay Beagle 3 years x $2.5 mil. Veteran bottom 6 center and PK dynamo.
I think 3 years x $2.5M per is too much for Jay Beagle.

He'll be 33. He's on the decline. I don't need a 33 year old, 7 goal, 15 assist 4th line center tied up for 3 years and $2.5M per. He loses another half step, which is very likely, and you've got a guy who's easily replaceable by an AHLer. You need the young Jay Beagles for the 4th line, not the 33-year-old ones at $2.5M.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
From UFA's... given how much term and cap people would cost, and fit on team, and realism of getting them:

Grabner
Brodziak
Winnik

Kempny
Franson
Jerabek

Are the "cheaper" guys who I would be ok with them signing.

Tavares or Stastny would be amazing... but probably pipedreams.

Thornton, Riley Nash, Bozak, Plekanec... would be good/fine on short deals at C. Realistically I think only Bozak or Plekanec are possible. Would be ok with either at 3C... both Flip upgrades.

Perron is really the only top 6 winger I think could be feasible/interesting if not more than a few years. Kane, JvR, Neal, Maroon and Nash are either unappealing or won't happen.

Carlson, Hickey, de Haan and Enstrom are the only kind of "established" Dmen I feel worth anything really in UFA. Carlson is likely impossible. Would only want Enstrom on a ~1 year deal. Cn still play at ~#4 level, but there is a risk he falls off a cliff.

Apple, you're about the smartest guy around here, so I want to ask your opinion:

How would you feel about Kunitz?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You can’t say that without knowing what is/isn’t possible.

Sure I can. I don't like most of the realistic free agent possibilities. They won't improve the team in any meaningful way.

When I say realistic, i'm excluding Tavares, Stastny, Kane, Carlson, and Green because I don't think Hextall will target any of them. They will get longer terms elsewhere.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really see them going for the top tier UFA’s. I think mid to low tier guys are probably where it will be. I just hope it’s guys who can actually contribute in a meaningful way.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think we should make every attempt to get Tavares but barring that miracle happening, I love the idea of targeting AA in a trade and signing Grabner.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
  • Jack Johnson 3 years x $5 mil. Veteran top 4 d-man.
  • Jay Beagle 3 years x $2.5 mil. Veteran bottom 6 center and PK dynamo.
  • Ryan Reaves 2 years x $2 mil. Veteran bottom 6 winger, adds heaviness.
It would be a dream come true.
For the record, after I hastily posted my anti-Beagle reply, it dawned on me you were being sarcastic.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, I didn't even read your comments before I posted. Clearly I'm touchy about the Jay Beagle love I've been reading.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure I can. I don't like most of the realistic free agent possibilities. They won't improve the team in any meaningful way.

When I say realistic, i'm excluding Tavares, Stastny, Kane, Carlson, and Green because I don't think Hextall will target any of them. They will get longer terms elsewhere.
You may not like the realistic free agent possibilities but you don’t even know of the realistic trade possibilities... so no, you kinda can’t...

1) You don’t know who’s available.
2) You don’t know if anyone who’s available fits our needs.
3) If someone is available, who fits our needs, is the price reasonable?
4) If someone is available, who fits our needs and the price is reasonable, would we get outbid?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The only thing I can say for certain is that Hextall needs to be making additions and not subtractions at this point. If he wants to sell Simmonds or Voracek and bring back positive assets that is one thing but he shouldn't be taking anymore boat anchors.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
the one thing that hextall values more of is centers, im wondering besides JT, is their any centers in fa that are good in faceoffs?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t really see them going for the top tier UFA’s. I think mid to low tier guys are probably where it will be. I just hope it’s guys who can actually contribute in a meaningful way.
Welp, rubber meets road. In targeting the big ticket UFAs, there's an erroneous thought the acquired player will be can't miss, because you're paying for known talents. (In the macro-sense of the meaning, everything can miss, but less likely to miss.) If it does come down to the mid-tier, which is way more realistic and probable, the chances of missing are far greater. Hextall has not shown the results of doing well with mid-tier, or lower, additions to the team, ergo, trepidation with that category.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Welp, rubber meets road. In targeting the big ticket UFAs, there's an erroneous thought the acquired player will be can't miss, because you're paying for known talents. (In the macro-sense of the meaning, everything can miss, but less likely to miss.) If it does come down to the mid-tier, which is way more realistic and probable, the chances of missing are far greater. Hextall has not shown the results of doing well with mid-tier, or lower, additions to the team, ergo, trepidation with that category.

When has Hextall added a mid-tier player?
Filppula was the closest, but he was 32 when added. Basically a TDL throw-in (we got more for Streit than TB did from Pitt) and a 1 year FA signing.
The rest of his additions wouldn't be mid-tier, unless you want to include MDZ and Elliott on short-term deals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You may not like the realistic free agent possibilities but you don’t even know of the realistic trade possibilities... so no, you kinda can’t...

1) You don’t know who’s available.
2) You don’t know if anyone who’s available fits our needs.
3) If someone is available, who fits our needs, is the price reasonable?
4) If someone is available, who fits our needs and the price is reasonable, would we get outbid?

My original comment, "Trade route is the best route this summer. I agree" was meant as an opinion. It is my opinion that going the trade route would be best this summer if we decide to improve the team through external acquisition. I don't like the realistic available free agents. Next time i'll include "In my opinion."

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'd be hesitant on trades. I don't think the team should be giving up its top prospects, and that's what it would take to acquire a real impact player. The only one I'd trade is Morin, and that's out the window now with his knee surgery. It's very unlikely you get a current impact player for Simmonds, as any team acquiring him would be looking to win now, which means they aren't going to make a lateral deal to their current roster.

So I stick with free agency and add to the existing team without giving up the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad