Who is the NHL's version of MLB umpire Angel Hernandez?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
So a few weeks ago Hernandez announced his retirement. His name can make some grit their teeth because of his questionable calls being the plate. I never thought he was as bad as he was painted out to be, but I will admit he made some head scratching calls. Was combative as well I felt. My thought when it comes to being an umpire behind home plate is that if it is a border line call you make the call that will prolong the at bat. In other words, a 3-0 count and a ball nearly hitting the corner of the plate you can call that a strike and its fine. I felt that Hernandez seemed to do the opposite of that though. Just my observation.

But he was easily the most hated umpire in baseball. I think MLB gives umpires a long leash, and maybe that's fair either way. For example Don Denkinger made that famous bad call in Game 6 of the 1985 World Series and then he was still assigned the 1991 World Series. To be fair any interview he has given he's owned his mistake against the Cardinals (although they just imploded after that bad ball and lost Game 6 themselves and got hammered in Game 7).

But who is the best comparison in the NHL for Hernandez? In other words, a hated ref by many fans and players alike that seemed to have the support of the NHL and officiated in big moments. I am going to throw the name Don Koharski out there. I can't think of anyone else to compare with Hernandez. But Koharski officiated the 1987 Canada Cup and while I know the Soviets didn't approve of him people forget that neither did Team Canada. But he was always in the mix as an important ref in the NHL and I never understood that. I thought he was too combative with the players as well. My guess is that when he was part of the central reason why the refs went on strike in 1988 after the incident with Jim Schoenfeld he sort of got favoured by the NHL after that as if they knew to keep him happy. Just my guess if I had to make one.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The nhl supports all the refs, so the difference comes down to who the fans dont like, and i suspect that answer won't have a general consensus and is shaped by a fanbase's experience with a particular referee.

For Habs fans, that answer is probably Chris Lee with very bizarre calls from 2010 to current day.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Read the title as Aaron Hernandez which is an entirely different story unto its own...

Reactions: MXD

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gotta be Kerry Fraser. He was the most "Look at me! I'm a big-bad ref!" type I have ever seen. Granted, it was the random / Australian-rules / pretend-I-don't-see-five-flagrant-fouls-in-a-row era of reffing, but Fraser -- uniquely -- used to pick fights with one team / coach or the other, and then call about 12 penalties in a row to that team. He also seemed to delight in tossing big stars out of games (he tossed both Gretzky and Lemieux out of games, for example).

And I haven't even mentioned his hair.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Gotta be Kerry Fraser. He was the most "Look at me! I'm a big-bad ref!" type I have ever seen. Granted, it was the random / Australian-rules / pretend-I-don't-see-five-flagrant-fouls-in-a-row era of reffing, but Fraser -- uniquely -- used to pick fights with one team / coach or the other, and then call about 12 penalties in a row to that team. He also seemed to delight in tossing big stars out of games (he tossed both Gretzky and Lemieux out of games, for example).

And I haven't even mentioned his hair.
Fraser was a generally competent ref though (as was Koharski).

Stéphane Auger wasn't and Chris Lee isn't.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Not the NHL but how does Joseph Kompalla fare here? Or would it be bias judgement based on the 1972 Summit Series?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad