Who is the best Russian prospect of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Who is the best Russian prospect of all time?
I’ve seen the stuff on how matvei michkov is the best Russian prospect since ovi and Malkin so I just wanted to see who yhall think is the best of all time?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There was some talk of Ovechkin possibly be number 1 even if he was Crosby year, he started to play pro hockey with adults draft-2 as a young 16 years old.

The kind of prospect being projected number 1 overall for years, team burning 9 round draft pick on him a year early in case some birth certificate typo get revealed or rule change regarding 29 february calculation occur.

The big one pre Berlin wall Fedorov-Bure, etc..., harder to judge but up there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Michkov wasn't even the first Russian drafted in his draft. If he was Ovechkin he would have gone first despite any theoretical issue with drafting Russians.

Ovechkin was a big time prospect, but his greatness has surpassed his projections as a prospect. His hype was pretty much in line with Kovalchuk's, probably mildly more, which is that of a very high end number 1 though not the prospect level of a Lindros or Crosby. Bure would also be on that level. Prior to that I don't think that we can get a real sense of a Makarov or Fetisov as a prospect.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
When i meant by best is stats and skill wise. I like to think that ovi is the best russian prospect, I am a big Ovi fan but matvei michkov does hold the record for highest ppg in the khl be a draft eligible player which was 0.67 if u include his 3 games where he had almost no ice time ( 20 points 30 games) and I think 0.72 if u don’t (20 pouts 27 games). While ovi had a 0.45 (24 points 53 games). But I do know that michkov did it in the khl and ovi did it in the RSL. I don’t if there is a difference between the two leagues. Also the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. Ovi also has the really good 2001-2002 WJC-18 run (14 goals 4 assist 8 games) but michkov also had a good WJC-18 run (12 goals 12 goals 4 assist 7 games). Those where the only leagues/tournament they both played in as far as i can tell and once again I don’t if there is a difference between the KHL and RSL but i do know the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. So who is a better prospect ovi or michkov let me know what you think.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Does Tretiak count? Once we saw him in 1972 it was a dream to have him. The Habs even drafted him in 1983 with a longshot chance of getting him and him being allowed to come over.

But I think this answer is easily Ovechkin here. Kovalchuk wasn't really thought to be the #1 overall pick until late in his draft year. It was between him and Spezza that year and up until the end of 2001 the consensus was that Spezza was the special player that would be #1.

Ovechkin I can remember people drooling over him in the 2003 WJC. You saw how great he was going to be even at that time. I am not sure there is another Russian that had his impact. If Malkin had his own draft year and went #1 you could argue he was sought after as well, but I am still taking Ovechkin here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad