Who is the best example of "If he won a Cup he's in the HHOF" type of guy?

Who is the best example of "If he wins a Cup he's in the HHOF" guy?

• John Vanbiesbrouck

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Andy Moog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Middleton

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Mike Liut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curtis Joseph

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Theo Fleury

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
probably would have done as much for his career retrospective as the '97 Smythe did for Vernon. ... I know Vernon was erroneously entered in the HOF recently
I mean, this is almost agreeing with the poster.

2cup in a row for Osgood, .930 in the 2008 finals, was .930 in 2009, if he win maybe he was a bit higher, people in retrospect would have look at the numbers....

They were such a loaded team at the time:

Holmstrom, Hudler, Maltby, Draper barely used, Marian Hossa is your 9th most used skater... that maybe it does not remove all the cog in the wings machine aura, but 2008 already put a ding on it and it is not like Vernon Flams or Wings were less superteams.

I can see it becoming too much (if a smythe specially) for Osgood, 400 regular season wins, 75 playoffs wins, "3" cups, solid play pre-Detroit returns with the Islanders-Blues, nhl all star teams.

If Vernom goes in, how do they keep 2xcup as the starter Osgood or Fleury out.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I think as years go on, the HOF represents perception and reality less and less...

Not that this subforum is the be-all, end-all of anything...but did anyone's perception of Mike Vernon change because he was a surprise induction to the HOF after the ~20th "try"...?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
There are already some saying Osgood should be in. Adding another Cup win to his name would only amplify those calls, for better or worse.

As for the vote, I went with Joseph. Strong name as is, and a Cup win (especially with the Leafs) would certainly give him a lot of credibility as a candidate, considering the way goalies are treated by the Hall.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I think as years go on, the HOF represents perception and reality less and less...

Not that this subforum is the be-all, end-all of anything...but did anyone's perception of Mike Vernon change because he was a surprise induction to the HOF after the ~20th "try"...?
I am not sure the nuance being made, people try to predict what the perception among voters (or what they feel they need to do if it is not their true feeling) would be, not the perception or opinion of people at large. And once the player get in, he is in, what it do on the perception of people is a different thing. I feel hockey HHOF is open enough to not mean much, people use it in some Lemieux talk about how many HHOF was there, but that Joe Mullen is an HHOF but Kevin Stevens is not feel quite empty to most.

We can be almost certain that without that extra cup and Smythe Vernom does not get in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad