Who is the 24th best player so far in the 21st Century?

Who is the 24th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
24th in a series of 25 polls inspired by a recent ESPN poll.

So far this is the top 23 are

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane
9. Mackinnon
10. Pronger
11. Datsyuk
12. Chara
13. Karlsson
14. Thornton
15. Draisaitl
16. Keith
17. Lundqvist
18.Stamkos
19. Kopitar
20. Price
21. Doughty
22. Hedman
23. Iginla

Just a reminder this is how they would be ranked all time only using 2000-2001 through the 23-24 season nothing before and only for the NHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's insane to have Hossa as an option but no Toews.
Hossa is 13th in points while Toews is 35th but he has been added.

I also think that Zetterberg would be the better option to add than Toews.

As for the voting I'm leaning towards Bergeron and can't figure out a good reason to have MSL or Luongo over him, heck Hossa might be my second pick here frankly.

I also think that Andrei Vasilevskiy has probably done as much as Price but goalies are so hard to compare.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hossa is 13th in points while Toews is 35th but he has been added.

I also think that Zetterberg would be the better option to add than Toews.

As for the voting I'm leaning towards Bergeron and can't figure out a good reason to have MSL or Luongo over him, heck Hossa might be my second pick here frankly.

I also think that Andrei Vasilevskiy has probably done as much as Price but goalies are so hard to compare.
Points aren't everything and there's no way I'd rather have Bergeron as the Hawks 1C over Toews. Zetterberg being chosen over Toews would be reasonable for sure.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Points aren't everything and there's no way I'd rather have Bergeron as the Hawks 1C over Toews. Zetterberg being chosen over Toews would be reasonable for sure.
Fair but this poll is about each players carer not how they would do in an imaginary situation.

Also to your example in Bergeron in his final years no one would want a diminished Toews centering Pasta and Marchand right?

But both are moot points as the poll is about something else.

Also points aren't everything but we are talking Bergeron and Toews here and both guys were elite 2 way players and Hossa was no slouch defensively right?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was a better player than Stamkos who went in spot 18. But Bergeron shouldn't even be in consideration here. He's just not that caliber of player.
You must be arguing peaks at MSL was a .95 PPG player in the 21st century Bergeron a .80 PPG and I'll take the defensive 2 way difference 8 days a week.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bergeron was a Selke machine but he lacked the elite offensive punch. Again, give me Toews, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Datsyuk over Bergeron 10/10 times.

I see Matthews getting votes already. I prioritize effectiveness in the playoffs more than most apparently. Lighting up the regular season is one thing but when the competition gets real he becomes a 30g, 70pt player. Or just sits out with an undisclosed injury when his team needs him the most. IIRC Bergeron played with a f***ing broken rib puncturing his lung in the 2013 SCF.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Bergeron was a Selke machine but he lacked the elite offensive punch. Again, give me Toews, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Datsyuk over Bergeron 10/10 times.

I see Matthews getting votes already. I prioritize effectiveness in the playoffs more than most apparently. Lighting up the regular season is one thing but when the competition gets real he becomes a 30g, 70pt player. Or just sits out with an undisclosed injury when his team needs him the most. IIRC Bergeron played with a f***ing broken rib puncturing his lung in the 2013 SCF.
Who did you vote for? Toews has zero votes.

Matthews won a deserved hart trophy in a competitive year so I went with him but I do understand he can be ass in the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1000+ points, 1 Hart, 1 Pearson, 2 Ross, and a Cup win is about 99% of it pal
Like I said he was 20th in scoring this century and had a .95 PPG, Bergeron is 16th with a .80 PPG and I think the defensive game and his proficiency in the dot makes up the difference quite easily.

MSL is going to give you more offense in his peak/prime seasons for sure but he also drops off after 10 seasons while Bergeron still has a 16th strong season on the 21st century resume where he won a Selke.

Staying power matters well maybe not to the stat counting guys.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Like I said he was 20th in scoring this century and had a .95 PPG, Bergeron is 16th with a .80 PPG and I think the defensive game and his proficiency in the dot makes up the difference quite easily.

MSL is going to give you more offense in his peak/prime seasons for sure but he also drops off after 10 seasons while Bergeron still has a 16th strong season on the 21st century resume where he won a Selke.

Staying power matters well maybe not to the stat counting guys.
It’s a lot more offensive though. What’s bergeron’s highest art Ross finish? Was he even top 30 ever?

Edit: he was 29th in his highest scoring year but I don’t know if that was his best finish.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You must be arguing peaks at MSL was a .95 PPG player in the 21st century Bergeron a .80 PPG and I'll take the defensive 2 way difference 8 days a week.
Are you looking at the right players? St Louis was at 1.2 ppg when Bergeron was at .75 ppg

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Matthews was actually sick when he recently sat out. Also not true about the competition thing, he outscored every Tampa player and also outplayed them defensively by a whopping margin in both of their head to head series, and he scored 5 goals against Boston matched up with Bergeron. Obviously his overall playoff resume is disappointing to say the least but the way you word it here is not entirely true.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Crow

May 19, 2014
Matthews was actually sick when he recently sat out. Also not true about the competition thing, he outscored every Tampa player and also outplayed them defensively by a whopping margin in both of their head to head series, and he scored 5 goals against Boston matched up with Bergeron. Obviously his overall playoff resume is disappointing to say the least but the way you word it here is not entirely true.
Yeah I read he was playing sick, then got even sicker and had to sit. If that’s true, I’m willing to believe that he might still turn it around in the post season.

Fact is though he does go from a top 5 player to a top 30ish player in the playoffs based off results so far and that’s what this whole series of threads is about. It’s a legitimate knock on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad