Who is the 12th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the 11th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Who is the 12th best player overall in the NHL so far in the 21st Century.

So far we have it like this after the runoff for 11th place.

Top 11 so far in the voting results are

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane
9. Mackinnon
10. Pronger
11. Datsyuk

Also pick a player to add to the next poll please either from this ESPN list or nominate one.

I added the last 2 goalies on the list and reluctantly added Makar who should get zero votes so far for the century and I'm a huge fan of his but considering the other Dmen and their resumes he shouldn't be getting any serious traction yet.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
All-Star teams since 2000-01:

1st team-2nd team

Chara 3-4
Karlsson 5-0
Iginla 3-2
Hedman 1-5
MSL 1-4
Doughty 2-2
Thornton 1-3
Jagr 2-0

meanwhile Ray Bourque 13-6

add Alfreddson, Kiprusoff

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
All-Star teams since 2000-01:

1st team-2nd team

Chara 3-4
Karlsson 5-0
Iginla 3-2
Hedman 1-5
MSL 1-4
Doughty 2-2
Thornton 1-3
Jagr 2-0

meanwhile Ray Bourque 13-6
Sure but that kind of voting is going to hurt 2 way centers like Bergeron and Kopitar right?

That's part of the picture, for Dmen I'd also use Norris finishes, consistency and playoff resumes as well.

All that being said still about 5 guys vying for my vote here, Kopitar, Drai, Hedman, Doughty and then Chara/Keith.

But part of me thinks that the 3rd best scorer with 12 seasons top 10 in assists and was at least a decent 2 way forward for a top scorer in Joe thornton should be getting more attention right?

In an ideal world the site would support top 10 voting every round and tabulate it.

Reactions: amnesiac

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Karlsson.

He's been elite for a long time now, and what he did in that 2017 playoff run (Even though they didn't make the finals) was special enough that I feel comfortable taking him over every player remaining.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Karlsson's offensive output will have him place higher than he should. I can't imagine Bruins, Lightning, Kings, or Hawks fans rather having him on their teams than their respective #1D's.

Reactions: wetcoast

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Karlsson was supposed to be the best defenseman in the nhl. I mean, he obviously wasn’t, but he won the Norris.

Then he went to the Penguins, everybody stayed healthy, and the team got worse.

I just have a hard time imagining you can add the best defenseman in the world to a bubble team and they somehow don’t get any better.

Reactions: wetcoast

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Karlsson was supposed to be the best defenseman in the nhl. I mean, he obviously wasn’t, but he won the Norris.

I just have a hard time imagining you can add the best defenseman in the world to a bubble team and they somehow don’t get any better.
See, the trick is if Karlsson is on a bad team and allowed to do whatever TF he wants with zero defensive assignments, he's a superstar. On a team with other good players and he can't play hero ball... hero puck? every shift, not so much.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man I'm really stoned but I'm in 100% agreement with the 2 previous statements.....good stuff here.

Karlsson's offensive output will have him place higher than he should. I can't imagine Bruins, Lightning, Kings, or Hawks fans rather having him on their teams than their respective #1D's.
Exactly and to me that doesn't feel like he is actually 12th.

In the top 25 sure but man 12th feels too early.

Here are the 2 statements somehow I screwed up go figure.

See, the trick is if Karlsson is on a bad team and allowed to do whatever TF he wants with zero defensive assignments, he's a superstar. On a team with other good players and he can't play hero ball... hero puck? every shift, not so much.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Voted Iginla. Add Hossa. 10th in points, 5th in goals, 2nd in plus minus, 4th in shots, 1st in shg since 2000. One of the best two-way forwards of the era as well.

Edit: Also 4th in playoff points, 3 cups, 5 finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last day for the poll will post new one tonight.

Also 2 nods for adding Hossa to the next poll anyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad