Who is the 10th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the 10th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just like in previous polls only use any players 2000-2001 onwards to project where they rank "all time" in the 21st century as though anything previous to that doesn't exist.

Top 9 so far is here

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane
9. Mackinnon

Also pick a player to add to the next poll please either from this ESPN list or nominate one.

15. Auston Matthews
18. Marc-Andre Fleury
19. Andrei Vasilevskiy
25. Jonathan Quick

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hmmm... seven of the top nine players are forwards. Is this just a really shitty century for defensemen or are we undervaluing d-men?
Maybe both hard to say as I'm thinking about 6 different guys for this poll.

Chara and Pronger both have really good resumes this Century but so do Doughty/Hedman/Keith/Karlsson

I'm mean do people really value Kucherov and his 9 full seasons (his rookie year isn't noteworthy) over Pronger's full 9 seasons and 2 very limites injury shortened ones?

Honestly I'm not sure that the poll series got that one right and I'm not even sure if Pronger is the best Dman left here..

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Hmmm... seven of the top nine players are forwards. Is this just a really shitty century for defensemen or are we undervaluing d-men?
Not to mention one goalie.

Lundqvist and Luongo played essentially their entire careers this century yet haven't been voted in yet.

I think I would have had Chara, Lunqvist, Luongo ahead of Mackinnon and maybe even Kane/Kucherov.

And there's still guys like Pronger, Hedman, Karlsson, Keith, doughty who have solid cases..

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not to mention one goalie.

Lundqvist and Luongo played essentially their entire careers this century yet haven't been voted in yet.

I think I would have had Chara, Lunqvist, Luongo ahead of Mackinnon and maybe even Kane/Kucherov.

And there's still guys like Pronger, Hedman, Karlsson, Keith, doughty who have solid cases..

MacKinnon has been a top 2-5 player, across all positions, for 7 straight seasons. Can’t say the same for a single player you listed.

Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Fans typically don’t evaluate the value of defenceman and goalies properly because they don’t put up as many points. Not saying they deserve to be listed so far, but they get heavily underrated

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
MacKinnon has been a top 2-5 player, across all positions, for 7 straight seasons. Can’t say the same for a single player you listed.
Kucherov has 1.45 points per game in 440 gp over the last 7 years behind only Mcdavid. Mackinnon is at 1.41 over the same period in 490 gp. He also has 2 art rosses, a hart, 2 cups, and a ted Lindsay compared to Mackinnon’s 1 cup, 1 Ted Lindsay, and 1 hart.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Kucherov has 1.45 points per game in 440 gp over the last 7 years behind only Mcdavid. Mackinnon is at 1.41 over the same period in 490 gp. He also has 2 art rosses, a hart, 2 cups, and a ted Lindsay compared to Mackinnon’s 1 cup, 1 Ted Lindsay, and 1 hart.

I was referring to Chara, Lundqvist, Luongo, Pronger, Hedman, Karlsson, Keith, Doughty, etc. I know Felidae mentioned Kane and Kucherov, but they were already voted in ahead of MacKinnon, so I was skipping over them. I also voted for Kucherov over both Kane and MacKinnon.

Reactions: I am Bettman

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pretty much why I have been voting for him for the last 4 polls.

I changed the spelling of "Luongo" in the poll.
TY I'm such a lazy speller TBH.

Fans typically don’t evaluate the value of defenceman and goalies properly because they don’t put up as many points. Not saying they deserve to be listed so far, but they get heavily underrated
I agree and normally wouldn't even post a poll like this except I'm going off the orginal ESPN top 25 this century so that was my template.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I changed my vote from Pronger to Karlsson. It's hard to argue against three Norris Trophies versus one and his point accumulation over the regular season.

Reactions: bobholly39

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
add MSL

Pronger had 3 Conn Smythe playoff performances
Yes among Dmen Pronger seems like the best choice here 11 straight years of huge Minute mucnhing on the back end and an absolute horse in the playoffs.

The problem with his case is the 4 seasons of 51,50,13 and 5 games so someone like Doughty/Hedman and maybe even Keith/EK/BurnsChara has more overall value.

Among forwards I'm seriously considering Thornton who is 3rd in points for the 21st century but Kopitar is 6th and brings that great 2 way play to the table along with 2 Conn smythe worthy runs as well but Kopitar isn't that sexy fantasy pool guy that attracts a lot of votes in this series of polls it seems.

Still haven't decided between Pronger and Kopitar.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I changed my vote from Pronger to Karlsson. It's hard to argue against three Norris Trophies versus one and his point accumulation over the regular season.

Three norris for Karlsson to 0 for Pronger.

This poll is about seasons 2000-2001 & beyond, so it excludes Pronger's Norris/Hart winning season of 2000. I can get behind Pronger ranking #1 all-time for full career, but not at the 2001 cutoff.

I have some trouble differentiating between EK, Hedman, Doughty, Thornton....lots of good names that are close to be honest. But EK was first is my gut feeling, so voted for him.

Yes among Dmen Pronger seems like the best choice here 11 straight years of huge Minute mucnhing on the back end and an absolute horse in the playoffs.

The problem with his case is the 4 seasons of 51,50,13 and 5 games so someone like Doughty/Hedman and maybe even Keith/EK/BurnsChara has more overall value.

Among forwards I'm seriously considering Thornton who is 3rd in points for the 21st century but Kopitar is 6th and brings that great 2 way play to the table along with 2 Conn smythe worthy runs as well but Kopitar isn't that sexy fantasy pool guy that attracts a lot of votes in this series of polls it seems.

Still haven't decided between Pronger and Kopitar.

Kopitar?

I think Pronger is too early here because of split career - but at least he does have the highs. Kopitar in my mind is at least 10 ranks away, maybe more. Players i feel definitely rank ahead of Kopitar include:

Lunqdvist
Price
Chara
Thornton
Karlsson
Keith
Hedman

and a few other close calls. And that's ignoring Pronger and Jagr with split careers, who I have trouble ranking correctly, but who probably rank ahead still.

Reactions: Hippasus

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Three norris for Karlsson to 0 for Pronger.

This poll is about seasons 2000-2001 & beyond, so it excludes Pronger's Norris/Hart winning season of 2000. I can get behind Pronger ranking #1 all-time for full career, but not at the 2001 cutoff.

I have some trouble differentiating between EK, Hedman, Doughty, Thornton....lots of good names that are close to be honest. But EK was first is my gut feeling, so voted for him.

Kopitar?

I think Pronger is too early here because of split career - but at least he does have the highs. Kopitar in my mind is at least 10 ranks away, maybe more. Players i feel definitely rank ahead of Kopitar include:

Lunqdvist
Price
Chara
Thornton
Karlsson
Keith
Hedman

and a few other close calls. And that's ignoring Pronger and Jagr with split careers, who I have trouble ranking correctly, but who probably rank ahead still.
Kopitar is really getting under rated here IMO but then again scoring seems to be the flavour of the day and in no world would I want EK65 on my team for his career over Prongers 11 years, Keith/Hedman/Doughty just a high event player on the ice and goals coming both ways all too easily to counter the scoring he brings.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Chara. But it's a tough choice. There's lot of options, and it's a pretty wide criteria.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Poll is open for another 10-12 hours so get your votes and suggestions on who to add next.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Lundqvist under appreciated imo. Dude was solidly consistently great which appears to be quite difficult to achieve.

I also think Doughty gets underrated due to the Kings not being very good for a while recently. He was always a great all around defenseman who could do it all. I think there was, at times, a lack of motivation and that is a strike against but the team stuff is outside his control.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe both hard to say as I'm thinking about 6 different guys for this poll.

Chara and Pronger both have really good resumes this Century but so do Doughty/Hedman/Keith/Karlsson

I'm mean do people really value Kucherov and his 9 full seasons (his rookie year isn't noteworthy) over Pronger's full 9 seasons and 2 very limites injury shortened ones?

Honestly I'm not sure that the poll series got that one right and I'm not even sure if Pronger is the best Dman left here..

Hard for me to vote Pronger, yes he was dominant but he retired in 2013 vs the other five you listed who all have an extra 10+ years on him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Poll is open for another 10-12 hours so get your votes and suggestions on who to add next.

You should add both Matthews & Vasi next.

And - that's it. I think all of the next ~10 names are going to come from names already listed (and those 2).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pronger wins this poll next poll is here and I added Matthews, Vasi and MSL as per requests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad