Who is going to surprise this year ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
nylander > marner in 2023-2024 (higher finish in RW all star team voting)

Besides that, Marner has been ahead every regular season except for their rookie years in 2017

Playoffs marner has not been as impactful as nylander since 2019.

2020 vs CBJ ~ Even matchup both get 4 pts in 5 games and play poorly

2021 vs MTL ~ Nylander is clearly best player on the team. Leads the offense with 8 pts in 7 games with kerfoot and galchenyuk vs marner having a bad 4 pts in 7 games with Matthews and Hyman

2022 vs Tampa ~ Even matchup, 8 in 7 va 7 in 7 with marner ahead 1 pt. Nylander plays with tavares the worst playoff player of the core 5 vs Marner getting matthews who was better than Marner that series

2023 vs Tampa - Marner is better with 11 in 6 vs 7 in 6 for Nylander. Both were great, but marner dominated at higher level

2023 vs Florida ~ Even matchup with both guys getting 3 pts in 4 games. Marner game 4 winner, Nylander game 5 tying goal which we cant take advantage of and lose in OT. Both have bad performing series, though nylander generated more chances especially in game 2 where tavares missed 2 tap ins set by Nylandwr

2024 vs Boston ~ Nylander is clearly better despite coming back from alleged concussions. 3 pts in 4 vs 3 pts in 7, and scores the last 3 goals of our playoffs in games 6 and game 7

Nylander has been the better playoff player since he broke out in 2019-2020

When you ignore play and only look at points, yes Marner outscored Nyander most series still, and then when you look at their lines and how often they got scored against, it looks better for Marner, I agree.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander is certified overpaid

Its 100% known

80 in 81
88 in 82
98 in 82

He didnt deserve over 9.5M.

Marner is the better producer in the past and he was likely worth ~11M in regular season. However can he continue to give that type of production despite two down years when stacking up for the top wingers in the league while making 12-13M? Very unlikely tbh

Marner at 10.93M x 8 would be a fair deal however Treliving/Nylander's greed womt allow that as Nylander is 2M overpaid

Matthews should be at ~12.5M x 8
Marner ~11 x 8
Nylander ~9.5M x 8

probably going to be collectively ~4.5M overpaid between the three if they remain similar level players in the reg season as they have the past 3-4 years

Marner would be smart if he took 11.5M as it would make it look like a discount based on Nylander's deal and turn most pressure away from him and onto Nylander. At 12.5 or 13M he will need to win a hart/ross/lindsay or cup+smythe to close to living up to.

He has never been worth 11m ever.

Wn is not worth 11.5m now. He was worth more than 6.9m in the previous contract.

WN and MM are both in the 8.5m to 10m range at the max. Arguments can be made for both but that's probably the real range.

No other team in the league pays the two a dime over 19m combined

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I prefer goals scored myself, but assists earned have value.

I prefer the Belak point system.

Anyway, 100 points is an accepted milestone, but of course it is just like playing 1,000 games, meaningless like other milestones. 50 goals. 50 goals in less than 50 games. Gretzky's totals.

You aren't a 100 point player if you've never scored 100 points.

I think most people point out that Marner produces at a higher than 100 point pace, it seems like people have an issue with this and will quickly point out that he never hit it.

I was pointing out the reality of facts, not individual stats. When someone is implying a lie I can’t help but point it out. I think Jean Chretien said it best:

You were correct someone who never mentioned points by referencing points? Odd.

You seem to care a lot about individual stats.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
When you ignore play and only look at points, yes Marner outscored Nyander most series still, and then when you look at their lines and how often they got scored again, it looks better for Marner, I agree.
Idiot take but expected bias boy

When you ignore the plays on the ice and just look at boxscore you make this type of conclusion

Go look at the goals nylander was on the ice for in MTL, tampa, CBJ and and see how many of them were him coming onto the ice on a line change where the opposing team scores and he gets a minus despite not heing involved in the play (usually marner would be the one changing and avoid this minus)

Nylander has 32 pts in 34 games, playing with Tavares and playing 18-19 lins a game (outside of 24 vs boston where he was the best leaf winger so got a lot more time)

You need to watch actual games and not just make ill-informed posts out of the blue.

@Antropovsky did the digging and showed a bunch of plays where marner lined changed for nylander and avoided a - with this going to nylander as a result

There is no doubt nylandwr has outperformed expectations under his old deal and been the best leaf winger overall these past 5 years in the playoffs. People who use +/- to pretend he has been a poor defensive player don't like to discuss the details of the goals he was on the ice for as they know the outcome doesnt suit their narrative

I am sure you will ignore this if you respond, with a pointless and argumentative post that is wrong and riddled with arrogance. Bias boy stays losing just like his hero the dube

Reactions: Antropovsky

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Idiot take but expected bias boy

When you ignore the plays on the ice and just look at boxscore you make this type of conclusion

Go look at the goals nylander was on the ice for in MTL, tampa, CBJ and and see how many of them were him coming onto the ice on a line change where the opposing team scores and he gets a minus despite not heing involved in the play (usually marner would be the one changing and avoid this minus)

Nylander has 32 pts in 34 games, playing with Tavares and playing 18-19 lins a game (outside of 24 vs boston where he was the best leaf winger so got a lot more time)

You need to watch actual games and not just make ill-informed posts out of the blue.

@Antropovsky did the digging and shoqed a bunch of plays where marner lined changed for nylander and avoided a - with this going to nylander as a result

There is no doubt nylandwr has outperformed expectations under his old deal and been the best leaf winger overall these past 5 years in the playoffs. People who use +/- to pretend he has been a poor defensive player don't like to discuss the details of the goals he was on the ice for as they know the outcome doesnt suit their narrative

I am sure you will ignore this if you respond, with a pointless and argumentative post that is wrong and riddled with arrogance. Bias boy stays losing just like his hero the dube

References boxscores being irrelevant.... makes an entire post on points.... makes sense.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think most people point out that Marner produces at a higher than 100 point pace, it seems like people have an issue with this and will quickly point out that he never hit it.

You were correct someone who never mentioned points by referencing points? Odd.

You seem to care a lot about individual stats.
Your arguing with yourself, I know you don’t have it in you to admit your wrong, go troll someone else’s posts Mr. Most Ironic Name In This Forum…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Your arguing with yourself, I know you don’t have it in you to admit your wrong, go troll someone else’s posts Mr. Most Ironic Name In This Forum…….

Used this name out of irony during the whole Matthews vs Laine debate, told people to look at my name because I clearly can't be bias...

It is shocking that people think this is a serious name.

Anyway, stop bringing up individual stats if you think they are irrelevant.

You quoted a post saying they think Marner will hit 40 goals and then brought up his point totals... makes no sense.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Used this name out of irony during the whole Matthews vs Laine debate, told people to look at my name because I clearly can't be bias...

It is shocking that people think this is a serious name.

Anyway, stop bringing up individual stats if you think they are irrelevant.

You quoted a post saying they think Marner will hit 40 goals and then brought up his point totals... makes no sense.
So appropriate, a not serious name from a not serious poster…….

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Positive Surprise Player: Anthony Stolarz
Negative Surprise Player: Chris Tanev

I can see Stolarz taking a real run at the net this season to become our 1A. On the other hand I can see a world where Chris Tanev's career arch starts to round the corner into becoming a player not worth his lofty offseason deal. I REAAAAAAAALLLY hope I am wrong with that, but If there was a player that I could see fall victim to the annual defensive scape goat, my initial thought was the oft injured over 30 D-man that we could have used 5 years ago. Just seems so fitting for us as a fanbase to finally get the RHD to compliment Reilly perfectly and have him instantly go to shit.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
nylander > marner in 2023-2024 (higher finish in RW all star team voting)

Besides that, Marner has been ahead every regular season except for their rookie years in 2017

Playoffs marner has not been as impactful as nylander since 2019.

2020 vs CBJ ~ Even matchup both get 4 pts in 5 games and play poorly

2021 vs MTL ~ Nylander is clearly best player on the team. Leads the offense with 8 pts in 7 games with kerfoot and galchenyuk vs marner having a bad 4 pts in 7 games with Matthews and Hyman

2022 vs Tampa ~ Even matchup, 8 in 7 va 7 in 7 with marner ahead 1 pt. Nylander plays with tavares the worst playoff player of the core 5 vs Marner getting matthews who was better than Marner that series

2023 vs Tampa - Marner is better with 11 in 6 vs 7 in 6 for Nylander. Both were great, but marner dominated at higher level

2023 vs Florida ~ Even matchup with both guys getting 3 pts in 4 games. Marner game 4 winner, Nylander game 5 tying goal which we cant take advantage of and lose in OT. Both have bad performing series, though nylander generated more chances especially in game 2 where tavares missed 2 tap ins set by Nylandwr

2024 vs Boston ~ Nylander is clearly better despite coming back from alleged concussions. 3 pts in 4 vs 3 pts in 7, and scores the last 3 goals of our playoffs in games 6 and game 7

Nylander has been the better playoff player since he broke out in 2019-2020
Marner padded his stats in the 2023 Tampa series thanks to a sieve Vasilesky, not sure he has ever dominated a playoff series.
Even his “game winner” against Florida was when they were down 3-0 in the series.
He likes to line the box score with irrelevant points

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Positive Surprise Player: Anthony Stolarz
Negative Surprise Player: Chris Tanev

I can see Stolarz taking a real run at the net this season to become our 1A. On the other hand I can see a world where Chris Tanev's career arch starts to round the corner into becoming a player not worth his lofty offseason deal. I REAAAAAAAALLLY hope I am wrong with that, but If there was a player that I could see fall victim to the annual defensive scape goat, my initial thought was the oft injured over 30 D-man that we could have used 5 years ago. Just seems so fitting for us as a fanbase to finally get the RHD to compliment Reilly perfectly and have him instantly go to shit.

Games missed last 4 seasons: (Quickly done corrections welcome.)
Tanev 24.
marner 25.
Matthews 24.
Nylander 6.
Rielly 28.

Maybe the injury factor is overblown right now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Games missed last 4 seasons: (Quickly done corrections welcome.)
Tanev 24.
marner 25.
Matthews 24.
Nylander 6.
Rielly 28.

Maybe the injury factor is overblown right now.
As a life long Leaf fan I can attest to the chances of a player getting injured goes up when he becomes a Leaf. That’s part of the e curse imo…..,.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
doubt under Berube's system 34 doesn't get anywhere close to 70 either, and the team will be all the better for it............

100 points is a milestone, it has nothing to do with ratio math to try and statistically say Marner's achieved 100 points in a season which he hasn't, or are you Leaf Nation's Trent Howard..............
Yup. Some poster go on and on about Marner being a 100 point player but when we point out that he has never reached 100 they pivot to so many points for a reduced number of games. Talk about changing the goal post to prop the guy up

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Wn is not worth 11.5m now. He was worth more than 6.9m in the previous contract.

WN and MM are both in the 8.5m to 10m range at the max. Arguments can be made for both but that's probably the real range.

Tru that

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yup. Some poster go on and on about Marner being a 100 point player but when we point out that he has never reached 100 they pivot to so many points for a reduced number of games. Talk about changing the goal post to prop the guy up
perception is reality for some, living in a world without facts and manufactured lies is no way to go through life imo...........

Reactions: Racer88

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

It's hardy a fair comparison. .

Mitch failed to be a 11M player for years while being $11M cap hit player. Nylander on the other hand played 0 games as 11.5M cap hit.

Considering they are both $9M players, one was paid 7M the other 11M, the one that was 2M underpaid is now 2M overpaid, we just need Mitch to sign his next contract @ 7M AAV.

edit: funny enough that would be under 19M combined

Reactions: thewave and rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes, going back to center after several years of being a winger.

Let's hope they live with the growing pains, so next year there is less pressure to use a 34 35 year old center in that spot.

It's hardy a fair comparison. .

Mitch failed to be a 11M player for years while being $11M cap hit player. Nylander on the other hand played 0 games as 11.5M cap hit.

Considering they are both $9M players, one was paid 7M the other 11M, the one that was 2M underpaid is now 2M overpaid, we just need Mitch to sign his next contract @ 7M AAV.

edit: funny enough that would be under 19M combined
Playoffs top 10 even strength scoring.
In a new position don't know if he holds the lead here.

1726855790893.png

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

View attachment 908254

It's insane how little love Nylander gets for playing with anyone. While Mitch keeps on sponging from Matthews as his fans would tell you.

They keep on sh*ting on Style to justify Mitchs next overpayment. Meanwhile, Styles had a great year taking 7M in cap hit.

The whole core did nothing narrative is strange, WN vastly overperformed his contract last year, yet he is somehow on a useless Mitch level.

We already know WN will suck @11.5M that what Mitch fans keep on spamming, because he can't improve, old as he is. At the same time, they'll tell you Mitch was a kid in April, but he is a man now...

I'm telling you they have double standards on double standards.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
In a new position don't know if he holds the lead here.

View attachment 908254

20 actual goals vs AMs 23 goals is a big consideration. The fact they are coften clutch make it even more so.

My surprise this year is going to be Alex Nylander who will start the first home game opposite Willy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad