Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #24 prospect?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
1. Bo Horvat 62.50%
2. Jake Virtanen 62.92%
3. Hunter Shinkaruk 68.97%
4. Nicklas Jensen 32.81%%
5. Brendan Gaunce 25.36%%
6. Jared Mccann 43.50%
7. Frankie Corrado 40.09%
8. Linden Vey 60.21%
9. Ben Hutton 39.70%
10. Thatcher Demko 61.38%
11. Dane Fox 46.86%
12. Cole Cassel 62.43%
13. Joacim Eriksson29.27%
14. Nikita Tryamkin35.94%
15. Jordon Subban 43.70%
16. Evan McEneny 40.16%
17. Ronalds Kenins 48.09%
18. Michael Zalewski 39.23%
19. Gustav Forsling 36.43%
20. Alexandre Grenier 32.69%
21. Anton Cederholm 27.43%
22. Kellan Lain 27.45%
23. Darren Archibald 45.28

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
McNally has to prove he wants to be a professional hockey player before he gets into the top 25 in my eyes.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Cannata deserves more votes. IMO, he has the most potential out of the remaining players to put together some solid numbers and actually make the NHL in a couple years. He had a rough patch last year, but the entire team did down there.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
as I said previously. We will be lucky to have 6 legit nhl prospects from the current bunch

That's based on past statistics. This team hasn't had 6 first round picks in its prospect pool as long as I can recall. Add in Vey and Corrado who look NHL ready or close to it and the usual unexpected type players like a couple of Fox, Cassels, Hutton and Demko or another surprise player and I thnk we could easily have 9 or 10 legit prospects in this group.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
That's based on past statistics. This team hasn't had 6 first round picks in its prospect pool as long as I can recall. Add in Vey and Corrado who look NHL ready or close to it and the usual unexpected type players like a couple of Fox, Cassels, Hutton and Demko or another surprise player and I thnk we could easily have 9 or 10 legit prospects in this group.

It's so foreign :help:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'd expect at minimum 4 of our top 6 prospects to make it. Along with Corrado and Vey. So that's 6 already. At least 1 of the 4th line guys (Kenins, Archibald, Lain) will probably see more NHL time this year, then add in maybe 2 from the rest (highest probability to Hutton, Demko, Cassels, Fox) and you're looking at 9 of the 25 making the NHL in some capacity. It could all go horribly wrong of course.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I'd expect at minimum 4 of our top 6 prospects to make it.

Depending on your definition of "make it," this seems overly optimistic to me. Gaunce isn't much and Jensen doesn't really impress me. And if you've got 4 guys whom you consider a lock to make it, history tells us that at least 1 won't (I'll go with Shinkaruk,) and probably 2 won't.

I hate to be the party pooper, but you just have to look at history and I hate seeing people set the bar too high.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Depending on your definition of "make it," this seems overly optimistic to me. Gaunce isn't much and Jensen doesn't really impress me. And if you've got 4 guys whom you consider a lock to make it, history tells us that at least 1 won't (I'll go with Shinkaruk,) and probably 2 won't.

I hate to be the party pooper, but you just have to look at history and I hate seeing people set the bar too high.

History shows that that's too pessimistic. Two top ten picks should both make it. Of the other first rounders a three out of four hit rate is pretty reasonable. That's five and then add Corrado and Vey and a couple of the others and you're up to nine. Of course we won't know for a few years but I think too many people are comparing the past prospect pos when we had two or three first rounders.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
as I said previously. We will be lucky to have 6 legit nhl prospects from the current bunch

Depends on how you define legit prospects. Here's the Islanders list from 2008 for example.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=545037&highlight=islanders+prospect+poll+1

12 players will end up with 50+ NHL games on that list (assuming Ness can play another 21 games), and there's another player who played 49 regular season games and is in the KHL now. So it is potentially 13 prospects from that list that made the 50+ game mark, and the Isles only had two 1st rounders as prospects.

The Isles probably have 6 players on that list who are legitimate full-time NHL players (who will play at least a few hundred games in the NHL). With our significantly higher number of 1st round picks, I'd probably estimate that we'd end up with 8, maybe 9 full-time NHL players, plus another 5 or 6 that meet the 50+ game criteria, but spend most of their careers in the minors or overseas.

Last edited:

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Depends on how you define legit prospects. Here's the Islanders list from 2008 for example.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh...rospect+poll+1

12 players will end up with 50+ NHL games on that list (assuming Ness can play another 21 games), and there's another player who played 49 regular season games and is in the KHL now. So it is potentially 13 prospects from that list that made the 50+ game mark, and the Isles only had two 1st rounders as prospects.

The Isles probably have 6 players on that list who are legitimate full-time NHL players (who will play at least a few hundred games in the NHL). With our significantly higher number of 1st round picks, I'd probably estimate that we'd end up with 8, maybe 9 full-time NHL players, plus another 5 or 6 that meet the 50+ game criteria, but spend most of their careers in the minors or overseas.

seems to me that some fans around here went over night from saying the cupboard was empty to being one of the fullest in the NHL. NYI have had nearly 50 top 100 picks in the last 10 years or so--so they have had a better shot then the canucks who have averaged around 2/3 per year in the top 100 per draft. LIke all fan basis I think some people around here have put on extreme homer glasses at looking at most of the prospects we have drafted in the last three year

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh...rospect+poll+1

I think that's pretty reasonable and neither too pessimistic or optimistic. This prospect pool has plenty of depth with 6 first rounders. What it lacks is the high end talent that you generally get in the first three picks. We won't lack for NHL players but we don't have the top line center or defenceman that are the key pieces to build around.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
seems to me that some fans around here went over night from saying the cupboard was empty to being one of the fullest in the NHL. NYI have had nearly 50 top 100 picks in the last 10 years or so--so they have had a better shot then the canucks who have averaged around 2/3 per year in the top 100 per draft. LIke all fan basis I think some people around here have put on extreme homer glasses at looking at most of the prospects we have drafted in the last three year

The prospect pool is primarily composed of players from the last four drafts.

From 2005 to 2008, NYI had 14 picks in the top three rounds, but only 2 in the first round (excluding O'Marra who they traded, so he wasn't part of their prospect pool at the time of the poll). In the last four years the Canucks have had 12 picks in the top three rounds, but 6 in the first round. Plus we've signed a lot more undrafted free agents.

Therefore it seems reasonable to believe that we'd have more full-time NHL prospects than the Isles from their 2008 list, and have at least as many players end up with 50+ games.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
I think that's pretty reasonable and neither too pessimistic or optimistic. This prospect pool has plenty of depth with 6 first rounders. What it lacks is the high end talent that you generally get in the first three picks. We won't lack for NHL players but we don't have the top line center or defenceman that are the key pieces to build around.

Yep, we'll have to hope that someone takes a major step forward in terms of development.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
jeremie blain.

I'd say Jeremie blain is looking like the better prospect at this point than mcnally. from all reports, he looked good at the echl and ahl level, and he has the size and skill and upside to be a bonafide nhl player. mcnally hasn't demonstrated enough for me

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Labate needs more love. I think he has a far better chance of one day cracking our roster than McNally does at this point. For a big guy he doesn't really play like a grinder either. I could see him being a solid 3rd or 4th line centre one day.

Does anyone know if he's played wing before? We have quite a few centres in the system now who I would be hesitant to move to wing because of their defense and face-off prowess.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Dear God, I was voting Archibald 6 polls in a row.

On to Labate.

Agreed. Him and Lain should be higher (they both have reasonable shots at being full time 4th liners), which I value over guys like Kenins/Zalewski/Cederholm who are still huge wildcards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad