Who is Canada rooting for?

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
All the casuals I've spoken to are pulling for the Jets.

They don't have the joy of building up immense piles of dislike on the backs of what a few anonymous posters say on the interwebz.

Reactions: Stej

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Its mostly the young hardcore edgelord types who go on with 'I'd never cheer for another Canadian team!! NEVARRR!'
Most are pretty neutral about it, certain rivalries notwithstanding. Growing up in BC, we hated the Leafs, Habs and Oilers, and were pretty neutral about Calgary, Winnipeg and Quebec.
So I guess Ottawa is even less than neutral or shall I say hyper neutral hey!

Reactions: byrath

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I know a lot of you are thinking: Canada is cheering for Winnipeg since it's the last Canadian city in the playoffs, but that's complete bull**** IMO. Cheering for Winnipeg is like the US cheering for Alaska, nobody in Canada really cares about Winnipeg (other than people living there). It would be a shame if the first Canadian team in 20+ years to win the Cup is Winnipeg. All the other teams make sense, but Winnipeg? Hahaha no...

I hope Nashville smashes Winnipeg in Game 7. Go Subban!!!

Anyway, vote away.
How’s this working out for you?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Jet fans since the WHA days this by far the most fun I've had in the NHL PO's. If other Canadian care or not is their business not mine. I just hope if the Jets go all the way that the ones that are actively cheering against the Jets can admit they are a good team.

Reactions: ItchyScratchy77

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So I guess Ottawa is even less than neutral or shall I say hyper neutral hey!

You would think so, but people hate politicians, and assume that we clone them here or something as opposed to them sending their dregs here to represent them.

But yes, otherwise forgotten about altogether.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
If the Jets continue to roll......some posters better order some fries, to go with all the salt.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
The NHL is a collection of clubs. It's not international hockey. After my team is eliminated I cheer for favorite players and/or the most entertaining teams. I love Ovi, so I am cheering for him.

Winnipeg is playing some fun hockey though, so I think they deserve whatever success they find, but I don't feel any Nationalistic impulse to cheer for them. They're just another team in the NHL to me. The only "Canada's Team" is team Canada. I pretty much expect most hockey fans to feel the same way: Your team first, their strongest rivals last, and everyone else somewhere in between. No one is obliged to cheer for another team based on location.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vegas is the most Canadian team remaining. Winnipeg is the only team left who isn't mainly comprised of Canadian players.
Winnipeg has always been comfortable with a cosmopolitan team... Sjoberg, Nilsson, Hedberg, Lindstrom, Kent Nilsson, Zhamnov, Selanne, Numminen, Khabibulin, etc., etc. It fits the identity of Winnipeg as a city of immigrants. I think that's very Canadian. I tolerate Don Cherry, but don't accept the excessive zenophobia. If Canadians think a team in Las Vegas is more "Canadian", I'm fine with that, but this Jets team suits Winnipeg and its history to a tee.

jetsy

Arny Palmy alert!
Feb 14, 2012
Winnipeg Arena
The only maple leaf getting close to a cup this year is on a Jets jersey! That being said, I'm a homer (duh?) and it's all in good fun.

I never picked another team after the Jets left. Watching the Canadian teams in the finals in the last decade and a half was fun to watch and it would have been kinda cool to see a Canadian cup team again. It still kinda would be, honestly. BUT! Jets are back and they're still in it. THEY are who I cheer for and THEY are who I want to see hoist the cup every year. I never had that feeling for any other team when they were gone.

Canadians wouldn't cheer for Team (Insert Country Here) and that makes sense. I just don't get why the country would get behind a city's team because they were Canadian. I don't care about being the first Canadian team to win the cup in 25 years because being the second to win in 26 years would be just as sweet. Maybe it's because the Jets were gone for 15 years that any success they have is tremendous and exciting and fun and all the good things. I'm most excited for my team and if another team wins, well that's ok. I just want my team to be number 1.

Reactions: libertarian

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The only maple leaf getting close to a cup this year is on a Jets jersey! That being said, I'm a homer (duh?) and it's all in good fun.

I never picked another team after the Jets left. Watching the Canadian teams in the finals in the last decade and a half was fun to watch and it would have been kinda cool to see a Canadian cup team again. It still kinda would be, honestly. BUT! Jets are back and they're still in it. THEY are who I cheer for and THEY are who I want to see hoist the cup every year. I never had that feeling for any other team when they were gone.

Canadians wouldn't cheer for Team (Insert Country Here) and that makes sense. I just don't get why the country would get behind a city's team because they were Canadian. I don't care about being the first Canadian team to win the cup in 25 years because being the second to win in 26 years would be just as sweet. Maybe it's because the Jets were gone for 15 years that any success they have is tremendous and exciting and fun and all the good things. I'm most excited for my team and if another team wins, well that's ok. I just want my team to be number 1.

I agree with this. It does not matter if the Jets are the first team to bring the cup back to Canada as long as they finally win a cup. As a Jet fan this all I want to see , if the Jets are the first Canadian team to do in 25 years, Great! But that is only icing on the cake. Winning is the most important thing.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I want a Winnipeg and Washington final.

With a slight edge to Washington winning since ovi running out of time.

Love Vegas but don't want to see an expansion team win

Reactions: Eyeseeing

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm firmly on "Team Anyone But The Eastern Teams".

Don't care who comes out of either conference finals, as long as whoevever wins the WCF takes the Cup.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I understand why other Canadian fan bases might not cheer us on. We are a professional sports team not a national sports team, no offense taken. Which brings me to my biggest pet peeve, why must Canadians cheer on the Blue Jays or Raptors? They are located in Canada but are most certainly not our national sports teams. Both teams barley have any Canadians on them. Drives me nuts when people cheer on them because they are "Canadian". Maybe being a life long New York Yankees fan has made me feel this way.

Because from a young age, those teams are forced down your throat, as those are the teams in their respective sports in which our Canadian media covers. Watching a Jays game right now :)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I want a Winnipeg and Washington final.

With a slight edge to Washington winning since ovi running out of time.

Love Vegas but don't want to see an expansion team win

Would make for a great story between a kid and his idol. Laine vs Ovi.

If Ovi wins it will be a season for the ages and Laine will get to not only watch his 600th career goal in person only a foot away, but also come in 2nd place to Ovi in his second season for the Rocket race and then lose to his idol in the SCF but also get to watch his idol lift the Cup. Not only would that be something every kid dreams of but just imagine how much of a fire that would light under Laine's ass going forward.

Reactions: jefferoni

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
In fairness, Winnipeg has had easier matchups. Some HF posters would even say “sheltered” matchups relative to Toronto’s path.

;)

Lol Toronto only lasted 1 round... How can you say Leafs had harder matchups if they couldn’t get past one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad