Who Has The Better Team , Colorado Or Vegas ?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
makar is the better player today. And most likely in the future. So the easily over makar is pretty homerish

Is he going to win the Norris trophy every year? I doubt it. Bouchard will probably get a nod if he keeps on producing at the rate he has been on the last two seasons eventually.

Last edited:

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Europe
Of squads, both are a contender but next season not their season, I predict both outside playoffs, MacKinnon does not deliver up to last season's class and Eichel, Theodore and Pietrangelo underperformed.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Of squads, both are a contender but next season not their season, I predict both outside playoffs, MacKinnon does not deliver up to last season's class and Eichel, Theodore and Pietrangelo underperformed.

What other 2 Western teams do you have replacing Vegas and the Avs in the playoffs? Genuinely curious. I predict both of these squads in. Avs probably 3rd in Central/wildcard and Vegas 3rd in Pacific/wildcard as well.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I believe Vegas has the better roster top to bottom. Colorado has the better top 2 or 3 guys, but Vegas is superior in net and has a much deeper group of skaters, especially on the blue line.

I would put both in the upper half of the second tier of contenders in the Western Conference.

Reactions: WhataKnight

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I mean, okay, but ... who cares?

McDavid is clearly a tier ahead of MacKinnon and Draisaitl is a significant upgrade on Rantanen so the difference between Bouchard and Makar would have to be absolutely enormous for it to matter in the slightest.

I don’t see how the difference between Makar and Bouchard is any different from Draisaitl and Rantanen. Draisaitl and Makar have both had better seasons than their most recent ones. So either you use the most recent seasons, which minimizes the gap between both sets. Or you use peak, which maximizes the difference. But you can’t mix and match.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think they're pretty close this year. Injuries and the Landeskog/Nuke question marks could decide it.

Pietrangelo is already showing age and when that fully hits him I think it's going to tank Vegas. Neither of Hanifin or Theodore are #1 D capable leading a defensive group. It's exactly what happened to the Blues when they lost Pietro.

Avs have a bit more runway left in them, Toews is their oldest core member at 30.

But to be clear, I fully believe both these teams are done seriously competing for more cups. I believe the cup stays out easy for the next small handful of years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t see how the difference between Makar and Bouchard is any different from Draisaitl and Rantanen. Draisaitl and Makar have both had better seasons than their most recent ones. So either you use the most recent seasons, which minimizes the gap between both sets. Or you use peak, which maximizes the difference. But you can’t mix and match.

If you don't see much of a different between Rantanen and Draisaitl, there really isn't much of a conversation to be had here.

Draisital has three 50-goal seasons and two more 40+ goal seasons. He has a career best of 128 points in a season, and he's scored over one hundred points five times in his career. He also has 108 points in 74 playoff games.

Rantanen has one fifty goal season and only one other year where he eclipsed 40. He has two season over 100 points, with a career best of 105. He has 101 points in 81 playoff games.

If you're having a hard time seeing the difference between these guys, I really don't know what to tell you. They aren't on the same level.

Reactions: MBTendy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Is he going to win the Norris trophy every year? I doubt it. Bouchard will probably get a nod if he keeps on producing at the rate he has been on the last two seasons eventually.
Honestly, and I like Bouchard more than most, I doubt that he ever wins a Norris given the competition out there and I also don't think that he plays enough MPG although that could change.

Some excellent current Dmen are never going to win the Norris.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Avs

Nuke will be back and still should be an excellent player. Not expecting Landeskog to do much.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you don't see much of a different between Rantanen and Draisaitl, there really isn't much of a conversation to be had here.

Draisital has three 50-goal seasons and two more 40+ goal seasons. He has a career best of 128 points in a season, and he's scored over one hundred points five times in his career. He also has 108 points in 74 playoff games.

Rantanen has one fifty goal season and only one other year where he eclipsed 40. He has two season over 100 points, with a career best of 105. He has 101 points in 81 playoff games.

If you're having a hard time seeing the difference between these guys, I really don't know what to tell you. They aren't on the same level.

And Makar has a Norris and a Conn Smythe while Bouchard has one 80 point season. If you can’t see the difference there, I also don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: coooldude

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Probably the better question is whether either the Avs or Knights can stay healthy as they have both been bitten terribly by the injury bug in recent years.

Otherwise, it will be hard to know what the Knights are going to be like until probably December as they have undergone some dramatic personnel changes, but which presumably are designed to better fit the Cassidy system (or "Perpetual Turtling" as we like to call it, though we really don't like it at all).

Would only point out that since they were formed, the Knights have never looked good on paper, i.e., on paper they are always one giant "meh".

In McCrimmon We Trust.

pockets321

May 4, 2022

One of these players actually cares about what's happening in the defensive zone.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Tough to say. Vegas lost players, but... they had time to recharge and Cassidy should have them prepared. Meanwhile, MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Makar could carry the Avs to the top in the West again.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Colorado is still in the upper tier of the league. Vegas an one injury away to Eichel from being a basement team.

Pretty easy choice here.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I mean, okay, but ... who cares?

McDavid is clearly a tier ahead of MacKinnon and Draisaitl is a significant upgrade on Rantanen so the difference between Bouchard and Makar would have to be absolutely enormous for it to matter in the slightest.
most consider makar to be the second best player in the nhl. So it’s more makar vs drai and rants vs bouch

Mcdavid still couples Btw

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Probably the better question is whether either the Avs or Knights can stay healthy as they have both been bitten terribly by the injury bug in recent years.

Otherwise, it will be hard to know what the Knights are going to be like until probably December as they have undergone some dramatic personnel changes, but which presumably are designed to better fit the Cassidy system (or "Perpetual Turtling" as we like to call it, though we really don't like it at all).

Would only point out that since they were formed, the Knights have never looked good on paper, i.e., on paper they are always one giant "meh".

In McCrimmon We Trust.

I was going to call one thing out….

If one were to wave a wand and make it so both teams were suddenly granted a perfect bill of health, I’d be putting the cumulative impact of Eichel, Stone, Hertl, Hill just a tick above Landeskog/Nichushkin.

As close as the teams are through wildly different approaches, the Avs have a more explosive team with gaps from injury while that same on/off switch for injuries gives Vegas the silly depth advantage.

They’re both in that tier of teams ready to send Edmonton to therapy:

Tier 1: EDM
Tier 2: COL/VGK/VAN/DAL
Tier 3: NSH^/LA/STL

The Oilers have an advantage……that said, the West is kinda like a World Cup “Group of Death.”

Reactions: hangman005

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
moving the goalposts. So you say I’m wrong and bring up mcdavid/drai as your proof. Dude do better
You’re the one moving the goalposts by trying to isolate the comparison to just the dmen involved.

most consider makar to be the second best player in the nhl. So it’s more makar vs drai and rants vs bouch

Mcdavid still couples Btw
Dude McDavid is way ahead of MacKinnon. And why are you comparing dmen to wingers? You’re out to lunch, here.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad