Who Has The Better Team , Colorado Or Vegas ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
When Nichushkin is in the lineup that team is a different animal, 10 points in 8 playoff games this year after a good showing in the 2022 playoffs.....We'll see how his whole situation plays out but i gotta assume he's gonna be there come playoff time........Nor sure Georgiev is the guy to take them to a championship though.......Would rather have Adin Hill...

Marchessault a big loss for Vegas i think.......They still do have the potential to have really good depth up the middle and on defense......We'll see how their depth works out on the Wings...........

Coaches are close but i'll give Cassidy a slight edge.....

So who do you guys think is better ? I could see the Av's getting more points than them in the regular season but if they meet up in a playoff series i think i would take Vegas......

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson down the middle with a top 5 blueline is still a contender IMO. I think both teams have a chance to be very good again depending on injuries & goaltending. I do think the secondary scoring Edmonton added puts them on another level from the rest of the west, with the possible exception of Dallas. Nashville is also positioned to jump into the mix as well. I am still not sold on Vancouver.

Edmonton
Dallas
Nashville/Colorado/Vegas

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Avs are impossible to judge because we have no idea what's going to happen with Landeskog and Nichushkin. Last time both guys were playing, the Avs were hoisting the cup. Without those guys in the lineup, the Avs have a $77m roster and you should expect commensurate results. I'm not making any predictions on the Avs season until about game 10.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Without Landeskog Colorado doesn't have enough depth and/or maturity to be a serious contender.

At one end of the spectrum, you have a true warrior in Landeskog sidelined by a physical injury. Then, at the other end, you have a warrior sidelined by a psychological/emotional injury. It’s true. The Avs are caught in between.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
The Avs are impossible to judge because we have no idea what's going to happen with Landeskog and Nichushkin. Last time both guys were playing, the Avs were hoisting the cup. Without those guys in the lineup, the Avs have a $77m roster and you should expect commensurate results. I'm not making any predictions on the Avs season until about game 10.
I'm no medical expert, but i just wonder how close Landeskog can be to his old self even if he does come back.......Av's are still a legit threat if they get really good goaltending........Just not sure Georgiev is the answer though......

Reactions: tucker3434

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson down the middle with a top 5 blueline is still a contender IMO. I think both teams have a chance to be very good again depending on injuries & goaltending. I do think the secondary scoring Edmonton added puts them on another level from the rest of the west, with the possible exception of Dallas. Nashville is also positioned to jump into the mix as well. I am still not sold on Vancouver.

Edmonton
Dallas
Nashville/Colorado/Vegas
Good post but i'm not sure about Dallas though.......Their vetrans will be another year older and have another 82 game season of mileage on them by the time the playoffs start...Their young guys are good but not quite sure if it's enough if their vetrans decline.....If Oettinger goes plays lights out in the playoffs that could go a long way though......

Reactions: MNRube

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Only two teams in the West that have won with their current core (aside from the Kings I guess).

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Vegas without Marchessault, Pietrangelo slowing down and Stone’s health always a question mark, doesn’t feel that scary. Colorado’s depth has taken a hit without Nuke but I think their stars make them the better squad
This. Vegas stars in Piet and stone going into the mid 30’s is a detriment. Colorado has some goaltending and depth issues, but their stars are still in their prime for a few years more. Colorado

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Colorado with Landeskog and Nichushkin are a very deep team. But without those two they're likely a 1st or 2nd round exit team again.

Both versions are better than Vegas now though IMO. They lost so many pieces this summer and really didn't add anyone of value. I think they're going to struggle to make playoffs.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Can't count out Vegas imo....

They have a chance to be elite or close to it in net, on defense, centre , and coaching....

Reactions: WhataKnight

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would say Vegas because Adin Hill is way better than Georgeiv, that skews a lot of things.

Even though Marchessault is a huge loss for them and they're not as good as the team they used to be.

Call when Bouchard wins a norris

I mean if he keeps putting up numbers like he has been, it's probably only a matter of time.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Colorado with Landeskog and Nichushkin are a very deep team. But without those two they're likely a 1st or 2nd round exit team again.

Both versions are better than Vegas now though IMO. They lost so many pieces this summer and really didn't add anyone of value. I think they're going to struggle to make playoffs.
I mean, they kinda add Hertl, he didn't really get his feet under him in the few games he played.

I would easily put McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard ahead of that trio.
yah, those 3 show they can carry a team further with a lack of depth than Mack, Rants and Makar. Seems like they can only go deep if they are a super team. Oilers showed they can make the conference finals with just 3 players.

also, Drai is so much ahead of Rants, and Mcdavid is on a tier above Mack, that the difference between Makar and Bouchard, doesnt mean much.

Reactions: MoneyManny

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As an Oiler fan, I’ll give Colorado the slight edge because they have the bigger impact players. I put MacKinnon and Makar above Eichel easily, then Rantanen is close to on par Eichel (slight edge to Eichel). Granted impact players vs better depth is another debate altogether, but I feel depth is acquired much easier, particularly for a contender that wheels and deals at the deadline.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For Colorado, the Nuke and Landeskog situations combined are probably crippling as it stands, in terms of positioning them as one of the top tier group of favorites. Lots of wait and see here. Hard to classify them as anything more than "dangerous" as it is.

You're talking about a team that now hasn't had their Cup winning long-time captain (who was playing at a 95 point pace when last healthy) for two years and a guy in Nuke who I honestly think was probably the Avs second best forward last year, all things considered, *when available*. He's such a monster on the ice which makes the issues these past two playoffs feel so, so ruinous.

Does Landeskog try to come back? If he does, how rusty will he be? Or will even a diminished Landeskog provide a huge moral boost to the team? If he does retire or fully LTIR-ed, how is that cap used? What do they do with Nuke? Does he get a third chance? Would it be a locker room issue? Could they trade him just to get cap space back even if they wanted to?

So many questions that cannot be answered right now. I think you have to go with Vegas because of that. Much safer choice. The defensive core is absurd.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
It’s really kind of a wash.

Tempted to say Colorado, but Vegas’ defensive depth is a step above, and it’s easier for anyone playing against Vegas to get goalie’d than it is to hit the same barrier with the Avs.

COL outscores a team by bushels; VGK chokes a team out and scores timely goals.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I would say Vegas because Adin Hill is way better than Georgeiv, that skews a lot of things.

Even though Marchessault is a huge loss for them and they're not as good as the team they used to be.

I mean if he keeps putting up numbers like he has been, it's probably only a matter of time.
makar is the better player today. And most likely in the future. So the easily over makar is pretty homerish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad