Who had the Worse offseason?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I feel like it’s hard to top LA. Pretty much every move made them worse, despite being a team who was really needing some upgrades to try and get over the hump. It more or less works out to Arvidsson out for Foegele, Dubois out for Jeannot, Roy out for Edmundson, and Talbot out for Kuemper

Not sure if joking but replacing Talbot with Kuemper wont make them worse but is a bit of a risk. Arvidsson barely played so not sure why you think thts a downgrade. PLD is finally gone and they didnt even have to give up assets for him thats a huge win by itself. And as far I know Edmundson is not replacing Roy but Clarke is. While Jeannot adds something they lacked in the bottom-6.

Not sure how they are worse except for the question mark that is Clarke.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
What if said team signs a ton of free agents but all to super short deals that can be easily navigated around in the worst case scenarios?
Does that ever happen?
A bunch of UFA's sign short team friendly deals with no NMC's and no signing bonuses. I think you might be dreaming, that doesn't happen. The majority of UFA contracts are not good.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Does that ever happen?
A bunch of UFA's sign short team friendly deals with no NMC's and no signing bonuses. I think you might be dreaming, that doesn't happen. The majority of UFA contracts are not good.
ironically Oilers this off season so far has done that. If Jeff Skinner becomes a complete liability, it's only a year. If Arvidsson gets injured it's LTIR.

Reactions: HabsQC

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Carolina reminds me of the Ducks before they were putrid. They kind of just kept cycling guys in and out through the years and remained commited to getting back picks and developing prospects and then letting guys go when they reached the last few of their prime years.

In the end, the Canes will likely never win a cup because they never go for it. They never go all in.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I feel like I constantly just shake my head when reading 75% of other Penguins fans inputs on things.

How in the hell could they have had the worst offseason? A middling team that will continue to be middling. It’s not like they lost anyone to make them worse. Just haven’t gotten better either.

This discussion should revolve around teams that actually had a shot at winning a cup.

I agree that Carolina def took the biggest step back. Vancouver looks shaky on paper compared to last year as well.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Carolina reminds me of the Ducks before they were putrid. They kind of just kept cycling guys in and out through the years and remained commited to getting back picks and developing prospects and then letting guys go when they reached the last few of their prime years.

In the end, the Canes will likely never win a cup because they never go for it. They never go all in.

I'm a 100% biased as a Habs fan for what I will say but I'll say it anyway.

To me, their best shot was the last year they had Trocheck. They could have used the 6.1M$ of cap space, the 1st and the 3rd they used in that stupid KK offer sheet to actually get better. They probably could have re-signed Trocheck as well. Ironically enough, he bit them in the ass this year in the playoffs, didn't he ? All while KK sucked big time since they acquired him.

They did get a lot more followers on Twitter though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Dubois was addition by subtraction, but blowing that savings on the rest was an absolute loss for sure. Especially when Jeannot bolts in FA, or get signed to a bloated contract.

Blake is quite possibly the worst GM in the league. Meddling from the rest of the front office aside.

Dubois out is great in theory, but it’s a lot harder to hide Kemper than Dubois when they’re struggling.

Not sure if joking but replacing Talbot with Kuemper wont make them worse but is a bit of a risk. Arvidsson barely played so not sure why you think thts a downgrade. PLD is finally gone and they didnt even have to give up assets for him thats a huge win by itself. And as far I know Edmundson is not replacing Roy but Clarke is. While Jeannot adds something they lacked in the bottom-6.

Not sure how they are worse except for the question mark that is Clarke.

LA replaced a .913 goalie with a .890 goalie. If Kuemper doesn’t bounce back in a big way, he’s definitely a downgrade.

I’m just talking players in vs players out. Clarke was already there last year. He’s not a new addition. If some young guys can take a step that’s great, but the vets that moved in/out are a clear step back for LA.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think the Canes aren't the worst because they at least came up with relatively inexpensive stopgaps, even if said stopgaps aren't going to be nearly as good. By comparison, I think Jets the biggest loser, they shed Dillon, Schimdt, Monahan, Toffoli, Broissoit and didn't do anything to replace them. Ditto for the Knights, they lost Marchessault, Stephenson, Thompson, Mantha, Carrier, and their best incoming player is Holtz. The Stars seemed to be aggressive bringing in new players to replace Pavelski & Tanev, but the new players really suck.
The only one that really matters out of those players is Marchessault.

No way would i have payed Stephenson that much money for 7 years. Just yuck.
Mantha is garbage
While Carrier is a good player, he spent a ton of time on the injured list this season

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Carolina.

They paid for Guentzel thinking they can keep him and got stuck with nothing.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know, maybe I have a new perspective now with the Canucks being in competition again and this goes more towards Carolina now but something doesn't seem right about saying a team 'lost the offseason' when the primary player(s) leaving were trade deadline rentals.

Yes Carolina wanted to resign Guentzel, but they aren't really starting this season worse than they started last season, and they can just rent someone else out at the deadline to bolster their lineup for the playoffs.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think the Canes regression is greatly exaggerated.

Let's keep in mind they've been a top team in the League even when Guentzel wasn't around.

2 years ago they finished 2nd place, biggest changes from that team to this team are Skjei, Pesce and Teravainen out - Orlov, Walker and Roslovic/Kuzy in. Also Jarvis, Drury and Chatfield have been progressing since then.

It's all doom and gloom now as they missed their chance to win with Guentzel and Orlov on the 3rd pair, but those were luxuries for a cap team. It might take some time to get used to the changes, but something would have to seriously go wrong for this team to "not be competitive".

Kings off-season was really meh, and if Kuemper/Jeannot continue to perform like they have recently those are bad players to add. Arvidsson was good when he was in the lineup and while Dubois didn't do a whole lot, a young guy will have to step up and do something otherwise this forward group doesn't feel good enough. Same thing on defense after they lost Roy.

Seattle and Minnesota are strong bounce-back candidates for me, so the Kings are in real danger of missing the playoffs this year.

Also Buffalo was disappointing. I really believe in this team after what I saw the last few months of the season, but they buy out Skinner and bring in Zucker and some grinding depth. That's underwhelming considering the cap space they're sitting on. But I also get that they have to earn better reputation before good FA's sign there.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm a 100% biased as a Habs fan for what I will say but I'll say it anyway.

To me, their best shot was the last year they had Trocheck. They could have used the 6.1M$ of cap space, the 1st and the 3rd they used in that stupid KK offer sheet to actually get better. They probably could have re-signed Trocheck as well. Ironically enough, he bit them in the ass this year in the playoffs, didn't he ? All while KK sucked big time since they acquired him.

They did get a lot more followers on Twitter though.
They are way to risk adverse. Only making moves if they are clearly good for them right away. Not willing to pay up for that extra. Letting all their pending ufas typically leave because they don't want to get caught with a less than ideal contract. Ironically them with that thinking led them to having kotka over keeping trocheck lmao.

Reactions: HabsQC

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
The Canes they lost 2 top 4 d-man a top 6 forward and a 4th line center

They also did nothing remotely enough to replace them.

They didnt address the goaltending situation

Also The Leafs

Paying too much for Tanev for too long, Signing OEL, Not addressing the Goaltending issue

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Carolina.

They paid for Guentzel thinking they can keep him and got stuck with nothing.

Hmm. Doesn't Carolina still have to sign Necas , Jarvis and Drury somehow? No way they could fit all those players under the cap.
Think the expectation was that they would be stuck with nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad