Who had the Worse offseason?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Hey I watched CJ talk about how he thought Carolina had the worse draft and free agency.
Discussed about how they lost too much to be competitive next year.
Now I do believe they had good signings like Slavin and Necas will most likely be kept but it does seem to sting so many free agents straight up left and they didn't choose to keep any of them.

I thought to myself it's Pittsburgh as they did not really move anything and kept status quo on a roster that missed the playoffs twice in a row now. I felt a shake up would have been great. We also lacked a 1st so that hurts the grade as well.

Let me know who you think and why?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina was always going to lose depth this offseason. It was obvious years ago when you saw so many good contracts expiring at the same time on the cap chart. The aggregate value of that final roster was over $91 mil in 24-25 cap hits before accounting for Necas, Jarvis and Drury.

I feel like had Orlov been acquired this Summer, therefore ending up on the add/subtract list, rather than graduating up the lineup, the perception about the team would be different. They’re not replacing an entire 2nd pair in quality. He’s an established Top 4 D. A year into the system and with a big contract on the line, he’s primed for a good season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Seeing as Pittsburgh have still foolishly refused to fire Sullivan…it’s them.

Can’t wait to read they missed the playoffs for a third straight year…oh goodie!!!! :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:
I'm certainly looking forward to it. :nod: ;)

Meanwhile, I continue to be grumpy about the lack of any added shutdown blueliners here in Columbus. Not enough for "worst", but still. Grar.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I think the Canes aren't the worst because they at least came up with relatively inexpensive stopgaps, even if said stopgaps aren't going to be nearly as good. By comparison, I think Jets the biggest loser, they shed Dillon, Schimdt, Monahan, Toffoli, Broissoit and didn't do anything to replace them. Ditto for the Knights, they lost Marchessault, Stephenson, Thompson, Mantha, Carrier, and their best incoming player is Holtz. The Stars seemed to be aggressive bringing in new players to replace Pavelski & Tanev, but the new players really suck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina lost some guys for sure, but they'll still be competitive. Pittsburgh did basically nothing and clearly needed to, I vote them.
I think the basis is more based on where they were last season and their expectations. Hard to improve in net and Carolina stood pat there. Lost 2 solid Vets on D who were like 30 years old, so will notice that dropoff. These are not a pair of 35 year olds leaving. Still in their primes for another say 3 seasons or so. But, that's the reality of contracts. TT, no loss there. Have kids to make up for that fairly easily.

Nothing from Pitt to indicate anything better than what they were last season heading into the new year.

Anaheim, really depending on the kids to take a big step. Thought they would have been more active and shoot for something above Fabbri and dum (but not big game hunting). More trade in trying to acquire vets teams are looking to move off just to make a change, be it like a JG Pageau of NYI, Saad from STL, or others like that calibre of veteran. Not a salary cap dump. But, guessing they landed on the MNTC list of most vets. Losing team for 6 seasons now and more travel the most likely reason for them being on the list for veterans.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The only positive thing was acquiring a 2nd round pick from the Blues in the Hayes trade this off season!! Pretty f***ing sad! We need to rebuild, enough with the Sid-Geno-Letang- EK etc... move everyone. If you didn't keep Jake, no point keeping others ...

Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
The team that signs the least free agents on July 1st is usually the winner in the long run.

I'm so glad the Habs didn't sign anyone. There wasn't many great contacts handled this july 1st. Of course we weren't quite there given our rebuild situation, but sometimes GM tend to sign someone anyway.

Reactions: kevistar

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Carolina lost some guys for sure, but they'll still be competitive. Pittsburgh did basically nothing and clearly needed to, I vote them.
See I think I see some of the argument for them being amongst the worse.

They downgraded in some areas and they currently are expected to be contenders.
I think they navigated well but possibly took a step back in contender status.
Perhaps keeping a forward or defensemen would change things.
I know Carolina has a okay you are this age and we refuse to overpay but sometimes to get over that hump you need to overpay a guy to keep them.

Anyways we can wait and see going into next year. Maybe they surprise us all but definitely can see the case why people have them amongst the worst.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I feel like it’s hard to top LA. Pretty much every move made them worse, despite being a team who was really needing some upgrades to try and get over the hump. It more or less works out to Arvidsson out for Foegele, Dubois out for Jeannot, Roy out for Edmundson, and Talbot out for Kuemper

No it doesn’t more or less equate to that.

Edmundson is an upgrade over Englund.

Clarke is replacing Roy.

PLD needed to go, Arvidsson barely played, and now they have more minutes available for Byfield, Turcotte, and Thomas.

Foegele and Jeannot also add a dimension that they needed in the bottom six.

Talbot was god awful in the playoffs, and it remains to be seen if it was a one off bad year for Kuemper. I’d call that one a wash.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think the Canes aren't the worst because they at least came up with relatively inexpensive stopgaps, even if said stopgaps aren't going to be nearly as good. By comparison, I think Jets the biggest loser, they shed Dillon, Schimdt, Monahan, Toffoli, Broissoit and didn't do anything to replace them. Ditto for the Knights, they lost Marchessault, Stephenson, Thompson, Mantha, Carrier, and their best incoming player is Holtz. The Stars seemed to be aggressive bringing in new players to replace Pavelski & Tanev, but the new players really suck.
the biggest question mark for the jets is if samberg can replace dillon, miller can replace schmidt, heinola takes samberg spot and were going into the season with the exact same forward group we started with last year, really isn't as bad as it seems

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I feel like it’s hard to top LA. Pretty much every move made them worse, despite being a team who was really needing some upgrades to try and get over the hump. It more or less works out to Arvidsson out for Foegele, Dubois out for Jeannot, Roy out for Edmundson, and Talbot out for Kuemper
Dubois was addition by subtraction, but blowing that savings on the rest was an absolute loss for sure. Especially when Jeannot bolts in FA, or get signed to a bloated contract.

Blake is quite possibly the worst GM in the league. Meddling from the rest of the front office aside.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Mantha is certainly not a loss. They gain by subtraction. Unless you want to waste a roster spot on a very skilled guy who refuses to have any drive to be really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad