Who else has very little interest in the Four Nations tournament?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I'll say it, this is borderline exhibition hockey to me. The 2026 Olympics will be a blast. I can't wait. I don't like the idea of Russia not playing in it as it takes away what could be such great hockey, and it penalizes a lot of players that have nothing to do with anything going on in the world. Too many great players in the NHL on Russia not being able to showcase their talent or play for their country either in the 4 Nations in 2025 or possibly even the Olympics. Not good. So that alone makes it less competitive for me and I for one have never liked boycotting and not allowing a country to compete in things like this.

Secondly, how much of an exhibition-like feel will this have? Is McDavid going to go full out for this tournament? Will Makar and MacKinnon play hard against Rantanen two days after playing together in Colorado? I think there is more to lose with the Olympics but my thought is that this won't be the competitive tournament in 2025 that some might think it will be. The Olympics is the Olympics. Mario and Yzerman certainly cost themselves a bit healthwise by playing in 2002. But it was worth it. Would anyone do this in 2025?

Thoughts?

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
Seems like a way for the NHL to try out new rules, and for your regular stable of players to get injured outside of important stuff like season or playoff wins.

However- if the players are psyched and the hockey is fantastic - I’m all in.

How difficult will it be to watch tho - seems like it’s tricky to watch games now.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
we'll see how we all feel once the thing starts, it's basically like an appetizer to the Olympics. I suspect whichever country wins it will act like it's really important and the others will say it's irrelevant.

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
Could not care less. But maybe if they keep this tradition going long term it could eventually feel important and become exciting. Also, no Russia is a negative.

Reactions: PaulD

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
we'll see how we all feel once the thing starts, it's basically like an appetizer to the Olympics. I suspect whichever country wins it will act like it's really important and the others will say it's irrelevant.

As a Canadian obviously it is nice to see Canada win. But for one, there is no Russia, so that is like starting the NHL playoffs and taking away a top contender of two and then acting as if nothing happened. Secondly, how will the players view it? To me the 2026 Olympics is the true test to who is the best. And I think this even if Canada wins.

Reactions: Voight

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I feel like the NHL Media is trying to hype it up as big as they can because it's the first international competition in several years. From a guy living in the Bay Area, I don't really have an interest in it yet and I'm bummed that the break in the schedule in February will just extend the season more. Maybe the closer we get to it the more excited I will be, but right now I don't really care.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
4 teams. Some NHL superstars not playi as their from countries that aren't entered??
Better than all star game / festivals for sure.....but as far as international best in the world goes.....Ide rank it after behind 72, 76, 80, 81, 84, 87, 91, 96, 98, 02, 06, 10, 14, 16 .....yea....right behind those.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am basically just looking at it as way better then an All Star game. I will watch it but not with as much attention or care as the Olympics in 26 or even close really. Will be cool to get to see McDavid back in a Canada sweater with all the top guys.

Reactions: Voight

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
I'll say it, this is borderline exhibition hockey to me. The 2026 Olympics will be a blast. I can't wait. I don't like the idea of Russia not playing in it as it takes away what could be such great hockey, and it penalizes a lot of players that have nothing to do with anything going on in the world. Too many great players in the NHL on Russia not being able to showcase their talent or play for their country either in the 4 Nations in 2025 or possibly even the Olympics. Not good. So that alone makes it less competitive for me and I for one have never liked boycotting and not allowing a country to compete in things like this.

Secondly, how much of an exhibition-like feel will this have? Is McDavid going to go full out for this tournament? Will Makar and MacKinnon play hard against Rantanen two days after playing together in Colorado? I think there is more to lose with the Olympics but my thought is that this won't be the competitive tournament in 2025 that some might think it will be. The Olympics is the Olympics. Mario and Yzerman certainly cost themselves a bit healthwise by playing in 2002. But it was worth it. Would anyone do this in 2025?

Thoughts?
Count me among those who have next to zero interest in this 4 team “tournament.”

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don think players will be giving their best they ay they would at the Olympics. If you're going to go all-in it isn't worth it for what amounts to a couple of exhibition games. Winning it will just be a footnote on the resume of most if not all the guys on the winning team.

I am basically just looking at it as way better then an All Star game. I will watch it but not with as much attention or care as the Olympics in 26 or even close really. Will be cool to get to see McDavid back in a Canada sweater with all the top guys.

The last best on best tournament he played in was the 2015 WJC a decade ago.

(By best on best I mean the WJC is basically the Olympics for the U20 players, i.e. its the best young players in the world playing against each other)

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No interest right now, but will watch (if I'm available ) when it's on, like pretty much everyone else (on HFB) who isn't interested right now.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
It's a nothing tournament in my eyes. Just makes the NHL schedule extra busy.

Russia being in or out has literally zero impact. If they were in, Finland and Sweden would opt out so you would have a three nations tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad