Who does Vegas take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I don't expect a trade from our D either - not before the draft. Any forward we get back would have to be protected and that means going 7-3-1.

Which probably would prompt vegas to take McNabb instead of Lewis. Why? Because taking McNabb would hurt us the most. If a pick doesn't help them that much then they will look to see what hurts us. We are vegas' main geographic/division rivals.
They aren't here to do us any favors. they can improve simply by hurting their rivals.

Taking McNabb in this situation leaves us with 2 vets and Forbort, Gravel, and LaDue. Two second year guys and a rookie. LaDue is still a rookie. Plus we have no one in the 6-7 spots. A strength is now instantly a weakness again.

I think Vegas takes Forbort over McNabb if you go this route. Hard to say who LA values more but I think they don't want to lose Forbort.

McNabb must be exposed no matter what to meet requirements of expansion I believe.

If they move Amart, they can go the 7-3-1 road and protect Lewis.

I think Vegas will get enough dman, they need quality forwards. Lewis would be my pick.

LA could also throw them an incentive not to take Lewis or McNabb.

Or

Vegas can take McNabb and trade him.

So many variables.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I doubt there is any realistic way to trade a D before the exp draft, for the simple reason that most teams have the same D protection problem as the kings.

My preferred options:

Vegas takes Brown or Gaborik with our 1st but at minimum a 3rd rounder comes back.

Blake gets McPhee to take McNabb with a mid round pick.

Most Likely option:

Kings offer to expose Amart but try to get something in return. If its true that McPhee will want veteran D's then why not Amart. I love the guy but he's not worth 4m playing his offside. The kings don't have a shut down rhd to pair with him. Losing Lewis (and they will take and flip him) at his price will really hurt our already putrid bottom 6. With this option at least the Kings free up 4m to improve elsewhere.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I doubt there is any realistic way to trade a D before the exp draft, for the simple reason that most teams have the same D protection problem as the kings.

My preferred options:

Vegas takes Brown or Gaborik with our 1st but at minimum a 3rd rounder comes back.

Blake gets McPhee to take McNabb with a mid round pick.

Most Likely option:

Kings offer to expose Amart but try to get something in return. If its true that McPhee will want veteran D's then why not Amart. I love the guy but he's not worth 4m playing his offside. The kings don't have a shut down rhd to pair with him. Losing Lewis (and they will take and flip him) at his price will really hurt our already putrid bottom 6. With this option at least the Kings free up 4m to improve elsewhere.

If Vegas takes Brown or Gaborik with the pick it would be through expansion. No need to also lose McNabb.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think KA views Amart as a trade able asset. He has some value on a good contract, you don't want to lose him for free.

Guess it is possible if they are desperate for cap space.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think KA views Amart as a trade able asset. He has some value on a good contract, you don't want to lose him for free.

Guess it is possible if they are desperate for cap space.

Of course not, but for a team to take him in a trade he has to be significantly better than the last D they are protecting...not likely.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think Vegas takes Forbort over McNabb if you go this route. Hard to say who LA values more but I think they don't want to lose Forbort.

McNabb must be exposed no matter what to meet requirements of expansion I believe.

If they move Amart, they can go the 7-3-1 road and protect Lewis.

I think Vegas will get enough dman, they need quality forwards. Lewis would be my pick.

LA could also throw them an incentive not to take Lewis or McNabb.

Or

Vegas can take McNabb and trade him.

So many variables.

trading one of Muzzin/martinez before the draft leaves forbort as the 3rd defenseman protected in a 7-3-1

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Think the Kings will trade a D for F, protect 7-3-1 and Vegas takes McNabb

That'd be my hope.

Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, Player-we-trade-Muzzin-or-Martinez-for
Doughty, Muzzin or Martinez, Forbort
Quick

Who is our seventh forward that we protect? Dowd? Clifford? Do we protect Brown as a sign of solidarity?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Dowd produced more but Shore is 2 years younger. Not protecting clifford - at least I wouldn't.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You'd have to think it's Lewis right now. From next door in Utah, low maintenance, experienced vet, relatively cheap, signed for 3 more years. One of those glue guys we complain about, but eventually find out that we'll miss when/if he's gone. Just like Stoll or Regehr.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I think Vegas takes gabby with the thought he will retire before the contract expires he has been hurt so much how many times does a guy want to go thru rehab ,he as made prett good money and you would think he has to be setup for retirement pretty well ..........hope it's not with next years pick heard it was a better draft class then but who knows

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I think it's going to be this year's 2nd (41st OA?) and next year's 1st along with Dustin Brown.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
After that what is Blake getting to make the Kings a contender?

He would still need to get 2 top 6 wingers. One of those holes can be fixed by signing Joe Thornton and moving Carter to #1RW giving the Kings 3 centers, so if one of Kopitar or Thornton go down to injury you can move Carter back to C and elevate Gaborik to the top 6. The other hole can be fixed through free agency, which looks weak but there are players who can create offense if given the minutes and being paired with Kopitar and Carter should make life easier. Or you can trade either Muzzin or Martinez for a #1LW which is rumored to be happening behind the scenes. Forbort looks ready to take the next step and it would also eliminate the number of bone headed plays and bad positioning that plagued Muzzin and Martinez last season. Blake and Stevens have said they want a faster team capable of creating more offense, you aren't going to get that coming back with Brown and Gaborik in the top 6.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012

1) Rasmussen with the 11th OA!!! :yo:

2) Trade Muzzin for either Kane or Drouin & promote a new D from within!!! :yo::yo:

3) Blake pulls Kubalik out of his @$$ and the Czech scores 20-30 goals in his rookie season!!! :yo::yo::yo:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I wonder if Montreal who could use an upgrade at D would do a Amart for McCarron and 2-2nd rounders since they have 4 of them with 3 in the 2018 draft???

could allow us to package Gabby + cash, McNabb and some picks non of which would be a 1st..

Gabby, McNabb, 2017 3rd, 2017 5th and 2018 2nd??? would McPhee do that type of deal if we cover say $1 mill of Gabby salary this season???

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Because signing a 38 yr old (as of july 2) center to a 3 yr (min of what he wants) deal doesn't make the Kings a playoff team. Doughty aside, their core is aging, what they don't need is another older forward on a LTC.

I think the Sharks are gonna sign him and move Marleau, from the snippets I've read.

WHo should sign him, the Preds. Their lack of center strength was badly exposed when RJ went down. With the addition of a 2nd line center, they are better next year for a deep playoff run if their d stays healthy. They're closer than the Kings, right now.

If Luc and Blake want to build the Kings into a contender, it's not something that will take 1 or 2 seasons. But at least the fact they have identified they need to be faster on offense is a good step forward.
I think they will begin the moves to make them a younger, faster team. But it takes time. and this year , the expansion draft threw a monkey wrench in the mix, esp with other GM's needing to shed top players and not risk losing them to Vegas.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if Montreal who could use an upgrade at D would do a Amart for McCarron and 2-2nd rounders since they have 4 of them with 3 in the 2018 draft???

could allow us to package Gabby + cash, McNabb and some picks non of which would be a 1st..

Gabby, McNabb, 2017 3rd, 2017 5th and 2018 2nd??? would McPhee do that type of deal if we cover say $1 mill of Gabby salary this season???

They need an upgrade at D and should be looking at AMart or Muzzin. They also need a center/forward to help with the o. Radulov was a nice find but Patches (141 goals in the last 4 yrs, 4th in the NHL) needs help. Brendan Gallagher's been a bit of a disappointment, but Byron did good last year, which is good for them .
I love McCarron's size and I think they are hoping next year he'll bust out. But maybe for the right price, that d they need, they'd move him.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
They need an upgrade at D and should be looking at AMart or Muzzin. They also need a center/forward to help with the o. Radulov was a nice find but Patches (141 goals in the last 4 yrs, 4th in the NHL) needs help. Brendan Gallagher's been a bit of a disappointment, but Byron did good last year, which is good for them .
I love McCarron's size and I think they are hoping next year he'll bust out. But maybe for the right price, that d they need, they'd move him.

Alec Martinez
Nic Dowd

for

Mike McCarron

2 - 2018 2nd rounders (Capitals and Blackhawks)...

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
To me, McCarron doesn't project out to be anything more than a bottom 6 guy. Was not impressed with what I saw from him this year. I think the Kings could do better than him if they are looking to trade AMart.

I don't think there is a match with the Habs, they don't have anyone in that forward group who would be enticing although I think Lehkonen has the potential to have a good sophomore season.

I'd prefer to target a guy like Connor Brown from the Leafs.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
To me, McCarron doesn't project out to be anything more than a bottom 6 guy. Was not impressed with what I saw from him this year. I think the Kings could do better than him if they are looking to trade AMart.

I don't think there is a match with the Habs, they don't have anyone in that forward group who would be enticing although I think Lehkonen has the potential to have a good sophomore season.

I'd prefer to target a guy like Connor Brown from the Leafs.

McCarron plus 2 2018 2nd rounders to me is a better deal... Mac slides into the 3C spot, shoring that up while the 2 picks could be used to get rid of Gabby.... So its s multi tier scenario that frees about $9 MILLION. In cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad