Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I have created a poll to see who would L.A fans would pick at each of our possible landing spots.

I will assume Lafreniere would be chosen if we get the first pick but who do the majority of us want at each spot after.

After the number 2 pick is selected by the majority, he joins Lafreniere as ineligible for the following rounds.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
If this thread should not have been created or poster here please feel free to remove it. Just bored and curious what our fan base wants.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I would love to see the kings try and trade down with New Jersey if the got the 2 pick hopefully picking up 2 1st rounders and throwing in Kupari if needed to sweeten the deal.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If this thread should not have been created or poster here please feel free to remove it. Just bored and curious what our fan base wants.

Personally, I don't think we create enough threads. Most everything is put under one topic and some questions that come up should be seen by more of us.

But not me. My threads always blow.:snide:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
If we get the 2nd yeah maybe I'd try to trade it everyone not Lafreniere is in the same tier for me. Get more assets I guess. Voted trade pick.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
We don't know if funky is from the future and coming back to take our temperature on drafting second overall

If I was from the future I would be coming back to take bets on who we take at number two

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Byfield pretty easy, these big centers are hard to find.

I would love to see the kings try and trade down with New Jersey if the got the 2 pick hopefully picking up 2 1st rounders and throwing in Kupari if needed to sweeten the deal.

If this were a couple of years ago, i'd agree. However, they don't need volume anymore, they need quality.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield pretty easy, these big centers are hard to find.

If this were a couple of years ago, i'd agree. However, they don't need volume anymore, they need quality.

And that's why Byfield is #2 for me--he's not JUST a 'big center,' he's got rocket skates like wheeler and phenomenal hands/shooting to go with it. A totally unique specimen, a guy that could put it all together and be absolutely unstoppable. Guarantee you if it weren't for Lafreniere people would be absolutely falling over themselves to draft Byfield and oozing compliments over him but Lafreniere has been #1 overall in this draft for like 4 years.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
And that's why Byfield is #2 for me--he's not JUST a 'big center,' he's got rocket skates like wheeler and phenomenal hands/shooting to go with it. A totally unique specimen, a guy that could put it all together and be absolutely unstoppable. Guarantee you if it weren't for Lafreniere people would be absolutely falling over themselves to draft Byfield and oozing compliments over him but Lafreniere has been #1 overall in this draft for like 4 years.

Byfield is, what, almost a year younger than Lafreniere too, right? That’s a huge gap when we’re talking prospects of this age range so he could become an absolute monster.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield is, what, almost a year younger than Lafreniere too, right? That’s a huge gap when we’re talking prospects of this age range so he could become an absolute monster.

Yep. Byfield is August 19, 2002, Laf is october 11, 2001. Byfield won't even be 18 until around when the preseason would normally be. That's insane. He's also already listed at 215 but someone mentioned last week that now he's already closer to 225-230 (have to find the source, was audio).

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Two months ago I would have said no-brainer BPA (or at least in my book, MVPA), which is Byfield. Now I'm much more unsure since I'm convinced the Kings turnaround will be much faster than we think now that Cal Petersen and Gabe Vilardi are here (plus Frk).

Byfield to me needs a couple of seasons to ripen. If I want someone who maybe can be big impact immediately, maybe it's Stutzle. But if the Kings scouting report says Drysdale is ready enough to be play on the big club, sheltered by Doughty, then him.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I would trade the pick, depending on what we can get in return. If we can trade for a pick in the top 7, and a second 1st rounder, I would do that deal. I think after Laf, it's a bit of a toss up (although Stuts and Byfield have an edge for nos. 2-3). If we can get Rossi and another 1st rounder, I would be very happy with the trade.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Two months ago I would have said no-brainer BPA (or at least in my book, MVPA), which is Byfield. Now I'm much more unsure since I'm convinced the Kings turnaround will be much faster than we think now that Cal Petersen and Gabe Vilardi are here (plus Frk).

Byfield to me needs a couple of seasons to ripen. If I want someone who maybe can be big impact immediately, maybe it's Stutzle. But if the Kings scouting report says Drysdale is ready enough to be play on the big club, sheltered by Doughty, then him.

Even if the turnaround is this season--wouldn't it be great to have a Kopitar replacement arrive in two years?

If the team is that good this year, wouldn't it be better with that addition with additional cost control later?

With respect, I think drafting for "now" is a mistake. I know "now" means "now AND later," but I don't see the next two years as so valuable that it determines our draft pick.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I honestly have lightened up on the draft.

Stanley Cup winning teams have different staples. Kopi was 11OA, Doughty was 2 of course, Quick was no where near the first round. Carter wasn’t top ten. On and on.

After Lafreniere, it all seems about equal. Can make an argument for most of these guys.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Even if the turnaround is this season--wouldn't it be great to have a Kopitar replacement arrive in two years?

If the team is that good this year, wouldn't it be better with that addition with additional cost control later?

With respect, I think drafting for "now" is a mistake. I know "now" means "now AND later," but I don't see the next two years as so valuable that it determines our draft pick.

Well we call Byfield a "Kopitar replacement" but even Kopitar took a couple years to become Kopitar under Terry Murray. On top of that, I feel due to his age and accomplishments (or lack thereof on the world stage) Byfield is 2+ years away from the Kings. So that means he's likely four years away.

On the other hand, we don't necessarily need to "replace Kopitar". We've had Kopitar for years now and missed the playoffs. What we need is to bring in a new 1-2-3 center punch for today's NHL and we may have that in the kajillion nice center prospects we already have in Vilardi, Turcotte, JAD, Kupari, Thomas and whomever else emerges. Center is the last thing I'm worried about. I'm looking at LHD and to a lesser extent the goaltending pipeline behind Petersen and that's what I think we need. Do we need to draft to fix this? Not necessarily cuz UFA/trading, but them's the gaps I see.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well we call Byfield a "Kopitar replacement" but even Kopitar took a couple years to become Kopitar under Terry Murray. On top of that, I feel due to his age and accomplishments (or lack thereof on the world stage) Byfield is 2+ years away from the Kings. So that means he's likely four years away.

On the other hand, we don't necessarily need to "replace Kopitar". We've had Kopitar for years now and missed the playoffs. What we need is to bring in a new 1-2-3 center punch for today's NHL and we may have that in the kajillion nice center prospects we already have in Vilardi, Turcotte, JAD, Kupari, Thomas and whomever else emerges. Center is the last thing I'm worried about. I'm looking at LHD and to a lesser extent the goaltending pipeline behind Petersen and that's what I think we need. Do we need to draft to fix this? Not necessarily cuz UFA/trading, but them's the gaps I see.

Four years away from replacing Kopitar or making it pro? Because if you look at recent #2 picks... Kaapo Kakko, Andrei Svechnikov, Nolan Patrick, Patrik Laine, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart (should've been Draisaitl), Aleksander Barkov... that's a pretty top notch class of talent.

So you go back to forcing yourself to take a position of need in the present rather than take the best available player? So if you had a choice between Aleksander Barkov or Derek Forbort, you're going to go with Derek Forbort because of immediate need?

The Kings do have some decent goaltending prospects and left handed defensemen in the pipeline. I don't know what your concern is, but your dismissal of Byfield seems rather silly based on a bunch of unproven prospects who may not even make the NHL or transition to other positions (or get dealt to address those needs you're concerned with).

I'd rather gamble on the best talent available than address a need, which would be a stupid thing to do at #2, like selecting Hickey fourth overall.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think "Byfield is 4 years away from the nhl" is an incredibly bold claim.

I'm not explicitly saying we need to draft a C--hell, Laf is for sure a winger--just saying BPA all the way and if there's a guy with the upside to be part of that 1-2-3 C punch and push someone else to wing then Byfield is the guy.

Agree there's an LHD gap but IMO it's much easier to get a Muzzin than it is a blue-chip forward. We can get the Muzzin with assets; no one is giving up a top-3 pick forward for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad