Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Interesting. Kotkaniemi moved up to 8th. I have to agree with @Machinehead if we have our choice of Wahlstrom or Boqvist at 9? Ehrmagod. That would be awesome.

It wouldn't surprise me. I doubt it would happen but if Gorton could pull it off? Amazing.

The kid was outstanding at the U18s not surprised at all. In fact I still say Montreal takes him.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
If Zadina falls to 5, we have to pull the trigger and trade w/ Arizona. At 9 I'm hoping for Boqvist or Wahlstrom. It's going to be a very interesting 1st round.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I can't really see Yzerman identifying Zucc as a need.

Yzerman has a late 2nd this year. Effectively he has both his 1st and 2nd for next year tied up because of his deal with us--unless his team wins the Cup this year which will mean he'll probably have another late 2nd next year. Zuccarello as a rental IMO is worth more than both of those 2nd's combined. I think so anyway. We've cut way into their stockpile of prospects. Yzerman's not trading for Zuccarello.

Guys..I was only kidding but then again lol :sarcasm:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Boqvist and Wahlstron has been a consistent fallers and Kotkaniemi has been rising.
Nice Nice let them keep falling right to 9 :D
Montreal should make this first round very interesting. Do they try to trade down to get two top picks in the top 15? (they also have 4 second round picks to use in a trade), do they take the riser Kotkaniemi for the center position they need? or do they just play it safe and grab Zadina?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Thanks K. With my current job, I am in a position where I get to travel a lot. With datacenters in Switzerland, Finland and Sweden, I can combine my trips with hockey games. I live in Vienna, which is so close to the Czech Republic, that it's easy to see all these prospects play. The Carlson games were in Pardubice last week. 3 hours by train! The Sweden games I didn't get to go to, because I was in Budapest for the Division 1 Group A world championships haha. Switzerland vs Sweden at the Worlds in Copenhagen will probably be my last hockey game of the season to attend.

It's been a wild ride this whole season, following prospects and it is very exciting to see where these kids will be picked. CHL games in Zurich, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Brno, Liberec, SHL games in Stockholm and Goteborg, Liiga games in Helsinki, Lahti, Turku, Tampere, KHL games in Helsinki and Bratislava. Hell, I even traveled to Kladno (4 hours by train) to see Jagr when he came back to Europe.

I don't really talk about NA prospects because aside from the WHL (as a Thunderbirds fan) I don't watch any prospects in major juniors. European prospects, yes. I've seen my fair share of guys like Kupari, Dahlin, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, Kaut, Kravtsov, Bokk, Ylonen, Dostal, Annunen, Lauko, Jenik.

How was Ylonen, if you don't mind me asking? Only viewings I have of him is international play from a while ago, Mestis is nearly impossible to follow in NA.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How was Ylonen, if you don't mind me asking? Only viewings I have of him is international play from a while ago, Mestis is nearly impossible to follow in NA.

He was good along the boards and his shot was killing the opposing goalie. Mestis is a level below Liiga and you can tell. But for a 17 year old he was pretty dominant. His move to. Lahti is a good one for his development

Reactions: G0bias

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He was good along the boards and his shot was killing the opposing goalie. Mestis is a level below Liiga and you can tell. But for a 17 year old he was pretty dominant. His move to. Lahti is a good one for his development
Thanks. That's interesting and also good to hear as there's been at times reports of his shot and play without the puck needing some fine tuning.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
If he goes high, someone else we thought would go high before will be available. We’re right at the tail end of that grouping. I’d love to get 10OA too if it could be done without the insane overpayments people are proposing
Bouchard or Dobson are probably going to be the BPA at 9th. It doesn't seem like an offensive RHD is much of a need for you though, since you already have Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, and Pionk as offensive guys. Would you consider trading down a pick to get Kotkaniemi, and let the Oilers get the RHD they desperately need? How does this sound:

10th Overall, 2nd Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick, Caleb Jones

for

9th Overall, Vladislav Namestnikov

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who goes high tends to come in waves --- depending on tournaments, articles, reports, etc.

Dobson is on the tips of people's tongues at the moment, a few weeks ago - not so much.

These kinds of cycles are pretty normal.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Bouchard or Dobson are probably going to be the BPA at 9th. It doesn't seem like an offensive RHD is much of a need for you though, since you already have Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, and Pionk as offensive guys. Would you consider trading down a pick to get Kotkaniemi, and let the Oilers get the RHD they desperately need? How does this sound:

for

Pretty much every team needs an offensive RHD with 1st pair potential, haha. By the time the Rangers are competing again, Shattenkirk will be on the decline (and even if he re-ups after his current contract is done, anyone younger and worthwhile will likely be mentored by - not blocked - by Shattenkirk). DeAngelo is anything but a sure thing - if he's on the Rangers this year, there's a fair chance it's only because he's subject to waivers now. All things considered, Pionk did well this past season but he shouldn't be blocking someone with more potential, either.

Reactions: haveandare

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm going to be very disappointed if Dobson goes top 8 and none of Boqvist, Wahlstrom or Hughes slip to us.

Kotkaniemi sounds like a solid pick, but my heart is set on a faller or Dobson.

And Bouchard scares me.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

for

No way.

Contrary to what you believe right side D is not a particular strength for the Rangers. IMO it's one of our weaker areas.

As far as picks go we need quality more than quantity. IMO I'd be taking Dobson.

I would make a counter offer--Oilers trade us 10OA for 26OA and choice of Namestnikov or DeAngelo. You get a right defenseman or young established forward and you still have a first. I'd add in Spooner for the 2nd if you want to flesh the deal out more.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Who goes high tends to come in waves --- depending on tournaments, articles, reports, etc.

Dobson is on the tips of people's tongues at the moment, a few weeks ago - not so much.

These kinds of cycles are pretty normal.
It’s been like that with Kotka and Hughes too.

Whereas I feel Bouchard and Boqvist have been getting extra scrutiny.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I'm going to be very disappointed if Dobson goes top 8 and none of Boqvist, Wahlstrom or Hughes slip to us.

Kotkaniemi sounds like a solid pick, but my heart is set on a faller or Dobson.

And Bouchard scares me.
if dobson, boqvist, and hughes are all gone by 9 id assume someone has fell

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Tkachuk
5. Boqvist
6. Hughes
7. Wahlstrom
8. Dobson

Worst case scenario for me. Regardless of order.

Not to be a downer, but wouldn't worst case be if multiple of those guys were available but the Rangers opted not to pick them?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Not to be a downer, but wouldn't worst case be if multiple of those guys were available but the Rangers opted not to pick them?

Joined almost 10 years ago.

Pens 31st post to poop on a perfectly fine party.

And is unable to appreciate alliteration or assonance.

I've got you figured out.

But yes, you are definitely right.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Oilers might find themselves in the same place we found ourselves last year--where the second tier of players ended at 6 and the third tier began at 7. We're getting in on the tail end of the second tier and they might be starting on the third. So there's this great desire to move up even one spot. The idea we're set on the right side of our D is a little bit off. Shattenkirk is an okay defender when his knee isn't wonky--and a very good offensive player. No way is he an elite defenseman. Both Pionk and DeAngelo have a lot to prove still. Pionk has 28 NHL games and DeAngelo 71. Talented?--yeah but also small, inexperienced and still learning. At the moment I'd say Pionk is the best of them defensively speaking. That ain't saying a lot. This position isn't a strength of ours and I don't see any of them--Shattenkirk now or Pionk, DeAngelo in the future being a legit No. 1 D. Dobson--I could see that and possibly Bouchard. Rangers biggest need IMO is a No. 1 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad