Who could/should replace Michel Therrien?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pretty sure replacing MT with Boucher would be ridiculously pointless. We'd have yet another coach who's 100% devoted to his predetermined system. We need a coach who can embrace change.

You obviously don't know much about Boucher if you think that.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well, I don't give you any for criticizing me :sarcasm:. In any event, I'm trying to promote civil discourse on Hfboards, which I realize seems absurd; it has nothing to do with what I think of Therrien.

You just shut up! Civil discourse had nothing to do on HFBoards. It's always been like this and things aren't going to change anytime soon.

It's like you're trying to advocate for cold fusion or creationism.

:sarcasm:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You just shut up! Civil discourse had nothing to do on HFBoards. It's always been like this and things aren't going to change anytime soon.

It's like you're trying to advocate for cold fusion or creationism.

:sarcasm:

My expectancy for this place is appropriately low. :) My threshold for civility is somewhere between "shut up" and "you have no clue". You narrowly squeaked out a passing grade.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There is no rule. The Pens fired Therrien less than a year after a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. The Devils fired Julien after a 47-24-8 record just before the playoffs.

The team does what is best for it, especially over the long term.

I'm gravitating towards the conclusion that WS had: if the coach has to speak French, then the best one possible is Guy Boucher, and the window is fairly restrictive to land him. At the very least, I would hire him as an assistant, and impose him on MT. MT must be made to consult with him, and if he does not like it, he can resign. I would try to buy MT out anyway; wonder if there is a buy-out clause in these coach contracts.

If Boucher was the boy genius some posters here have him out to be, he wouldn't be 2+ years out of the NHL.

MB just signed Therrien to an extension and he is MB's guy(his hire) so it would look pretty bad on him to fire him from 2nd place overall after an ECF appearance...only on HF Boards is that logical.

Pretty sure replacing MT with Boucher would be ridiculously pointless. We'd have yet another coach who's 100% devoted to his predetermined system. We need a coach who can embrace change.

MB said the reason MT was his candidate is because he re-invented himself...wouldn't that be adapting and embracing chance?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Posts like this are silly, you should get some context before quoting someone, for your own sake.
There is pages and pages of people stating why they criticize MT, their main point seems to be his reluctance to adapt and adopt the youth-first approach he claimed he would at the start of the season.

You should probably do the same thing to...

Yeah people were critisizing him 3 years ago as well. We never had a better coach than MT 2.0 and some people still say he sucks for no reason.

Either way, he should be gone he is not a good NHL coach. Hated the day he was rehired and will be happy the day he is gone.

he is not a good NHL coach...We are no1 buddy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If Boucher was the boy genius some posters here have him out to be, he wouldn't be 2+ years out of the NHL.

Therrien was 3 years removed from ANY coaching job, so MAYBE he's even worse.

MB just signed Therrien to an extension and he is MB's guy(his hire) so it would look pretty bad on him to fire him from 2nd place overall after an ECF appearance...only on HF Boards is that logical.

Reminds me of Jacques Martin. As for 2nd place overall, give it time. I get the feeling we'll have a Leaf kind of season.

MB said the reason MT was his candidate is because he re-invented himself...wouldn't that be adapting and embracing chance?

He may be less toxic to players, but his system is still garbage.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Boucher got fired about a year and half ago. At least get your facts straight.
Also looking at the length of time a coach went without coaching to determine his ability is the dumbest thing you can do.
What if he didn't want to get back into it right away? What if he was waiting for a position to open up that didn't come? What if he wanted to step away from the NHL to regroup and improve on lower levels first? There could be a million reason as to why Boucher didn't get back in the NHL.
He definitely will though, it's only a matter of time.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What does that say about MT then? Wasn't he like out of the nhl for like 3-4 years?

The way you've been arguing in last few months is increasingly making no sense.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Boucher. And Robinson goes NOWHERE. We're quite happy with him in SJ, and I think he's happy there.

Still thinking of an answer. I'd love to have Larry Robinson back, but I think he only wants to be an assistant coach. He's been one most of his coaching career and when the Habs were hiring a new coaching staff, he said he'd be interested as an assistant. That isn't to say he wouldn't want to be head coach though.

That's everything I've heard, but apparently most Habs fans think that anyone would jump at the chance to coach the team... I don't think he wants to be a HC, otherwise he'd already be one. Plus if TMac goes in SJ, I'd want him to replace TMac (assuming he was comfortable stepping into that role).

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

Uh, he was fired midseason from Pittsburgh after their first cup final in 17 years and after signing an extension in the summer. Why? Because his players tuned him out. They replaced him when they were barely in the playoffs and Bylsma won the cup the same year.

As for 2nd overall in the NHL, just give it another week and we could be down to 12th. And another few weeks down to 20th. 20 teams within 5 points of us.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think Sutter is so underrated. I believe he's currently the best coach in the league.

He gets less respect because he's a blue collar guy. Amazing motivator. He was amazing in Calgary as well.

The Peter Principle took over when he became GM.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think Sutter is so underrated. I believe he's currently the best coach in the league.

He gets less respect because he's a blue collar guy. Amazing motivator. He was amazing in Calgary as well.

The Peter Principle took over when he became GM.

I agree with Sutter being great as well behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00