Who can dethrone Jack Hughes?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think anyone can touch Hughes right now. It's pretty likely he sets a few USDP records this season and with a very strong American team will probably light up the WJC. I'd bet that no one even comes close to challenging him. The media will likely pick someone and run with the narrative that they are challenging for clicks and views but they really won't.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yea and before that it was Jake Wise after he broke some of Eichel’s records

Even if you go back and look at mocks from the year before Dahlin and Svechnikov flip flopped back and forth in most posters minds for the better part of 2 years before the draft. Literally no one else ever holds a spot at #1. I don't know what people were smoking during that time but those two were basically considered the consensus top 2 picks for almost 24 months.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No one. This is his draft year.
The only 'who can dethrone' narratives will come closer to that draft when media needs to stir up some kind of race/discussion to fill air-time and articles.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes will go #1.

What should happen? I believe a center or defensemen who projects as a likely 1 should go ahead of a player who projects as a winger.

Therefore, its hard to tell right now because there are variables here. As of now, I would say Byram is the only defensemen who looks like he has a good chance at unseating Hughes among D, while there are a number of C like Turcotte, Newhook, Cozens, Krebs, Dach, Suzuki, Zegras who have a season to prove themselves as C's who look like 1's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, according to all the information i can find he's 5'10. That's 1 inch shorter than Sidney Crosby. If he's as skilled as he's supposed to be, then he can play center in the NHL.

USA Hockey lists him as 5'10" 166 lbs. Is there going to be all this hand wringing if he puts on one more inch and 20 lbs?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, according to all the information i can find he's 5'10. That's 1 inch shorter than Sidney Crosby. If he's as skilled as he's supposed to be, then he can play center in the NHL.

Hughes is a twig. The size does bother me, but I watched Barzal skate circles around the NHL all season. If Hughes has that type of skating, smarts, and skill by age 18 then sign me up.

Whether he stays at center or transitions to wing, he's the top talent in this class. I think he stays at center in the NHL. As an Isles fan, a Barzal and Hughes duo at center makes me drool. With Wahlstrom likely ready to be his wingman again, there is built in chemistry right out of the gate.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No one. Newhook plays in the bchl and Kakko is a winger. Even if Hughes has a bit of a disappointing season he's still going first.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I doubt it, maybe Kakko if he has a great season? Krebs or Newhook could also see a push.

If we can learn something from this last draft and the Matthews-Laine draft is that teams hold the most value in a Center than any other position. Except if you have a generational talent in defense like Dahlin. Montréal and Arizona both took centers ahead of wingers and the rest of the 1st round was literally centers ranked further getting drafted. Center is the most valuable position in the game therefore I think Kakko will never beat Hughes at 1st overall especially with Hughes talent. He’s no Kotkaniemi or Barrett Hayton here.

I think most of the highly touted center prospects, if developing accordingly, will dominate this year’s top 5-7.

Hughes
Newhook
Cozens
Dach
Lavoie
Turcotte
Suzuki(if big season)

Then add guys like Kakko, Byram, Krebs, York and that unknown kid from the Q or Europe like Hischier, PLD, Huberdeau and Kotkaniemi.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He can dethrone himself.

Plenty of players look like they will be stars in their D-1 year only to have a less than stellar draft year. As was pointed above, there could also be an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad